PRS 2011 modified to sound like an acoustic

lzosimo

hi all
i just bought a 2011 PRS Studio. its got the 2 narrowfields and a 5708 in the bridge. the thing is when you split the coil using the push/pull on the tone control it sounds like an acoustic guitar. really thin and trebly. someone was into the guitar as i can see copper shielding has been added to the control cavity. id like to put the guitar back to stok but im not sure whats been modified.
has anyone ever heard of this mod? maybe theres an issue with the bridge pikup? at this point im not sure if its been modded or theres a defect altho the full on humbucker sounds pretty normal to me,
thanks in advance

You should be able to find a wiring diagram on the PRS web site to verify the wiring. They may have wired it to put the split out of phase to make it sound that way. If that was done it may have been done accidently if they didn't know much about what they were doing. That would also depend on how many wires the pickup has. The best thing to do is find the wiring diagram.

I’d add pi
You should be able to find a wiring diagram on the PRS web site to verify the wiring. They may have wired it to put the split out of phase to make it sound that way. If that was done it may have been done accidently if they didn't know much about what they were doing. That would also depend on how many wires the pickup has. The best thing to do is find the wiring diagram.
id add pictures but don’t know how. I’ve got a diagram also.
Anyway I can send them to you privately?
Thx

I’d add pi

Thx
You have to use a third-party image-hosting website like Imgur or Smugmug. Then you link to those website images directly.

The sound you get when splitting the HB does not sound normal - either Something Went Wrong when shielding the cavity, or a wire has come loose (or bad solder joint finally failed).

I’d add pi

Thx
Adding to what shinksma said, I think you have to have a certain post count to be able to post links to images. I don't think it will let you send them privately either until you reach that post count. It isn't many posts but I think there is a number like 10. Maybe someone that knows more about that will chime in.

Back