Pickup recommendations for EG and MM Baritone

mezzio

The Force is weak in ^^
I want to replace the pickups in my EG with something a little more versatile... and hum-canceling, lol. I've been looking at 2 sets from Seymour Duncan, the "Everything Axe" set with the JB Jr, Duckbucker and Little '59, and a Rails set with a Hot Rails for the bridge, Vintage Rails for the middle, and Cool Rails for the neck. I've watched and read several videos and threads on these sets, and I'm kinda torn between them, but I'm leaning more toward the Rails.

I'm wondering if anyone has any other recommendations that I could look at. I'm not necessarily looking to emulate a Strat, I just want better tone, and versatility, where I could switch from Blues to Metal without changing guitars if I want... Or maybe even come up with some awkward tones if I got creative with wiring it up.

On to the Mushok... I'm really just at a loss, I don't really know where to start looking, so maybe some of you Mushok owners could give me some ideas on some pickups that could clean up the tone a bit. I guess I'm looking for something that'll give me a nice dark, fat tone while still having good clarity so cords don't sound like a soup sandwich.

Can't speak to the EG except I remember really liking the tone of a friend's strat like 20 years ago, he had a Duncan cool rails in the bridge.

The MM, I have had many pickups in mine over the years, specifically bridge pickups. I put an older Fralin humbucker that measures around 7.7K in the neck and have left it there. It's everything I ever wanted out of a neck pickup and then some. Really excellent.

Bridge pickups I have tried

PRS Grissom - too vintagey and midrangey for this instrument (my fave in other guitars)
Duncan Custom 5 - probably the best tone overall but also least sustain before feedback. I don't know how that's possible really. I have always wanted to try this one again.
PRS HFS - very aggressive metal tone. It would have been fantastic if I played that kind of music.
PRS HFS with unoriented Alnico 5 magnet - less aggressive, this one stayed in here a while, but ultimately it was just a bit too aggressive still.
B&G stock pickup with unoriented alnico 5 and split wire added - just too bright and a little weak in the low end.
Suhr SSV+ really good overall, I've had this pickup in the guitar probably 2 years now. Just a bit too hot maybe, but gives me a good downtuned rock tone instead of metal. I want to try an Alnico 2 magnet in this pickup but the cover on the pickup makes it more time consuming and difficult.

On to the Mushok... I'm really just at a loss, I don't really know where to start looking, so maybe some of you Mushok owners could give me some ideas on some pickups that could clean up the tone a bit. I guess I'm looking for something that'll give me a nice dark, fat tone while still having good clarity so cords don't sound like a soup sandwich.

As for me, I changed out the stock pups in my MM and installed a pair of Railhammer Gnarly 90's. They look great and sound great.

revandsit_zpsa16f3d18.jpg
</a>"]http://[/URL][/img]

Back