Paul about PRS built per year!

MrSuperstar

Blues Lawyer
I was very impressed by the live of this evening on youtube, but as I'm not a native english speaker and since there are no subtitles, I have some difficulties so I would like a clarification from you, guys.

Link of the video, minute 27:25
The question that particularly interests me is "how many PRS guitars are made everyday around the world?" Jack replies "bla bla bla - in the world, outside of this building about 12,000 made per month. And about what inside this building about .. under 15 a day?"
And Paul replies "25-23 *inaudible*, I don't know under 15,000?"
But what? 15.000 per day? 15.000 per year?

15,000 a day seems too much for a single day, but very little for a whole year considering that Taylor Guitars produces 700 guitars a day and 130.000 yearly!

If that 15k is for guitars made in one year it's really impressive (in a positive way of course), they are so few compared to the competition from Fender USA and Gibson USA, this also explains how the PRS quality is so high.

So, can you help?

It was funny when Paul said "Where do they all go?"

Look, Paul, there are 300 million people in the US alone. At 2000 core guitars per month, it would take 150,000 months to make one for every person in just the US. I'm pretty sure there are a couple of people who have more than one. That's 12,500 years.

Worldwide we are talking billions of people. Just a fraction of a percent of that amount of people wanting one is still a giant number compared to the production.

It's funny how even Paul cannot really comprehend the numbers of our population.

I'm thinking that's still a low production number in comparison with F or G.

On the flip side I bought Alembic serial # 12657 brand new in 2005, and they've been making guitars since 1972. I think they are in the 29000 serial number range these days.

My point is, PRS still has low prod numbers in comparison with some. This is good I think!

My point is, PRS still has low prod numbers in comparison with with F or G. This is good I think!
Well yes, consider that in the live to which I was referring in my OP, another question was "how is it possible that the timing for having a PRS Core is 20 months?!"
And Paul replied something like "listen, we do our best but we can't go beyond a certain point, otherwise the quality will inevitably suffer".
So yes, a low production number of guitars is a good thing.

But, just to understand, does anyone know what are the production numbers of Fender USA and Gibson USA? o_O

And I think that was 115 Maryland made guitars per day. Which includes S2 and Bolt-On guitars along with Core.

Yes - an impressive number from a relatively small team with so many QC checks to pass along the way.

What also intrigued me was the info that PRS are investing in new buildings, new machinery and training in their Cort factory in Indonesia. I know the SS SE could be Popular (or is it Poplar LOL) but I also wonder if they have something else coming (based on the Fireside chat) or whether the run of recent successes are paying dividends.

There was a lot of talk about the 'Quality' dropping with moving from Korea to Indonesia but it seems that moving into their 'own' factory where the staff only make PRS SE Guitars, enabling them to 'raise' the quality and consistency (as predicted by many but still people doubted). They have made them more 'bevelled' and generally seem to be reviewing incredibly well - with many reviews citing 'value' for money, quality at this price point as reasons to buy.

So that will be interesting to see what happens.

It hasn't gone up much since a video I watched 'pre-covid' when they thought they were making about 110 guitars a day after moving to a '2 shift' day. That's great to hear because it also confirms that despite all those orders waiting, they aren't compromising on quality to push out more...

A dedicated factory allows so much more control it was a great move for them.

The SE HB series from China can't have a dedicated factory I'm sure, yet those are stunning instruments!!

Last edited:
Back