Premier Guitar Review Of Alex Lifeson SE.

In my humble opinion, SE AL isn't as good as other USA made PRS guitars...
I played it at a guitar center few weeks ago. It wasn't better than Luna guitars... not to mention about Taylor and Martin.
We need S2 satin acoustic guitars!

In my humble opinion, SE AL isn't as good as other USA made PRS guitars...

They're not made in the US, are they? I haven't got to try one so I can't really comment on them...

They're not made in the US, are they? I haven't got to try one so I can't really comment on them...

Honestly, SE Acoustic line is too overpriced and doesn't meet quality standard of Martin, Taylor, Luna, Epiphone Masterbilt guitars...

I think the best two are Martin and Taylor. Epiphone Acoustic is third, Luna, Yamaha, Takemine, Breedlove take next ranks.
SE Acoustic is like rank 15th good acoustic guitar you can try at guitar center.
SE AL felt so cheap ... . Its neck's gloss finish is too thick and action was artificial.
I played it for a while and I found it's more like a lower-end $150 guitar from Rogue. A $100 Rogue guitar feels and plays almost identical to SE AL...

I think there's too drastic gap between USA made PRS acoustic and SE acoustic..

Last edited:
What is an 'artificial' action?

That's the first time I've ever heard an action described that way...

It means it has too much of gloss and feels unnatural to certain degree... it tries to be an acoustic but the natural elements that make a good acoustic guitar seemed to be taken away by intentionally making SE's materials cheaper than that of USA made acoustic guitars.
I compare SE AL to Rogue guitars. Maybe SE AL is a little better but overall, they're comparable. SE AL costs six times more though.

Luna, Ephiphone Masterbilt and Yamaha acoustic guitars are much better than SE Acoustic today.

Last edited:
jeepers...

The Premier Guitar review labeled it "insanely playable."

That's quite a difference of opinion!

jeepers...

The Premier Guitar review labeled it "insanely playable."

That's quite a difference of opinion!

If they haven't played Luna, Yamaha, Epiphone Masterbilt, Breedlove, Taylor and Martin, I can understand that.
Epiphone Masterbilt acoustic guitars are still much better than SE Angelus A30E, AL.

Have you tried Epiphone Masterbilt? It costs less than $500. It comes very close to Taylor....
The PRS SE Acoustic line came from somewhere where Taylor, Martin, Luna, Yamaha, Epiphone Masterbilt don't exist...

They look like PRS but something is missing...........
It seems like people at SE Acoustic factory haven't played Epiphone Masterbilt and Taylor....
If I were Paul, I would get rid of all SE Acoustic lines and start USA made S2 line even if USA made models become more expensive.

Don't believe magazines... they haven't published a single negative review. Have you seen them publishing a complaint? Trust me, they won't.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that the reviewers at Premier Guitar have played their share of other brands.

I'm pretty sure the same can be said for PRSh and Alex Lifeson.

And the PG review did have negatives, such as low end response. But, fit, finish and playability were impeccable in their view.

But, to each their own.

I'm pretty sure that the reviewers at Premier Guitar have played their share of other brands.

I'm pretty sure the same can be said for PRSh and Alex Lifeson.

And the PG review did have negatives, such as low end response. But, fit, finish and playability were impeccable in their view.

But, to each their own.

Yes..but I'm sure they will change their review after trying Epiphone Masterbilt acoustic guitar which costs $100 less than SE AL..

http://www.themusiczoo.com/product/...MCE-AcousticElectric-Guitar-Vintage-Sunburst/

Epiphone Masterbilt is far more natural acoustic guitar than all SE Acoustics.
It offers so much more at much less cost.
In action, neck, fretboard, body resonance, electronics, Masterbilt is still light years ahead although it's much older than SE Acoustic.
SE AL felt very plastic compared to Masterbilt.

Taylor and Masterbilt were both made in Mexican factories but they have minimum of that mass-produced factory feel. SE Acoustic line has a plenty of that.

Last edited:
shhh...Dont tell Alex that since he is playing the Se version live on some gigs. These are the first negative comments about this guitar considering I was going to buy one tomorrow!

shhh...Dont tell Alex that since he is playing the Se version live on some gigs. These are the first negative comments about this guitar considering I was going to buy one tomorrow!
No way.. they don't play SE. Orianthi for instance, plays core Custom 24. She has an SE Signature but why would she bother with SE when she can play core PRS?
Tremonti also never played an SE Tremonti....there's no video record of him even touching an SE Tremonti.
Clint Lowery played his SE only a few times. Mike Mushok has his own private stock 7 string so he played his SE sig only few times as well....
Santana has more than six signature core models with him when his on tour.. He has his own guitar technician. They don't carry an SE Santana.

SE signatures have famous guitarists' names on them but they were actually played only a few times by them for minor shows and instructional videos. Paul should remove SE line and upgrade them all to USA made S2.

Last edited:
Yes..but I'm sure they will change their review after trying Epiphone Masterbilt acoustic guitar which costs $100 less than SE AL...

It's really a shame that you haven't a clue as to what you're talking about.

The Lifeson SE was designed to be a stage guitar, without a ton of low end, to prevent feedback playing with a band. In other words, it's built for a purpose.

I played the Private Stock Prototype at the PRS factory in June; it's pretty much the same concept.

The Epis are junk, as are the others you mentioned except for Martin and Taylor's US lines.

As to comparing the US acoustics and the SEs, keep in mind that the USA PRS acoustics are Private Stock and cost about ten times more than the SE you played. I have one. It's great.

Last edited:
Sorry, man - you're way off on this one. Maybe you found a bad example, maybe something happened to it, but the SE Lifeson is nowhere near as bad as you're making it out.

I've got one - there's nothing wrong with the feel. Yeah, the finish is a little thicker than the PS acoustics, but that's to be expected at the price point. It's a thin acoustic, so it's not going to have the low-end of a thicker, fuller-bodied instrument.

To claim that the SE line is a huge step down from the US-made PS line - well, you are talking about a price point about one-tenth of what the PS cost. But I can tell you this - I sat in a room and listened to Ricky Skaggs play a PS version and an SE back-to-back. A difference? Absolutely. But the SE compared pretty favorably. Skaggs said there's definitely a difference - but not a 10x difference. And I'm pretty sure Skaggs knows a thing or two about guitars.

If you're that convinced that those $150 guitars are that much better, you might want to run down and grab them before the rest of the world catches on to the secret that only you seem to know about.

Sorry, man - you're way off on this one. Maybe you found a bad example, maybe something happened to it, but the SE Lifeson is nowhere near as bad as you're making it out.

I've got one - there's nothing wrong with the feel. Yeah, the finish is a little thicker than the PS acoustics, but that's to be expected at the price point. It's a thin acoustic, so it's not going to have the low-end of a thicker, fuller-bodied instrument.

To claim that the SE line is a huge step down from the US-made PS line - well, you are talking about a price point about one-tenth of what the PS cost. But I can tell you this - I sat in a room and listened to Ricky Skaggs play a PS version and an SE back-to-back. A difference? Absolutely. But the SE compared pretty favorably. Skaggs said there's definitely a difference - but not a 10x difference. And I'm pretty sure Skaggs knows a thing or two about guitars.

If you're that convinced that those $150 guitars are that much better, you might want to run down and grab them before the rest of the world catches on to the secret that only you seem to know about.
Ditto, ditto ditto ditto.....

I too have to agree.
My SE Angelus is a very nice easy to play acoustic.
The build, quality of finish, and sound are top notch.

Last edited:
Tremonti also never played an SE Tremonti....there's no video record of him even touching an SE Tremonti

I think he might have accidentally touched this one when he signed it...

IMG_3388-749780.JPG

My SE Angelis A10E is beautiful and sounds great. It is warmer sounding than my Tacoma D9 (ore-Fender's acquisition), and that is totally to be expected since it is all mahogany. But it is nothing like muddy sounding; the cleans are very well defined. Keep in mind that my Tacoma was built in 2003 and the $xxx I paid for it would be a bit higher at today's prices. I can't speak to the PS acoustics, but I think Les covered that quite well.

I think you are off base on your assessments here. Sorry, dude, but we respectfully disagree strongly here.

D00271-front-large_zpsyuticddj.jpg

Back