Positive 9V connector broke off

Scott Kaplan

5ZIgIr7
zoJivRu

I don't know how common this is, on this 1987 PRS Bass IV the positive connector for the 9V battery has broken off How to fix this?

You could wire in a regular 9v battery connector and still put the battery into the metal gripper as a temporary solution.

Honestly though give the PTC a contact they may have the part, but that's a pretty old rig you have there.

Post a pic of your guitar? Please :)

vmP1ZsW

You could wire in a regular 9v battery connector and still put the battery into the metal gripper as a temporary solution.

Honestly though give the PTC a contact they may have the part, but that's a pretty old rig you have there.

Post a pic of your guitar? Please :)

I can see the manufacturer of the part ACME located in New Jersey I'm trying to post pics but it only accepts a url When I add the url's all I see is

vmP1ZsW

I can see the manufacturer of the part ACME located in New Jersey I'm trying to post pics but it only accepts a url When I add the url's all I see is

You posted the link to the imgur page. You need to post the link to the actual file (right-click and copy image address or open in new tab and copy that URL when it's open).

Because that's board mounted, I think that's going to be a bit difficult to replace. I think @aphantomvaper is on the right track with patching in a standard plug and using the clip, but that's going to depend on whether you can desolder the existing clip.

5ZIgIr7.jpeg

zoJivRu.jpeg

Looking at the part, which seems to be riveted to the board, there are two approaches I can think of:

1) Get the original part and pull the board out of the cavity, drill out the rivets and reinstall

2) Obtain a regular wired 9V connector dremel off the old 9V connector and solder in the new one and continue using the clip.

I don't think it's riveted on I think it's sitting on a cushion of two way tape

In that case I might try option 1 as long as you can easily get it loose from the tape. I like to keep things as close to original as possible.

I agree that the easiest way to fix this is to solder in a 9 volt battery clip with 6 inch leads that way it would be easier to remove and replace the battery and then just use the original battery holder to keep it in place. The other option if you want to keep it as original as possible is to replace the old holder with a new one. I can’t tell from the pictures but if it’s soldered to the PC board and held in place with two sided tape then this one from Newark should work for you, it’s a good company I’ve ordered from before. Let us know what happens. Good luck.
https://www.newark.com/keystone/1291/battery-holder-9v-pcb/dp/60K7082

I agree that the easiest way to fix this is to solder in a 9 volt battery clip with 6 inch leads that way it would be easier to remove and replace the battery and then just use the original battery holder to keep it in place. The other option if you want to keep it as original as possible is to replace the old holder with a new one. I can’t tell from the pictures but if it’s soldered to the PC board and held in place with two sided tape then this one from Newark should work for you, it’s a good company I’ve ordered from before. Let us know what happens. Good luck.
What a great site! Real interesting parts and gadgets.
Plus, it’s VASTLY nicer than the Newark I know.:)

Back