Pick Up suggestions for McCarty 58

srmd22

I actually like the pickups that are in here- 57/08's - but I want to try something else for awhile, just for fun. I am looking for something that is basically fatter and warmer - to me the 57/08's in this guitar are bright and very focused. That is a good thing, I just want a different kind of good thing. I am going for something slightly more toward an SG kind of sound, but not quite and mid-range honky.

Has anyone played around with after market pick ups in there McCarty? I don't want super spendy boutique things, as I will inevitable swap back at some point - thinking in the seymour duncan, dimarzio price range. Not Throwbacks, etc. I have a pair of Wolftones that I used in another PRS, but they are still pretty bright and low output - no looking for a vintage low output type of sound; more something fat, warm, a bit higher output.

Thanks!

I have never played around with the pickups in a McCarty ( and mine has the 58/15s so they are staying put forever) but I really like SD Seth Lovers. They are probably not higher output than the 57/08, but they have a nice low end, and the two guitars I have them in are both hog-bodied, hog-necked (non-PRS) stoptails. I have seen them go for well below $100 apiece. They are unpotted which may or may not be an issue for you. YMMV

I had tried 5909s in my McCarty and REALLY liked that. I started tuning it to D for our lower stuff and the 5909s didn't seem to have enough output for that. It currently has Ms.

I replaced the 57/08's in my SC-58 with a set of Duncan Whole Lotta Humbuckers and it was a great swap. The Duncan set has a little more girth.

I'd like to see what my McRosie would sound like with Bare Knuckle's Nailbomb or Rebel Yell, meself. I've heard nothing but great stuff about these Bare Knuckles.

Didn't our member CRGTR (Chris) do a whole bunch of videos swapping pickups in and out of a McCarty a year or two ago? Or maybe it was a DGT, but similar enough...

There were an awful lot of pickups he demoed, and some of them sounded really great.

Personally, I like PRS pickups, they're voiced to go well with PRS guitars, but I completely understand the fun of swapping 'em out just for grins to see what might happen.

Back