1999 CU22 trem set screw and other questions…

TimD

Waldo5150
Couple of questions. I’ve a ‘99 CU22 whale blue . I am missing the stream arm set screw and wanted to know if the set screws PRS offers are the correct one for this older PRS.

Thinking about changing out the trem… is there a direct drop in trem that PRS offers ?

Also thinking about sending this in for a refinish…. Thinking about having a Santana yellow finish with natural back…. Satin finish on the neck…. Thoughts?

Thanks
-Tim

Take your guitar to a really good hardware store and buy a set screw. Also called a grub screw.

You want one that looks like the ht. adjustment screws of the individual bridge saddles.

You want one that tightens with a little allen wrench.

Couple of questions. I’ve a ‘99 CU22 whale blue . I am missing the stream arm set screw and wanted to know if the set screws PRS offers are the correct one for this older PRS.

Thinking about changing out the trem… is there a direct drop in trem that PRS offers ?

Also thinking about sending this in for a refinish…. Thinking about having a Santana yellow finish with natural back…. Satin finish on the neck…. Thoughts?

Thanks
-Tim
John Mann's Guitar Vault is your best bet for a replacement trem. He designed the original, and his NOS MannMade trems are awesome.

As for the refin, the satin neck is doable, but the Santana Yellow is not. Since it's Whale Blue now, you can't go too far away from that color spectrum. A purple would work. Reason being is that they can't get 100% of the old stain off. Anywhere that they can't, would turn an ugly color if they tried to do a yellow or orange. I actually wanted to do this on a Whale Blue Cu22 (2008) that I sent in several years ago. I wanted to do some kind of orange. Was told I couldn't, so I ended up doing Purple Hazel.

John Mann's Guitar Vault is your best bet for a replacement trem. He designed the original, and his NOS MannMade trems are awesome.

As for the refin, the satin neck is doable, but the Santana Yellow is not. Since it's Whale Blue now, you can't go too far away from that color spectrum. A purple would work. Reason being is that they can't get 100% of the old stain off. Anywhere that they can't, would turn an ugly color if they tried to do a yellow or orange. I actually wanted to do this on a Whale Blue Cu22 (2008) that I sent in several years ago. I wanted to do some kind of orange. Was told I couldn't, so I ended up doing Purple Hazel.
John could also tell the OP exactly what size set screw to get and sell him one too!

Thanks for the info. Truly appreciate it. Yeah, I’d forgotten about the need to stay within original color palette. Maybe the faded blue jean. And I’ll definitely give John Mann a call for the set screw and replacement options…

-Tim

I wish that set screw was made like the thumbscrew that locks the string in the tuner. I actually tried to see if one would fit there but it doesn't.

Back