OMG It finally Happened. A T-Style PRS Guitar (NF53)

I don’t get it. Why would they do two versions of a Tele? I get the signature model but then why do the NF-53 one? Most sig models are doomed from the start and Teles are frankly “been there and done that”. I hope it works out for Paul and co but I wouldn’t be surprised to find these in the stack with the EG’s and other NF derivatives. That said, I love a good Tele and will probably lay hands on one just to see for myself. I had a great NF-3 when they first came out. I just don’t think it makes sense from a sales standpoint.

Last edited:
It’s nice to see swamp ash and the NF pickups. It’s also nice to see a new neck carve. I like the black and white finishes that accentuate the swamp ash.

I don’t like that it’s a take on the Telecaster. There’s zero creativity in that. PRS’s deep dive into other company‘s pasts is continuing, and in my mind it cheapens the brand. I say that as someone who has both a Silver Sky and a an SC594.

PRS went from being a leading, innovative brand to being that kid down the block that works too hard to be like the other kids. The same thing is true for amps—hey look, it’s just like Jimi’s!

There will be reliving of the Silver Sky angst, while these will be sold out everywhere. It was a smart, long anticipated release. They still make innovative instruments for the PRS purist… but, like many, I’ve got a Tele and Strat on my wall too. If this betters the Tele vibe for me like the Silver Sky and 594 did, I’m in. Love the Tele sound, never liked how you had to fight a sound out of it. Some do, and this might not be for them. That’s ok, it’s a big world with lots of options.

For me, as a fan of NF pickups and PRS feel, it’s a welcome add. I’d love to try the NF53.

Yeah, this model is definitely doing it for me.

https://prsguitars.com/electrics/model/nf_53_2023

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJwcnNpbWFnZXMiLCJrZXkiOiJndWl0YXItaW1hZ2VzL25mLTUzLTIwMjMtd2hpdGUtZG9nLWhhaXIuanBnIiwiZWRpdHMiOnsianBlZyI6eyJxdWFsaXR5Ijo4MiwicHJvZ3Jlc3NpdmUiOnRydWUsInRyZWxsaXNRdWFudGlzYXRpb24iOnRydWUsIm92ZXJzaG9vdERlcmluZ2luZyI6dHJ1ZSwib3B0aW1pemVTY2FucyI6dHJ1ZX0sInJlc2l6ZSI6eyJ3aWR0aCI6MTkyMCwiaGVpZ2h0Ijo2NjMsImZpdCI6ImNvdmVyIn0sInNoYXJwZW4iOnRydWV9fQ==
I like that. Cool look!

Workmanlike...as a tele inspired guitar should be.

Wonder if they'll catch on?

The price certainly isn't working man friendly.

An SE version with those pickups would sure be nice!

Last edited:
It’s nice to see swamp ash and the NF pickups. It’s also nice to see a new neck carve. I like the black and white finishes that accentuate the swamp ash.

I don’t like that it’s a take on the Telecaster. There’s zero creativity in that. PRS’s deep dive into other company‘s pasts is continuing, and in my mind it cheapens the brand. I say that as someone who has both a Silver Sky and a an SC594.

PRS went from being a leading, innovative brand to being that kid down the block that works too hard to be like the other kids. The same thing is true for amps—hey look, it’s just like Jimi’s!
Fender is well known for not wanting to fix any of their design flaw problems so someone else has to do it.

Fender is well known for not wanting to fix any of their design flaw problems so someone else has to do it.
Well......the Fender Pro version improved a lot of things. Ashtray is not so high, and is more comfortable. The circuit allows you not to lose highs when you reduce the volume, updated neck profile, back to brass saddles for improved sustain, tilted headstock, and Tim Shaw pickups.

This new NF 53 guitar is very appealing to me with the slope on the body for your left arm, tummy tuck, a modern approach to the Tele while it twangs, the thinner ice pick sound is not there. I think Eric Clapton would love this guitar. He likes Teles but thought they were a little too thin (according to one interview). With the superb PRS craftmanship, pickups that get a fuller Tele sound, this seems to be a winner. It won't replace your favorite Tele but it can be a great option when you want a fuller sounding Tele.

Yeah, by a whopping 1/64th of an inch (0.4 mm). But that does make it ever so slightly narrower than the vintagey Fender width of 1.65". An interesting choice for sure.

That's only on the Myles Kennedy, not the NF53.
I have played 1 11/16 nut width necks almost exclusively since I stated playing many, many years ago. The DGT and Regular neck carves were an adjustment for me. Any narrower and I probably won't get along with it so to some of us, that 1/64 of an inch could feel like a lot more. I had an Ernie Ball Axis that I had to move on shortly after buying it because that neck felt like a broomstick to me. I don't remember what the nut width was but it was way too small for me.

I don’t get it. Why would they do two versions of a Tele? I get the signature model but then why do the NF-53 one? Most sig models are doomed from the start and Teles are frankly “been there and done that”. I hope it works out for Paul and co but I wouldn’t be surprised to find these in the stack with the EG’s and other NF derivatives. That said, I love a good Tele and will probably lay hands on one just to see for myself. I had a great NF-3 when they first came out. I just don’t think it makes sense from a sales standpoint.
I always kind of thought of the Vela as a sort of Tele-alike, and the semi-hollow Vela as a Thinline Tele. Maybe I've got it wrong, but people online seem to be really excited. We'll find out how well it sells once it's shipping, I guess.

Maybe the Vela explains the NF-53's price. A Vela is $1500 so the "proper" Tele has to be more.

I have played 1 11/16 nut width necks almost exclusively since I stated playing many, many years ago. The DGT and Regular neck carves were an adjustment for me. Any narrower and I probably won't get along with it so to some of us, that 1/64 of an inch could feel like a lot more. I had an Ernie Ball Axis that I had to move on shortly after buying it because that neck felt like a broomstick to me. I don't remember what the nut width was but it was way too small for me.

Yep the EBMM guitars are known for being very narrow at the nut. 1 5/8" (1.625").

The narrower nut width is the only potentially questionable choice I see so far. Seems like the tried and true width of the Regular, DGT, and Silver Sky necks would've been a safer bet. But of course, the only way to really know is to wrap my hand around one to see how it feels. The fullness of the back shape and how they space the nut slots may make up for it.

I'd rather have the locking keys of the Myles Kennedy or Fiore, though.

@frankencat …..Good point. Maybe Paul decided to make both models and see which one would fly…..Discontinue the non seller and keep the other one in the line…
What I don’t understand is announcing 2 new models with such a long backorder list although assembling a Tele is a no brainer compared to their set neck core line which is a whole different gig and time consuming process……(I’ve built many partscasters for customers using finished Warmoth necks and bodies.) Piece of cake
Are the pickups and necks the same on both models?
I suspect they made two different models because MK wanted "his" shape, which to me is not ideal for 22nd fret access, and the NF 53 shape is "more classic-ish" shaped. As I noted elsewhere, the NF53 neck has upper fret access similar to my Squier Tele.

The pickups are not the same in these two models. NF 53 has "NF deep dish" pups, which have pole pieces that are (according to PRSh) half the amount of magnet that goes into a regular pole piece, but squished into an elongated rectangle, and could have more windings (and are deeper, thus the name). The net result if you listen to the demos is that the MK sounds more like a NF HB (fatter, higher gain), whereas the NF 53 sounds closer to a SC tone, but without the hum.

Switching is different. Neck thickness if slightly different.

Aesthetically, the shape is different (aside from fret access), and the pickguards are different.

So they really are two different guitars, that both happen to look like T-types.

I think PRS was aiming for the NF 53, but MK said "I want this and that differently", so PRS said "OK, two different models, let's not market just what MK wants".

I suspect the MK will go away after a few years, and the NF 53 will stay, but pick up a few of the MK features (like the pup single coil modes/tapping/whatever).

The narrow nut width is a plus for me but I’m guessing the neck will be too thick for me after watching the Andersons video. I’d like to get my hands on one to see but the only way possible is to order a new one online. I‘m not the type to buy a $3000 guitar just to try it out and return it.

I‘d be interested in a MK model with a roasted neck. Or at least some tinted maple.

NF53 design tweaks....tint that pale maple neck and loose that pickguard. The NF53 tones and looks are growing on me (w/out the ugly pickguard)...ok, if I really wanted to change something of the design, that large steel plate and ridiculously huge brass saddle have to go. A nice modern Gotoh hardtail tele bridge in gold would be very classy on the white doghair guitar. IMHO.
81iICFQUVyL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Back