liverjones

So my first ever forum registration...mostly just to encourage those who hate on the 85/15's. Well, I hated them too. I just couldn't fall in love and then I read an article that said leave your volume and tone knobs cranked up all the way and that changed the game for me. Love them now. So my question is does anyone have covers on theirs? I have the 35th anniversary Custom 24 se and would love to throw on some covers but don't want to get them all muddied up either.

Glad you like 'em! They do seem to be pretty polarizing pickups, I'd say (no pun intended!). I personally don't like them, but you know what they say about opinions. Now the original 58/15 pickups, on the other hand... yowza!

I don't believe 85/15 pickups can even accommodate a cover--they have the "squabbin" (square bobbin) bobbin design and I've not seen anybody ever fit a traditional-style metal pickup cover over them. Someday, somebody will eventually come up with something, though...

I have 85/15's, and ruined a cover trying to put them on. It was very close but just too tight, and I didn't want to modify the plastic on the pick ups to make them fit. I'll just buy new pick ups with chrome covers when money isn't as tight!

I have 85/15's, and ruined a cover trying to put them on. It was very close but just too tight, and I didn't want to modify the plastic on the pick ups to make them fit. I'll just buy new pick ups with chrome covers when money isn't as tight!
There are two standard sizes for covers. Gibson and "trembacker." There may be more differences from maker to maker, but I am not sure. Maybe that's why?

If I had inside dimensions of the covers, I could measure my pups with a caliper to find a fit. Too frustrated right now, so I'm leaving it alone and just playing. I'll try it again, just need some time!

Back