Pesky Trem Arm.

No Not Now

The tiny set screw that adjusts the tightness of the trem arm is now useless. The plastic sleeve in the bridge is not broken, it's the original set screw and the threads in the bridge and on the screw are fine. Within a couple of songs the set screw works itself almost completely out of the bridge and the arm falls out. Anyone else *****d off with this problem?

Thanks for the reply, g-n-g!
I have a bottle ready for the job ; )
I just wondered if it was a common complaint, with a ridiculously expensive cure!

Ok. Are you using the trem whilst playing?

Without seeing pictures I would guess the plastic/resin shim, that holds the trem arm in the bridge, is fractured in some way and that’s why the grub screw is coming loose.

It may not be obvious when tightening the trem arm.

No trem use needed, it'll work itself loose unaided.
The sleeve looks no different than a brand new one really, without removing it to investigate.
The guitar's eighteen years old, maybe these things just wear out.

I was going to suggest a drop of nail polish, but I wasn't aware there was non-permanent Loctite, and if you already have that, that eliminates a) asking your wife for nail polish; b) asking your girlfriend for same; c) buying nail polish yourself; d) getting a wife or girlfriend so you can avoid buying the nail polish yourself; or e) convincing your wife/girlfriend that you only have nail polish for a little screw with your guitar, and frankly, at that point, your wording is very important around the use of 'screw'.

I thought about plumber's tape for a sec, but those set screws are really small, so you'd have to have a delicate touch. Or know someone with very tiny hands.

tenor.gif

If the previous owner used the trem much, then the bushing may need to be replaced, I have 9 with trems, and no trouble. You can get the bushing from John Mann, or PRS directly.

The tiny set screw that adjusts the tightness of the trem arm is now useless. The plastic sleeve in the bridge is not broken, it's the original set screw and the threads in the bridge and on the screw are fine. Within a couple of songs the set screw works itself almost completely out of the bridge and the arm falls out. Anyone else *****d off with this problem?

That's very unusual. I've owned and played guitars with those trems for nearly thirty years and I've only ever had to tighten one up a few times.

Thanks for your suggestions, all.
Threadlock and a new bushing should sort it, I'll leave the nail polish for another time thanks;)
Cheers!

is it completely stock like in somebody putting an se arm in it or wrong set screw?

I put a Custom trem arm I received with an S2 594 (by mistake I'm sure) in a SE Standard Trem and it was very loose. Perhaps something like that is happening?

Back