Please, Sir, May I Have Some More?

László

Too Many Notes
I love my single channel PRS amps. But...are two enough?
130233ed3ea90c04e47967b7897e4387.jpg

Les, buddy, you just slapped me into reality last week about the point of having multiple amps. Get at it, order something! One channel, two channel, three channel more. It matters not! Just do it! Besides, you know you want to!

We already know it takes four to make a fort. You want a fort, don't you?

Well, the Lone Star made three.

But I still need a proper fort. And as we both know, a proper fort means four PRS amps.

I'm still not sure under what auspices the Mesa appeared in my studio, but I suspect that it had something to do with my head not being right at the time of my heart surgery.

Someday...

Is there a standard diagram to follow to build the fort? Can I mix combo, heads and cabs? What's the minimum height to be considered a fort?

Is there a standard diagram to follow to build the fort? Can I mix combo, heads and cabs? What's the minimum height to be considered a fort?

I think it might vary. I tend to go with the "a fort is to be protected on all sides by amps" concept. But I only have my very paltry Western Wall completed (otherwise known as The Wailin' Wall ;)).

But then Mike Campbell's fort looks more like a pile to me than a fort...I mean, spread it out a little bit, huh?

CampbellAmps_WEB.jpg

So what's that all about?

Of course, there are forts, and then, there are Forts....I'd hate to get this guy's electric bill...
voxs.jpg

imgext.php

Give me a dozen "holy molys" and an OMG or two on that last one...if there's a deity, I'm pretty sure it doesn't have this many amps.

Last edited:
"Come look at this guy's amp collection, dear. Have you ever seen so many amplifiers in one place?"

"The answer is no."

"But I need a fort."

"The answer is no."

"Seriously, though, come look at this picture, I'm not as crazy as this guy."

"The answer is still no."

"I only have three."

"The answer is no, you have your daughter's wedding coming up."

"But..."

"No. I will kill you in your sleep."

"That's why I need a fort."

"No."

"Bu.."

"B'no."

In the Vox video I just posed elsewhere, there's a scene with Brian May with one wall of a Vox fort -- it was glorious.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.... Les NEEDS an MDT. You may feel that your HX/DA has it covered, but I'm here to tell you that an MDT head is just what the doctor ordered....

DSC_0100_zps1d35afef.jpg

You mean, DG 50, right?
I've said it before, and I'll say it again.... Les NEEDS an MDT. You may feel that your HX/DA has it covered, but I'm here to tell you that an MDT head is just what the doctor ordered....

TsBgHzG.jpg
I don't know if Les needs an MDT, but I didn't know I needed my MDT until I had my MDT, but...whatever way, I'm glad I found out. I definitely understand what Les is on about when he goes gushing about single channel goodness.

DSC_0100_zps1d35afef.jpg

I'm under the impression that PRS doesn't make them any more, and in my world a factory warranty is a must. Nor do I want an amp that's been on a dealer's floor for years. So...no.

But I might just order m'self a DG50...very much my style of amp.

DG 30.

More into Vox. Would like to check out his take on that sort of sound.

I have one. It's great, and I've posted clips of mine several times. It doesn't sound like a Vox. It sounds closer to Tweed. Maybe there's a tiny, a very tiny, bit of Vox in there, but the preamp is nothing like a Vox IMHO. Even the EL84s aren't the thin bottle standard versions, they're the Russian Military EL84 M, with thicker glass, and a different vibe altogether.

Here's my favorite clip of the DG30. If you hear Vox in there, I'll be very surprised.

https://soundcloud.com/lschefman/hammer-dg-mstr-2

"No. I will kill you in your sleep."
I've been successfully dodging this threat for over 30 years. That success is hinged upon my ability to, a.) keep my gear where it has been approved by management, and, b.) no noticeable accumulation of crap (as defined by management) occurs, regardless of price, as dictated by management. The only tolerated deviations have come from my boys rotating some of their gear in and out of the house, hence allowing thtose rules to be bent as necessary. So, when I feel the need, I buy "my boys" a new amp/guitar/pedal/DMX light controller/digital audio interface. (I pray to the guitar-gods that she doesn't have an account here)

:D

Last edited:
Back