Old second hand PRS SE or 2016 PRS SE or Akesson signature

rardyrard

I'm in the market for my first PRS SE

I'd love to find a SE Frederik Akesson model from a Euro store somewhere (I'm in Belgium) but they seem to be out of stock everywhere since they are discontinued.

Other than that, there is a PRS SE Custom 22 tremolo gray black available on a belgian website

Or one of those 2016 models which are really cool of course.

So that's an older PRS SE vs a 2016 that would cost me more

Is a 2016 one worth the extra? Especially from a build qualtiy persective then... I know cosmetically the newer ones a much much nicer with the beveled tops, bird inlays, but a also nicer electronics but these things don't matter as much currently.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
There was a used SE Frederik Akesson on leboncoin.fr recently but I just looked and it has gone. Cannot remember the price. I got an older SE Custom 22 like that one for sale on the Belgian site, but with stop-tail. I did not like the pickups so I swapped them out. Can certainly recommend the guitar anyway.

All SE's are good guitars, but if you can hold out for the Akesson, do it. It's a lot of guitar for the money, and a very special piece, with the ebony board, jumbo frets, and fully adjustable tailpiece with locking studs, not things you'd normally find on an SE. I tried several SE245's before trying the Akesson on a whim, and could instantly tell it was a more full sounding guitar, I think because of the bridge and locking studs.

The Custom with the trem is also a good guitar, but is going to sound different - more twang, less low end grunt, due to the different bridge. Similar to how a humbucker loaded Strat would sound vs. a Les Paul, but less pronounced. So it also depends on what sound you're after. Both are good.

If it were me, and I couldn't find an Akesson, I would grab a new or used SE245 and upgrade to a fully adjustable bridge, either the John Mann unit if you can get one shipped to you for a decent price, or a Tonepros w/locking studs, or PRS bridge. Could possibly even score one that someone took off a Zach Myers SE.

There are some SE Frederik Akesson's for sale in Europe with international shipping on a well known auction site. One of which is claimed to be new also.

Some excellent points to consider there, Andy. The SE FA has a chunkier neck too I think. If only that lovely ebony fingerboard came with dots or moons!

Depends on what style guitar you want... single cut or double cut. All SE's are quality.
That being said, I had an Akesson and wanted to love it, but it had a few issues, and the stock bridge is a pita. I moved it on after awhile.
Later my Mrs. bought me a newer Zach Myers, and it's a =way= better guitar than the Akesson ... imho (and a lot of others would likely agree...)
Try one of those if you can!

I prefer a doublecut unless it's an Akesson. As for the Zach Myers the guitar itself probably amazing guitar. The thing is everything else about the Zach Myers guitars I find off-putting. I realise it's kind of silly since I don't have to like the music or the dude it's irrelevant, but I don't know...

So that brings me to a 2016 SE Custom 22 or the Custom 22 second hand for quite cheap. Especially if perhaps the pickups could be a hindrance, I don't mind scoring some seymour duncans or something and and swapping.

If the older custom could be more twangy I stil might like it since I also have a stratocaster USA that feels great and also has that 'thinnness' the comes with a doublecut and trem. Would be a nice comparison then.

I really appreciate all the input!

Back