Pickup idiot here, wiring codes requested!

RevDrucifer

Hi everyone! I recently bought a beautiful SE Semi-Hollow and I’m in LOVE with it. I wanted to take the coil splitting a little further and bought a Mad Hatter 4/25 kit (solderless with a push/push for coil tapping). After spending 3 days looking at numerous wiring diagrams and color codes, it seems mine is a bit different. It has the 81/15s pickups, but the wires are different colors for each pickup.

In the pick below, the green band is wrapped around the neck pickup and the red band is wrapped around the bridge pickup.

drCQTaX.jpeg

Here is the Mad Hatter wiring diagram-

IxbMbpS.png

So what’s occurring when I wire it up as seen in the diagram above, I’m getting BARELY any output at all when in full humbucker mode. I actually have a push/push, not a push/pull, but when the push is activated, the coils split as they’re supposed to. When I say I’m getting barely any output in humbuckers mode, I mean I have to crank my amp and even something fully distorted with modern high gain sounds clean.

I’ve looked at so many wiring diagrams and color codes, but haven’t seen one gut shot that shows the same wiring/colors I have.

Any help is appreciated! I’m an idiot when it comes to pickups and these Mad Hatter systems are GREAT. I’ve installed them on a couple guitars now with zero issues, but this has taken me days to resolve with no luck yet. I also reached out to Mad Hatter and am awaiting a reply on them, just figured I’d cover all the bases!

And since we all love PRS’s, here’s a front shot of mine. I actually went into GC to buy a Taylor that day but when walking by the wall of guitars, this one caught my eye because of the top on it. I couldn’t believe it was an SE. When I took it down to play, I doublechecked the headstock AGAIN because it played so damn perfectly I couldn’t believe it was under a grand. I wasn’t even considering a semi-hollow guitar, but all I needed was 5 minutes with this and I completely forgot about the $1800 Taylor I was there to buy.

t3DUy70.jpeg

Any insight is GREATLY appreciated!!!

Have a wonderful day, all!

Can't help with your wiring, but I wanted to say, WOW that's a great looking SE !!!

Yeah, I was really blown away with that top. Just seeing that made me do my first double take, but when I started playing it and felt how great it played, I did my second….so technically a tripletake! Easily the most versatile guitar I own, too. While I’m primarily a metal head, I play in a funk/rock/R&B cover band and I can cover all the ground needed with just this guitar. The additional switching options is just me seeing how far I could possibly take it.

I looked around on the auction sites after bringing this home and didn’t see very many tops that were on par with this, so I definitely feel a bit lucky with this one!

Back