Private Stock Questions

Thanks.

Ok, so what are some features that you've gotten on your private stock guitars you really liked? I'm taking more guitar and electronics, not inlays.

OK...Partial list (sure I forgot some), not all in PS guitars but most:
Addition of Piezo to models not available with Piezo (example Santana or 408)
Hollow or Semihollow construction on models not typically available with this.
Combinations of neck shapes/scale lengths not otherwise available together
Graphite truss rod.
Specific fret size/shape or fingerboard radius (including compound radius)
Pickup types no longer available in core, or not available in a specific model, or combinations not available (including 3 pickups)
A Roland Midi system.
P/p pots or minitoggles for coil splits, phase, series parallel, "blower" switches
Bridge options not available outside PS (locking Gen 3) or on the model you want (example, custom 24 with a stoptail Piezo, SC 245 with a trem, a Floyd rose) bridge uprouting.
Custom control knob/switch layout.
Different finish top coats...Nitro, hi gloss or satin or "unfinished" depending on neck material (I do not consider this just "cosmetic")

Last edited:
Good feedback so far. I'm thinking of a slightly longer scale. I love the pop of a strat neck pick up, but also love a nice humbuckers guitar. I'm also pretty set on flame maple front, back, and neck to balance the semi hollow and rosewood or cocobolo middle. Not sure on the bridge yet. I like the tom style bridge with the stop piece but I read that the tremelos with a metal block have more sustain.

Sounds like the kind of thing to experiment and prototype with on a less expensive instrument.
That's what I did. Wood choice and piezo tone was from one guitar. Finish and neck carve was another. Roland installed on another.

Thanks.

Ok, so what are some features that you've gotten on your private stock guitars you really liked? I'm taking more guitar and electronics, not inlays.
DGT neck carve or whatever you consider to be your most comfortable carve.
Satin nitro finish on the flamed maple neck gives the neck a smooth feel. Shawn Nuthall really liked that one.
Graphtech Ghost Piezo and MIDI System
Generation III Trem with locking saddles. That made a difference in the amount of presence the guitar had. PITA to change strings though.
Kingwood fretboard

Last edited:
OK...so you're starting with a 513 (or 509) or SuperEagle platform (depending if you want 25.25 or 25.375 scale length) for a set neck. Either could be done (I think) in Semihollow with trem or 2 piece stop tail bridge. The Super Eagle is closer...since already has a maple top/back and neck...you'd have options probably for 2 or 3 pickups...with foil splits if you want (but they won't do an onboard pre-amp). The NF3, DC3 (25.25) or 305 (25.5) models are pretty "Strat-like" too...but bolt on...and I haven't seen a Semihollow version. There was a Semihollow version of the Brent Mason...but that was a collection model (so...maybe they'd do that). Sounds like a good start!

Yeah, 509 is close. I know they will put a super eagle scale length on it. Do you think if I found another companies preamp they would be ok with it? I definitely want three humbuckers and a satin neck. My favorite neck so far was a fender custom shop v neck but the vintage pattern neck sounds interesting. I'll have to try it. Locking tuners is a must too.

Are you talking about a 22 or 24 fret neck? Three full sized humbuckers will have a better chance of fitting with a 22 fret neck. Otherwise, you need to look at using a 408N sized(i.e. Paul's Guitar) or a narrowfield humbucker for some of them.

Last edited:
From my personal experience, my dealer was in the ps vault last Thursday, and presented me with wood choices. I didn't care for anything I saw, so I told him that I would wait for next time to see what comes up.

These things happen, and it pays to have patience and wait it out.

You may want to get a used SE to try out some of your electronic ideas before you plunk down the bucks for what should be a keeper. Just a thought. Remember that pedals and preamps are evolving also, so what you like today may be different tomorrow.

From my personal experience, my dealer was in the ps vault last Thursday, and presented me with wood choices. I didn't care for anything I saw, so I told him that I would wait for next time to see what comes up.

These things happen, and it pays to have patience and wait it out.

Do you live too far away to go with your dealer? I'm surprised how many people let their dealer pick out the wood.

I hear what you're saying though. With that type of investment patience is important. Otherwise, a year later you won't be happy. I still have a couple months of savings, maybe more if I get something real crazy.

Is there a reason why there is only one f hole on the non traditional hollowbodys people have built? I'm guessing in order to have a decent amount of wood you couldn't have access panels in the back.

Is there a reason why there is only one f hole on the non traditional hollowbodys people have built? I'm guessing in order to have a decent amount of wood you couldn't have access panels in the back.

1 f-hole tends to be standard operating procedure for semi-hollows, 2 for full-hollows (save for the latter sometimes having a centre block).

They do it on Core models as well - the Custom 22 and 24 S/H only had one f-hole.

They're generally semi-hollow bodies. You need an access panel to get to the electronics. Plus the single f hole allows you more options for placing controls. Well I guess you could drop the electronics in via the f hole like on a 335.

With the Hollowbody design, the two f holes work fine because you can install the electronics through the bridge pickup rout or the battery access hole on the side (for piezo guitars).

Do you live too far away to go with your dealer? I'm surprised how many people let their dealer pick out the wood.

Not everyone is looking for the same thing in a guitar, even when it comes to a PS. Some prefer a different buying experience. Some aren't looking for be-all, end-all, personal statements, they just like an upgraded guitar that feels and/or sounds a bit tastier.

I like it when my dealer or PRS picks out the wood! There's an element of chance that's kind of fun.

So when I ordered my first PS, an acoustic, I resolved to let my dealer pick materials. Turned out my dealer snagged Paul R. Smith, and they tapped/picked the woods for the most toneful (and gorgeous) guitar I've ever played. Also I wanted a simple, understated look, though the standard appointments were fancy enough anyway.

I wound up with a piece of Adirondack spruce they were holding for one of their endorsers (his name was written on the wood set, my dealer later emailed pics).

I didn't want to spin my wheels over this grain or that one. I knew it'd sound great and look the business.

My electric PS guitars were dealer stock or ordered the same way. They're winners.

This!!!!
I feel like my dealer and the PRS guys know more about tonewoods than I do. I have trusted them to pick the best looking, best sounding woods possible, and have not been disappointed. (I have worked with Brian, and he sends me a few options from the vault from which to choose)

Kevin

Not everyone is looking for the same thing in a guitar, even when it comes to a PS. Some prefer a different buying experience. Some aren't looking for be-all, end-all, personal statements, they just like an upgraded guitar that feels and/or sounds a bit tastier.

I like it when my dealer or PRS picks out the wood! There's an element of chance that's kind of fun.

So when I ordered my first PS, an acoustic, I resolved to let my dealer pick materials. Turned out my dealer snagged Paul R. Smith, and they tapped/picked the woods for the most toneful (and gorgeous) guitar I've ever played. Also I wanted a simple, understated look, though the standard appointments were fancy enough anyway.

I wound up with a piece of Adirondack spruce they were holding for one of their endorsers (his name was written on the wood set, my dealer later emailed pics).

I didn't want to spin my wheels over this grain or that one. I knew it'd sound great and look the business.

My electric PS guitars were dealer stock or ordered the same way. They're winners.

This!!!!
I feel like my dealer and the PRS guys know more about tonewoods than I do. I have trusted them to pick the best looking, best sounding woods possible, and have not been disappointed. (I have worked with Brian, and he sends me a few options from the vault from which to choose)

Kevin

We are like-minded on this.

Also, they know more than I do about what woods, electronics, and pickup combinations work. While I really and truly love a beautiful instrument, the more important thing (for me) is how it sounds and plays in the context of what I do.

I hear what you're saying though. With that type of investment patience is important. Otherwise, a year later you won't be happy. I still have a couple months of savings, maybe more if I get something real crazy.

I live in Florida and my dealer is in Connecticut. The cost for me to travel to Maryland is prohibitive, but I trust my dealer, as he knows exactly what I want. I'm quite explicit in my descriptions and I send him lots of pictures. Sooner or later, I'm hoping he finds me the wood.

Even though I had the experience of going to PRS and picking out all the woods, I was with my dealer and Paul Miles, and my dealer and I had multiple conversations beforehand regarding just about every detail. It never hurts to do your homework ahead of time, you don't get much time in the vault. Because Paul knew exactly what I wanted, he had three possible tops, the body wood, neck blank, and the fret board picked. It was a 10 minute decision.

Last edited:
What DF said - go in with open ears. Paul, Tina and Brian were my greatest friends that day. Brian and I had exchanged many e-mails (at one point, I think Brian put a blocker on my e-mail address!), but I still made changes in the room, even to stuff I was 100% decided on. All three of them made suggestions that day that put the final result way over the top - and there were even changes made afterwards at their request. For the most part, they won't tell you no on something because it's your dream, but they will tell you if you're heading in a direction they think will leave you less than pleased.

I hesitate to talk about it only because I really want to do it again, but every time I mention it, they renew the restraining order...

Back