Old PRSi?

I started with PRS guitars in 1991, and have had a bunch over the years. The new ones have worked out best for me.

That doesn't mean the old ones are worse; they're simply different.

For me, the tone and playability have improved on the newer ones. There's something to be appreciated in all of them, as far as I'm concerned, but I tend to go with the more recent models. In particular, the tuning machines, the bridges, and the pickups have been my favorite improvements.

Before I splash the cash in my early retirement I was wondering are the old school PRS still as popular. Only it seems all the ones for sale have been there for years and I keep seeing others that were offered years ago still appearing from time to time by the same sellers/owners. I have had a few dozen early ones over the years all between 86 and 93 but let them go as my love hate PRS relationship persists. I went to look at some new '24's but just couldn't take to them, I love the almost handmade worn in unique feel of the old school guitars but I am wary of sinking three or four grand plus into one that I would struggle to sell on again.
What do you guys think? Any love for the old ones still, or has everyone moved on? After all Paul did once famously instruct us to sell them and buy the new models...lol.
All thoughts gladly received.

I'm all about old school. I've had some newer models but I didn't bond either. There's a lot of "Mojo" in the older models that's for sure. PRS golden years are Pre-2008 IMO. Good luck!

Guitars, to some extent, can be compared to cars.

Folks love to look at and drive those muscle cars, or big fin cars, etc, from the 50s, 60s, 70s.

But I think we can all agree today's cars perform better (gas mileage), are safer, and easier to drive. And today's versions of certain muscle cars look pretty nice too. Thank goodness no modern big fin cars!

I think that some people will bond to older PRSi for no other reason than because of the emotional attachment of holding and playing an older guitar, much as artistotle feels when playing those '54 Les Pauls. And I get that - if I came across a 1986 PRS at an affordable price in acceptable condition I'd probably jump at it, just for the history.

For other folks, the most recent models, with all the little improvements or changes that PRS has made over they ears, are now the best PRS available, and they will want these recent models over anything older. and I get that.

Oh, but no-one wants a 1984 Ford...fortunately PRS has not had any down periods like the 80s were for US car makers, and Gibson, and Fender...

Over here 1984 era Ford's are the new 'classic' car! People paying a lot more than they cost new for models like the XR3i and XR2. Anyway back to PRS.
Why do I have a love hate relationship, possibly because I have had a few I didn't bond with...DGT (David's one of my heroes) - didn't like the neck profile and chunky neck heel plus the first one I owned had the dreadfully sticky nitro. Hiland - rather a heavy guitar with a cheap feeling 5-way. The last I owned was a '91 which was sold to me as a Regular neck profile but arrived as the dreaded wide thin, it also had an slightly unstable feeling neck joint ( I can see why they lengthened the heel). Then there's the whole worry posting of PRS with the UK's dreadful couriers...not advised, they broke a friends '88 Customs neck/headstock. Then they play too well.....I have loads of Fender's and every time I buy a PRS I start to ignore my other guitars which makes me feel wasteful and bad. They also make me overplay a little...maybe I should stick 11's on the next instead of 10's?
Love? I think Paul is an amazing innovator, if he was in the UK the guy would have been knighted by now. He raised the bar, set the standard...everyone who had bought a guitar post 1986 has indirectly benefitted from his efforts as he made the other makers up their game too. I had the pleasure of spending some time with Paul in the early 90's ( my friend went to work for him) and he was a revelation, so passionate about his craft. I also love their look....only one thing finer than a curly topped vintage yellow late 80's PRS with sweet switch and birds to me and that's a worn original '53 Tele. My guitar hero plays one too.....David Grissom, I have every thing the guy has played on, yes even the obscure stuff and slightly cheesy country...can't get enough of his playing. Seen him live numerous times which ain't easy when you live in the UK!.Oh and I hate the nut width of the wide thin/wide fat necks...I'd have tried a 408 if they did a regular.
Thanks for the input guys :)

I have a few from the 90s. They were good enough that I went a decade without looking at guitars. Then I brought 3 home from 2009 Experience. I was surprised how far the bar had been moved.

But...I still really like the older ones. They are great guitars.

I think it's all about the players likes and tonal differences we all hear as a tone we love and the feel whether it be an 85 to 90 or a 2017 they are all beautiful lnstuments stradivarius of our time I think as a builder player wizard paul reed smith is hands down our lifetimes john dangelico I greatly appreciate all the instruments he has to offer us just beautiful works of playable art

That will always be a touchy subject. Of course the makers want evolve, and of course their jobs is to sell. More and more.
That said, I recently got my vintage PRS, a 87. That is the first PRS I've had that somehow has a hand made felling.
My oldest one before that is a D2. But even the D2 has a more "perfectly build" feel to it. Nowadays guitars are like German cars in terms of construction, but in my experience PRS from early 90s are almost like today's in this subject. The 87 is different. Not better, not worse. But definitely different.

Now, in terms of tone, the aim was always "classic tones". The 85 was supposed to sound like "a great strat in position 4, and the best 59 PAF in position 5 with the sweet switch up".
The 513 has "the best tone out of a 64 strat". The McCarty shootout had the tone of a 57 GT.
And in the end, the hottest thing around is a guitar with all the specs of a original Les Paul (neck length, bridge). And one of these days I was playing my early SC PS from 2000 and the tone was shockingly classic, with its 25inch scale and the wrap bridge.
Cliche #1: your tone is only as good as your hands can make it be.
Cliche #2: good guitars are good guitars, period. Good guitars MAKE your playing better, consequently your tone too.
I find myself souding really good with my PRSi, no matter model, age, era.
And that's enough to me.

I won`t buy it if I don`t intend to play it. I won`t keep it if it doesn`t inspire me. As others have said, there`s no golden period. There are guitars from every decade that you just don`t want to put down, because they keep the ides flowing. For me, the goal is to have those guitars and keep them. If you`re a collecter, then resale is important. I don`t even think of it.

Back