Possibly a PRS FRFR amp?

gilbertpsk

So I'm looking for a move from from analog to digital about. We can have an argument all day long because that's good and bad, but for me and my set up, I need to have the flexibility for both. Anyway, any thoughts on if PRS will release their own FRFR? Seems like everyone's in on it, with fender even releasing a 10 inch and a 12 inch FRFR.

Fender did it because they released a high-end modeler, after long-experience with low-end modeling combos. Fender has the size and scale to do that sort of thing.

PRS couldn’t keep their own amp business afloat, either of the two times they tried it. Now it’s just remnants and overseas contract models. Will the import line grow or whither once Doug Sewell retires? Whither would be my guess.

To enter a saturated market, you either need a superior product or the size/scale to accept losses while carving out market-share. PRS is unlikely to be able to do either, so they’re unlikely to enter that market.

To enter a saturated market, you need a good product with a draw. That draw for this industry is celebrity. Look at teh MT-15 or the Silver Sky.

How saturated is the Strat market? Could it be any more saturated? The Silver Sky is wildly successful. They can't all be as wonderful as mine (I didn't even like the first one I played, but then I got really lucky on another), so it's down to The Mayer Factor.

If PRS had been secretly developing a modeler with Time Henson, that would be a smash hit. But I think that's as likely as them coming out with a headless model.

What is the advantage of a FRFR cabinet over a PA (standard mixer/amp/speaker or powered speakers/monitors)? I always thought it made more sense to buy PA gear as it would be more versatile.

I doubt they will do it. The only use case I could see that makes any sense is to use with a PRS piezo equipped guitar. If they did that they could tailor it for that use. However, I can't see them selling enough of them to make it worth while. The number of piezo equipped PRS being gigged is not a big number, even though I have done it a fair amount.

There are many good options already out there.

Yes, just get an RCF and put a PRS sticker on it!
IK run QSC cabinets for my PA. They also work great for running a modeler into. The old version of the K8 actually sounds pretty freaking good this way. I have a newer set of K8s too that I use for monitors. Plenty of power. If I wanted more, I grab the K12.

If I didn't have these, I would look at the Friedman cabinet.

IK run QSC cabinets for my PA. They also work great for running a modeler into. The old version of the K8 actually sounds pretty freaking good this way. I have a newer set of K8s too that I use for monitors. Plenty of power. If I wanted more, I grab the K12.

If I didn't have these, I would look at the Friedman cabinet.
I have a lot of time with both of those. My brother has K8s and K12s for his group. They are good and very popular. The RCF stuff is just a step up from that.

Personally, I’ve always been torn about running a modeler into an FRFR. I mean, I’ve done it for years, but I’ve always been convinced that one of the things that makes them sound less like a guitar amp is running a significant amount of the guitar frequencies through the tweeter of an FRFR, vs. a 12” guitar speaker.

I have a lot of time with both of those. My brother has K8s and K12s for his group. They are good and very popular. The RCF stuff is just a step up from that.

Personally, I’ve always been torn about running a modeler into an FRFR. I mean, I’ve done it for years, but I’ve always been convinced that one of the things that makes them sound less like a guitar amp is running a significant amount of the guitar frequencies through the tweeter of an FRFR, vs. a 12” guitar speaker.
If I hadn't already had the QSC speakers when I learned about the RCF speakers, I would have bought them. I like them. QSC is really popular in my area.

I agree on the FRFR. One thing I did that helped a bit is I started looking up the frequency response on the speakers in my real cabinets on the manufacturers web site and setting high and low cuts to narrow down what is going into the FRFR. It helped a lot.

I use two EV powered floor monitors - ZLX12Ps. I have been VERY happy for years.

What is the advantage of a FRFR cabinet over a PA (standard mixer/amp/speaker or powered speakers/monitors)? I always thought it made more sense to buy PA gear as it would be more versatile.

I totally agree. I remember the mental torture I went through looking for a "good" powered cabinet to use with my Helix. There weren't many choices in 2015. I liked the Mission Engineering FRFR, but it was something near $1000 for the 1x12. I was gigging then, so I went for a PA wedge. I still use them as the powered speakers for my TV.

Great thread! My main goal here is for band practice. We don't mic up - the other guitarist uses a tube amp, bassist on a giant amp and the drummer makes us shake. I ended up buying Two Notes Opus, running that into an orange pedal baby, and then using that to power a 1x12 cabinet. For the cost, it was a very flexible solution, and sounds great!

Because the frfr needs a cabinet simulator, it sounded a bit underpowered (almost too polished, if that makes sense) compared to the tubes that were coming from the other guy. But with this set up, I turned off the cab simulator and am getting some serious tones.

For practice, I used my Helix into one EV ZLX. It provided me with a CLEAN 1000 watts. I had power to spare. My bass player at the time used the Ampeg SVT with that ridiculous 8x10 cab. Drums and vocals were mic'd. Bass and I were ust live in the room. I NEVER had a problem hanging with the Ampeg and PA.

Live, I gave the soundman a DI from a Whirlwind DI box, and gave myself enough volume to hear, but was not concerned with my stage volume because of the Sidefills, wedges, and the slap-back from the back of the venue.

Back