Pick guard for NF3

Valker

Hey folks. For years now I have been looking at used NF3s, waiting and biding getting my hands on one. I found I missed the boat on a number of models that I really enjoyed from that time period, Starlas, Studios, DC3, all of which have managed to make their way into my collection over the years. Except for the NF3.

What kept me from getting one was that I had already acquired a 2011 PRS Studio with the NFs, and I really enjoy what those pick-ups bring to the table. I've gravitated toward richer/fatter sounding pick-ups than standard strat single coils bring. I acquired a DC3 right before the pandemic and have enjoyed that quite a bit. But I couldn't put the NF3 out of my mind. I figure I'll compare it to my Studio and see what each brings to the table (I was never able to find a comparison online or in forums discussing the sonic differences between the two models outside of the specs).

But what this post is really about is finding a replacement pick guard. The guitar I picked up is in good shape, a few nicks here and there, but with a much loved pick guard that has done it's job over the years. The guitar is in vintage burst, and I could get a replacement black pick guard, but I may venture out with a wooden one or something else. Does anyone have a reliable source for either black plastic or wooden pick guards for an NF3? Does anyone have a template for one?

I checked with the Mike Quick, and he told me he did not have the template for NF3s and didn't seem inclined to try it. He has the DC3 template, which I believe is the same minus the pick-up holes. Hoping to find a good suggestion. I know there are a couple of threads on here (older), but I wasn't able to bear fruit through those discussions (companies that no longer exist or have templates).

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Hey folks. For years now I have been looking at used NF3s, waiting and biding getting my hands on one. I found I missed the boat on a number of models that I really enjoyed from that time period, Starlas, Studios, DC3, all of which have managed to make their way into my collection over the years. Except for the NF3.

What kept me from getting one was that I had already acquired a 2011 PRS Studio with the NFs, and I really enjoy what those pick-ups bring to the table. I've gravitated toward richer/fatter sounding pick-ups than standard strat single coils bring. I acquired a DC3 right before the pandemic and have enjoyed that quite a bit. But I couldn't put the NF3 out of my mind. I figure I'll compare it to my Studio and see what each brings to the table (I was never able to find a comparison online or in forums discussing the sonic differences between the two models outside of the specs).

But what this post is really about is finding a replacement pick guard. The guitar I picked up is in good shape, a few nicks here and there, but with a much loved pick guard that has done it's job over the years. The guitar is in vintage burst, and I could get a replacement black pick guard, but I may venture out with a wooden one or something else. Does anyone have a reliable source for either black plastic or wooden pick guards for an NF3? Does anyone have a template for one?

I checked with the Mike Quick, and he told me he did not have the template for NF3s and didn't seem inclined to try it. He has the DC3 template, which I believe is the same minus the pick-up holes. Hoping to find a good suggestion. I know there are a couple of threads on here (older), but I wasn't able to bear fruit through those discussions (companies that no longer exist or have templates).

Thanks in advance for the replies.
This guy made a post on TGP showing a nicely made pickguard and knob setup on a NF3. Might check with him, the work looks very good. It’s been a good while back, though.

Post your journey…

This guy made a post on TGP showing a nicely made pickguard and knob setup on a NF3. Might check with him, the work looks very good. It’s been a good while back, though.

Post your journey…
I see that is was Bill Asher, and his site indicates he does do some custom pick guard work as well as offering some standard fare (strats and teles). Thanks, Rick. I will contact him to find out.

I'll have to reread how to post on the forums. It's been a while, and I don't recall ever following through. I just spent a few hours cleaning and setting up yesterday, and got a few hours of play just right now. No chance to compare, but definitely enjoyed what I was hearing.

Back