Opinion on PRS SE Standard 24

migatora

Greetings,

I am new to the forum I want to take this opportunity to say hello and ask for your opinion before buying a Blue 2019 PRS SE Standard 24. The guitar is in very good condition and the price is right. It has the 85/15S pickups that I really like. Since I am new to the PRS models, I would like ask if there is a big tone difference compared to a SE MIRA or even the SE Custom 24? I watch a couple of videos in youtube, but cannot really judge. I count to go to meet the seller to test the guitar, but before that, wanted several opinions on the overall quality of this entry level PRS.

Your comments and advises are really appreciated.

Thanks and regards

Migatora

Boy wish I could help. I own two SE guitars, but not these. An old '06 Singlecut and a '20 Paul's Guitar. An old friend of mine used to play an '05 Standard SE, and it was more or less a precursor to the new Standards. Great guitar and an amazing value. That said, custom 24s have maple necks and tops, whereas Standards are all mahogany, and I think Miras are too. The maple would make for a more stable neck. You really won't be able to know if you love it till you play it though. Good luck on your guitar hunt!

There’s really no difference between the SE standard and SE custom 24s. I’ve owned both. I just upgraded to a fancy top custom because I got a smoking deal, and I really liked how the SE 24s play.

When I bought my standard, I was thinking about buying a custom. I asked the guy at Dave’s and he asked “Why?”

I’ve had them both, and still have the SE Custom 24. They sound remarkably similar. If you like the color and the sound, buy it. You can get another model later. 24 fretters are a great way to start. And post pictures after you buy it.

I’ve tried some current SE STD 24 and I’ve played plenty of SE Custom siblings. To me there’s no big differences between the two, but the Standard responses faster, has more articulation and a bit meatier lows. I also noticed the STD has a tad thicker neck in my hand even though the official website specified that the Standard has the same thin neck as the Custom.

While tone is a matter of personal taste, if I had to choose only one with budget in mind, I would go for SE Standard 24 to save big.

cEHrjsH.jpg

ct43f9i.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

I haven’t played the 2019 SE standard specifically but I played earlier years. There will be a slight difference in tone but which one is “better” is up to you. If it feels good and it’s the right price go for it. I’d be curious why the guy is selling it though. Sounds like one of those too-good-to-be-true scenarios. Good luck!

Another thing to keep in mind: It appears the Standard has a "PRS Designed" bridge, which is probably going to be an import bridge based on PRS's design (still a well made bridge nonetheless). The Custom has, from what I gather, a "PRS Patented", which looks like its a US made bridge. It seems to be the same found on S2's and CE's.

Another thing to keep in mind: It appears the Standard has a "PRS Designed" bridge, which is probably going to be an import bridge based on PRS's design (still a well made bridge nonetheless). The Custom has, from what I gather, a "PRS Patented", which looks like its a US made bridge. It seems to be the same found on S2's and CE's.
SE, S2, and current CE24 tremolos are made overseas, Korea.

SE, S2, and current CE24 tremolos are made overseas, Korea.
No kidding? I would have thought the S2s and CEs would use domestic hardware. Not any knock against Korean parts, just a bit surprised. Typically the only spec I see on this bridge is its labelled "PRS patented", so I figured a US patent. It's good to know since I was mulling over buying a S2 next year.

Schaller isn’t a “domestic” company, neither is Gotoh, yet they’ve been supplying parts for Core PRS almost exclusively over the years..

And, there hasn’t been any confirmation from PRS where any of the bridges have been coming from for years. I suspect they’ve found a great manufacturer somewhere outside of the US for the majority of the hardware they use these days.

No kidding? I would have thought the S2s and CEs would use domestic hardware. Not any knock against Korean parts, just a bit surprised. Typically the only spec I see on this bridge is its labelled "PRS patented", so I figured a US patent. It's good to know since I was mulling over buying a S2 next year.

For examples; S2 has pickups made by G&B from Korea, the same PU manufacturer for SE - or technically S2 come equipped with SE PUs. The S2 tuners, despite having locking mechanism, are made by Korean Han Chang - the same manufacturer for SE tuners (but without locking mechanism). Electric parts don’t look the same as my core guitars, but I can’t confirm their country of origin though.

I fully understand that the main concept of S2 is to offer more reachable US made PRS guitars, but at that price point I think there should be core PU installed as standard specs.

Don’t get me wrong, I have tried many of S2 and agreed with many people here that they sound fine, but again, in such budget the PRS rivals are offering their USA made PU. This is one of the reasons why S2 guitars aren’t popular in my country, even though the brand is increasingly popular today.

I fully understand that the main concept of S2 is to offer more reachable US made PRS guitars, but at that price point I think there should be core PU installed as standard specs.

I pretty much agree. I get the idea of the S2 as well: an American made guitar with non American hardware, to cover the $1500-$2000 range. So it's a sort of blend of an SE with a Core I guess. I'm not turned off by the hardware choices, but yeah other manufacturers come with domestic hardware in that price range. Like G&B pups are fine and I do like them alot, but they used to come standard on SE models ten years ago....on a $500 guitar.

I really like Standard 24. I really want to have one. Perhaps my next guitar will be it.

It’s really easy to change the pickups on a guitar, and many of us do, even on the core models. You cannot change the quality of the wood, the perfect neck angle, or the immaculate fretwork on an S2. The playability and fretwork on my S2’s is the same as my core. I look at the total package, and the unchangeable parts. That’s where PRS smokes most of the competition. I have several SE’s that were modified up the wazoo to get sounds I like. My S2’s and my core have basically no modifications. Prepandemic, my S2’s got gigged more than my core. I believe you should buy by sound, not by where the components are made.

Last edited:
What you have to understand, is that an S2 is the price it is because PRS refuse to compromise on Quality Control in the building and assembly of their guitars. If you want 'US' made Pups and other 'high' end parts that you get on a core at that price, then PRS would have to compromise a LOT more on the guitar and 'Base' or 'Spine' for what makes a great instrument, compromise on QC (and the time it takes) to make a guitar. A big part of the price is the 'hardware' so if you put much more expensive hardware on it, you move into CE pricing - its already getting close with the S2 McCarty models.

Where a Pick-up is wound does NOT determine whether its a 'great' pick-up or not. If the exact same materials, the same wire, magnets etc are used, it doesn't matter if its wound in US, China, Mongolia or Timbuktoo - if its wound the same, it will be the same - maybe cheaper in some places because the overheads (wages, amenities, rates etc) and price of materials will differ. I am NOT saying the 'S' pick-ups are using the exact same quality materials, the same purity of copper wire etc but are deemed 'good' enough for PRS to use in their SE and S2 models, good enough for PRS to have their name on the headstock.

PRS are extremely particular about the woods they use and the way they are dried/cured before building a guitar. The same standard applies to S2 Maple/Mahogany as it does to Private Stock - they are all dried/cured to the same standard. That gives the S2 a fantastic base, the bones that hold everything together and create a great 'base' for a musical instrument. The fretwork and playability of these are superb and I have not heard any complain about the quality of the instrument or tone of the Pick-ups. In fact, in the latest Guitarist magazine, they review the S2 35th anniversary Cu24 and all 3 S2 McCarty models and ALL received very positive reviews with high scores. Some struggle to hear much difference between an S2 McCarty 594 and a Core one despite the differences. That guitar is half the price of a core! If they swapped the Pups out for US 58/15 LT's and all the other different hardware, I bet it would push the cost over their CE/Bolt on models and then people will be saying why not just buy a Core instead...

Unless you are building guitars to the best of your ability and NOT willing to compromise anywhere, not something we see in a LOT of guitars - there is ALWAYS compromises to manufacture that guitar to hit a certain price point. Whether that's using 'veneers' to look better because prettier wood costs more, using multiple 'smaller' or thinner pieces of wood to reduce the waste and again 'cost', to get more guitars from a similar quantity of materials, to reduce overheads by making them in areas that are cheaper to run a factory and pay the wages, using parts made in areas where its cheaper (not necessarily reducing the quality - although that too can help hit lower price points), not spending as much 'time' or effort to ensure a guitar is perfectly ready to move to the next stage (quality control) or making the design 'different' to ensure it doesn't take so long to sand, using 'cheaper' materials (again not necessarily lower quality - some 'generic' Mahogany instead of Honduran Mahogany for example - some related species that's cheaper and more abundant) etc - there are MANY ways that guitars are built to fit a price point and 'compromise' is made. Again doesn't necessarily mean the instrument is 'worse' and can still be the 'best' guitar you can buy for that amount - opting to change the things that have the least impact on quality, playability etc and still upholding the brands values but at a more affordable price point.

I think its more important to get the base of the guitar right. I think its worth giving the 'S' pups a try - even if you don't like them and swap them out, it might not be 'just' because they are 'S' pick-ups but the fact you prefer a different sound, maybe a hotter pick-up voiced differently but the 'S' pick-ups are great and some may say, the best Pups on guitars in that price range...

Last edited:
It’s really easy to change the pickups on a guitar, and many of us do, even on the core models. You cannot change the quality of the wood, the perfect neck angle, or the immaculate fretwork on an S2. The playability and fretwork on my S2’s is the same as my core. I look at the total package, and the unchangeable parts. That’s where PRS smokes most of the competition. I have several SE’s that were modified up the wazoo to get sounds I like. My S2’s and my core have basically no modifications. Prepandemic, my S2’s got gigged more than my core. I believe you should buy by sound, not by where the components are made.

I've got no doubt the S2 line is really well made. Despite some of my tiny gripes with the hardware, there's probably nothing as fundamentally well built in that price range. Just out of pure wonder (and maybe some ocd) I 'm always curious about where components are made. For me, yeah it does end up being a small factor in whether I pull the trigger on a new guitar or not, but the fretwork ends up making that a moot point in the end anyway. Honestly, I'd love to go for a S2 next year. It'd be my first American PRS.

My SE’s have pretty good wood resonance, about the level of the other American guitars I used to play. I could have been happy with them for the rest of my life. Then I snagged an 03 CE 24 that had been beaten to death. The first time I played it (no amp) I thought what the bloody hell is in this thing? The resonance took me away. So I spent 3 years during divorce recovery getting it back to snuff bit by bit. I still have and play my SE’s regularly, but this Maryland boy LOVES his Maryland made. If you live with an S2 for a month or two, you should be one very happy camper.

Greetings,

I am new to the forum I want to take this opportunity to say hello and ask for your opinion before buying a Blue 2019 PRS SE Standard 24. The guitar is in very good condition and the price is right. It has the 85/15S pickups that I really like. Since I am new to the PRS models, I would like ask if there is a big tone difference compared to a SE MIRA or even the SE Custom 24? I watch a couple of videos in youtube, but cannot really judge. I count to go to meet the seller to test the guitar, but before that, wanted several opinions on the overall quality of this entry level PRS.

Your comments and advises are really appreciated.

Thanks and regards

Migatora

I played one at a local guitar shop, and I was very impressed. It really did play like butter! I found it to be quite resonant while unplugged, as well. To be honest, I think that the SE Standard guitars are a wonderful buy. If one had to purchase only one electric in their lifetime, and had a budget of less than $700 (new,) then the SE Standard 24 might be that guitar.

Back