Other pickups similar to the 85/15?

Toolmaster Of Brainerd

You know what a loon is, noodle head?
I really like the 85/15 in my custom 24. The only other humbucker I own is a Seymour Duncan JB in my Yamaha Pacifica. I don't like the JB at all. Too nasally to my ears. I want to replace that pickup with something else. To your ears, what pickups out there (preferably Duncans or Dimarzios) are similar to the 85/15 pickups? Especially interested in the bridge pickup.

I have also thought about going more of a PAF route, but that's a discussion for a different forum.

For what it's worth, if I'm on the bridge pickup, I'm using distortion. I never play with a clean bridge pickup. And yes, I have tried using the tone control ;). Clean bridge pickup just isn't for me.

There's no shortage of great options out there. It's been a while since I explored DiMarzio or Duncan pickups, but I've become pretty fond of Bareknuckle Pickups. I have a set of Abraxas in an S2 Custom 22 Semi-hollow and I love them. They've got definite PAF type tone, but they're a decent bit hotter. The bridge pickup is relatively hot and very articulate and balanced. If you want a little more gutsy tone than that even, you could try the Bareknuckle Emerald or Rebel Yell.

If you want to stick with PRS pickups, you can typically find a set of 85/15 pickups on Reverb, they'll be a little pricey, but they're out there. You could also go for a Dragon II. I have a set of those in a Custom 22 and they also sound fantastic.

Back