Pickup alternatives for SE Mark Tremonti Standard

Victorius

Hey Folks,

Last May I bought a(n) SE Mark Tremonti Standard as my first decent guitar. This model features Tremonti "S" pickups - whatever it means (both the bridge and neck). I am thinking of an upgrade for at least the bridge pick-up. I mostly play heavy metal and rock music, but almost always avoid playing only the neck pickup for its sound.

I am looking for something more biting, chunky, "I drop my jaws" sound.

I am not familiar with PRS pickup line-up, but I assume renowned manufacturers like Dimarzio, Seymour Duncan may have something on the shelf I am looking for.

Can you please recommend some upgrade options accordingly?

Thanks

I'm not a metal player but ceramic magnet pickups seem to get that chunky, uber masculine sound metal players go for.

A Duncan Distortion might get you there. It's basically a Duncan JB with a ceramic magnet.

The Duncan Custom is another one I like. It's ceramic, a little lower in DCR than the Distortion, but still hotter and chunkier than an alnico PAF.

The Dimarzio Transition is another ceramic magnet pickup that's been getting rave reviews.

Hey Folks,

Last May I bought a(n) SE Mark Tremonti Standard as my first decent guitar. This model features Tremonti "S" pickups - whatever it means
PRS designs pickups for it's various models, that are made in the USA. The S versions are just manufactured overseas and installed in the SE versions of the guitars. They are spec'd similarly (if not identical) to the USA versions, so should sound similar to their respective counterparts.

To me the Temonti S sounds nothing like the core, and I'd get a set of core Tremonti pickups to lessen that gap. The core Tremonti pickups are excellent and pretty versatile. Definitely would get you where you want to go. The bridge is a beast.

The PRS \m/ pickups would be another solid choice. My DW tomahawks are amazing as well. Then I'd look at Wolfetone, excellent winder, super nice guy, service, and product. Email Wolfe and he'll get you there. And then there's always the old standby SD. I've always been a fan of the JB bridge and 59 or jazz neck.

Last edited:
You can go any direction you want with pickups these days which is both awesome and overwhelming. Over the years of pickup swaps for both my own and other instruments I've noticed the following:
DiMarzio pups sounds like DMZ. Subtle EQ and output differences, but I can usually tell a DMZ when I'm plugged in.
SD the same.
Bare Knuckle Pickups seem to be very different from model to model.
Your own playing style and your amp will have a lot to do with a successful upgrade.
Both DMZ and SD offer an exchange, so if it's not perfect they will usually let you swap. They will usually dig in deep and ask a lot of questions and make a suggestion.
With that said, A Duncan Custom or a DMZ Fortitude would be great places to start.

Just out of curiosity, I looked the custom Tremonti treble pup up and it is more expensive than a Seymour Duncan SH4 which is said to be one of the best available pickups for rock and metal.

Is it possible that the PRS custom is actually that good?

I have had great success with all of these in single cut style guitars.

Suhr Aldrich
BKP Black Dog
BKP Rebel Yell
BKP Nail Bomb
SD Nazgul
SD Black Winter
SD Alpha & Omega Set

Just out of curiosity, I looked the custom Tremonti treble pup up and it is more expensive than a Seymour Duncan SH4 which is said to be one of the best available pickups for rock and metal.

Is it possible that the PRS custom is actually that good?

I've never played a Tremonti Custom but PRS pickups are expensive. PRS isn't really in the pickup business. They're in the guitar business.

The SH4 is the Duncan JB. It's a super popular pickup with hard rock players. Uses an alnico 5 magnet and it's about 16.6K DCR. Sounds best, IMO, with a 250K volume pot. To me, it's to sharp sounding with 500K, which is the usual pot value for humbuckers.

If you've heard Jeff Beck's original album recording of Cause We've Ended As Lovers that's the JB. But Jeff is not overdiving the bejeezus out of his amp on that one like metal players might do.

The Duncan Distortion is the same pickup but uses a ceramic magnet. Carlos Santana used one for quite a while.

The SH5 is the Duncan Custom. It is available in three configurations as the Custom (ceramic magnet), Custom Custom (alnico 2 magnet) or Custom 5 (alnico 5 magnet).

At about 14.4K it's wound hotter than an old paf but not wound as hot as the JB or Distortion.

I have a black Custom if you'd like one.

Before PRS made their own humbuckers, Paul used Seymour Duncans.

These days, PRS is making some terrific pickups. First rate and much better than what they were doing 30 years ago.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input and recommendation. Most likely, I will take a look at SD Distortion or custom as a start. I like the Suhr Aldrich too, but the PRS expert retailer in my country has contracted with SD and have a versatile bunch of pups in stock but no Suhr.

Is there anything technical against keeping the neck pup as is and replacing only the bridge?

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input and recommendation. Most likely, I will take a look at SD Distortion or custom as a start. I like the Suhr Aldrich too, but the PRS expert retailer in my country has contracted with SD and have a versatile bunch of pups in stock but no Suhr.

Is there anything technical against keeping the neck pup as is and replacing only the bridge?
Phase but get a 4 wire pickup and you'll be good.

I don't know what it means, but Seymour Duncan SH-6b Duncan Distortion is a 4 wire pickup according to specs. :)
A 4 conductor cable allows you to easily try some custom wiring options.

You can connect it to a switch that allows you to split the coils or connect them in parallel for single coil tones. Parallel is nice because it sounds like a single coil but the pickup is still humbucking.

If you don't want that, just connect the red and white wires together and you'll have normal series wiring.

Use the remaining black and green wires to connect it like a normal humbucker.

Sounds more complicated than it is. If you buy it new instructions will be included.

Last edited:
I finally decided to go for the Seymour Duncan SH-6 distortion.

Next Monday I will take the guitar to the shop (the owner is a luthier as well), he'll install the pickup for free.

Can't wait to experience a (more) quality pickup in my PRS.

Thank you for your useful pieces of advices.

I finally decided to go for the Seymour Duncan SH-6 distortion.

Next Monday I will take the guitar to the shop (the owner is a luthier as well), he'll install the pickup for free.

Can't wait to experience a (more) quality pickup in my PRS.

Thank you for your useful pieces of advices.
Hopefully it works out sonically to your liking.

Back