Exploring PRS guitars for next guitar, looking for advice...

I think you probably will feel most home on a Studio. You can approach it a bit like a Super Strat. With the narrowfield pickups in neck and middle and 85/15 LT in the bridge you have a HSS-configuration.

Another nod towards the Studio. It excels at funk too, in the #2 position, with the bridge hb split to single coil. The 2 narrowfields get fatter when dimed, a bit cleaner backed off a titch. It is a super expressive guitar.
Also, consider what PRS neck carve works for you. For me, it's the current Pattern, or Wide Fat of days gone by.

I stand corrected.

Apparently they're different now, they look more like the Paul's Guitar pickups I have in this one. They're great pickups, different from the 85/15s I have in the CU24. Plenty hot for me, maybe or maybe not for someone else. But voiced differently as they’re based on the 408 pickup that senses a narrower part of the string, closer to a single coil in detail, but much fatter.

ptKq9zh.jpg

Can they rock out? Sure. But differently.

If you go to 1:57 in this track, you'll hear these pickups on a short solo through a PRS HXDA amp, with no dirt pedals. I don't have the guitar turned all the way up, it's set to about "8" on the guitar volume knob, bridge pickup:

I used this guitar for both rhythm and solo, and both with same amp, same settings. I don't know if this helps or only makes things more confusing.

I also used it on this Mustang Mach E ad, played much cleaner; unfortunately for purposes of this discussion, the client wanted to hear more bass, more bass, and still more bass (!), and had me pull the guitar way, way back in the mix and cut most of the guitar parts, but it gives you an idea of the clarity possible with these pickups. Scroll down to the 4th video on the page:

I wish I had more demos of the guitar posted, I simply don't.
Have you ever considered how amazing this would look as a goldtop?

the client wanted to hear more bass, more bass, and still more bass (!)
Probably more cowbell too!

Great tones from the CU24/HXDA combo.

And agree that narrowfields/mini-hums can get plenty hot. The minis on my LP Dlx are the loudest pups I have.

Probably more cowbell too!
It's interesting, I worked out these terrific guitar parts, if I say so myself - they did let me keep one or two but pushed them way back in the mix - and the clients said they loved the bass so much they wanted most of the guitar out of the way. I guess it makes a statement that way, but still...you just never know what the clients are going to glom onto.

On the other hand, I had a good budget and I'm kind of silly to complain, since I got to play the bass part, too. 😄
Great tones from the CU24/HXDA combo.

And agree that narrowfields/mini-hums can get plenty hot. The minis on my LP Dlx are the loudest pups I have.
Yup, the narrowfields are great pickups, certainly the coolest middle pickups I've ever used.

UPDATE: I bought a 2024 S2 Custom 24!
rOEwFME.jpeg

Probably tried two dozen guitars over the past couple weeks, including Core Custom 24s and 24-08s, CE 24s, Modern Eagle, and other models. While I was originally looking for inclusion of some single coil only tonal options, after exploring more decided my first PRS didn't need to have all possible tonal options in it - door is open to other flavors down the line. I was also not especially moved by the coil-tap sounds in the 24-08 or CE24, not that they were bad in any way, but after trying a bunch of them, didn't feel they were "must have" - got some really nice and very usable clean sounds with the Custom 24.

This S2 Custom 24 was singing, and to my fingers and ears was preferred over the Core models I tried. Really diggin' the US made 85/15 pickups. The Core 24s are beautiful instruments, and have some finer details, but in the end it was an S2 that called to me. Thanks for the feedback, it helped.

NICE! I was going to throw out the S2 Studio as a superstrat like option. Used market only, cool splitable bridge humbucker and D-type single coils in center and neck. That said, I think you found a beauty! I like the S2 body style, maybe (probably) better than the violin carve core body. Now that they have the USA pickups and electronics, they seem to be one hell of a guitar. Nice Score!

UPDATE: I bought a 2024 S2 Custom 24!
rOEwFME.jpeg

Probably tried two dozen guitars over the past couple weeks, including Core Custom 24s and 24-08s, CE 24s, Modern Eagle, and other models. While I was originally looking for inclusion of some single coil only tonal options, after exploring more decided my first PRS didn't need to have all possible tonal options in it - door is open to other flavors down the line. I was also not especially moved by the coil-tap sounds in the 24-08 or CE24, not that they were bad in any way, but after trying a bunch of them, didn't feel they were "must have" - got some really nice and very usable clean sounds with the Custom 24.

This S2 Custom 24 was singing, and to my fingers and ears was preferred over the Core models I tried. Really diggin' the US made 85/15 pickups. The Core 24s are beautiful instruments, and have some finer details, but in the end it was an S2 that called to me. Thanks for the feedback, it helped.
Nice! Congrats on a great guitar.

Thank you for all the responses! This has been super helpful and got me looking at some other options and thinking a bit differently about what I'm looking for. I was thinking more along the lines of getting all the tones I want in one guitar, but that might not be necessary... and that opens up up getting more guitars. From the posts I see, I should plan on getting 3 or 4 more PRS after this one! :)

One thing I still have some doubts about are the TCI pickups vs 85/15. Looks like TCI are standard in the Custom 24-08 (but not in the Custom 24)... seems that is partly due to the quality of their splitting. It does seem there were older custom 24-08s that had 85/15. I don't think it's inaccurate feeling like the 85/15 is gonna bring more rock power than the TCI, but please correct me if I'm missing the mark there.

I think I'm set on a model with the 25" scale, slightly different than a strat, but it just feels right and not totally unfamiliar.

I'm so used to having single coils in middle/neck pos, I'm not sure I can do without some similar options in a guitar... but maybe I can. I don't need the guitar to be a strat, is part of what I have concluded from this thread. But I do need some deep and funky clean sounds available... I need to get some more time behind the wheel of PRS models. I have not spent enough time with them to figure out "go to" configurations for clean sounds.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and pictures of some beautiful guitars in here!
Have you listened to or played the 24-08s? Since you get a dedicated split switch for each humbucker, there are eight total sound profiles. They put that wiring into the PRS 35th anniversary models, and I liked the choices so much I had to rewire an old Ibanez I have to get that combo of sounds. Check out the PRS demo videos to compare.

Back