One problem with the 408's and NF pickups

today I just got done getting the HFS/Vintage pcikup set with PRS drop in 3 way w/push pull tone installed in my boys SE singlecut. 22 fret guitar. Tried the harmonic at 5th fret. well in coil tap pretty non existant. full HB mode it`s there but no where near what it is in the bridge position.

Yup....that was my "basic understanding" but I have a lot of difficulty understanding how this is actually used during a solo. I am familiar with "pinch harmonics" but I have never really gotten a good handle on "natural harmonics" and would really appreciate a video that actually provides a demonstration of how they are used in a song.

Many of Larry Coryells tunes have fine use of natural harmonics,as well as do Chet Atkins songs.

Tried this on my NF3 this morning, yep definite volume difference on 5th fret harmonic on neck pickup vs any other (including neck/middle combo).

Also tried it on my NF equipped SE and same deal, I must have got the neck pickup location "right".

Also tried it on my CU22 Soapbar, no volume difference there.

I first noticed this issue with my 513, 5th fret harmonic fine in single coil mode but almost impossible or very low output in the humbucker modes, I emailed PRS support about it they said to send the guitar to them, not a cheap option form the UK, a few months later I met PRSh while buying an ME1 and mentioned the issue to him he simply said no you won't get the harmonic at the 5th fret nothing wrong with the guitar, so I just remember to select another pickup if I want 5th fret harmonics.

Telecasters are notorious for that. The neck pickup sits right under the harmonic node--it's one of the reasons they sound the way they do. Move the pickup off the node and you change the tone. It doesn't bother me--I just have to remember not to play 5th fret harmonics with the neck pickup when I play my Tele! (I generally don't play harmonics on the neck pickup anyway--they're tougher to get.) Anybody know whether 5th-fret neck-pickup harmonics can be played on the new Brent Mason model?

Thanks for answering my question. The answer is NO Brent Mason is missing the 5th harmonic in the neck position. I recently purchased a Brent Mason and found that to be the case. When I contacted support they told me I needed a set up and to mail the guitar back to them. The guitar is set up perfectly. So it must be the exact situation you mentioned in the tele.

I tried it on my DGT,flyingv and my strats and it was the same on all of them,could barely hear that harmonic on the neck pickup.So bridge pickup for harmonics and a Laney amp I guess.......

Back