Old PRSi?

Vintage Yellow

Before I splash the cash in my early retirement I was wondering are the old school PRS still as popular. Only it seems all the ones for sale have been there for years and I keep seeing others that were offered years ago still appearing from time to time by the same sellers/owners. I have had a few dozen early ones over the years all between 86 and 93 but let them go as my love hate PRS relationship persists. I went to look at some new '24's but just couldn't take to them, I love the almost handmade worn in unique feel of the old school guitars but I am wary of sinking three or four grand plus into one that I would struggle to sell on again.
What do you guys think? Any love for the old ones still, or has everyone moved on? After all Paul did once famously instruct us to sell them and buy the new models...lol.
All thoughts gladly received.

wwell, as i only ever buy old ones i may be a little biased. I owned several post 95 instruments over the years and then i got the chance to own an 89 prs (the one in my Avatar). I havent owned a 'modern' one since. The build and the feel is (fpr me anyway) far superior. Well, the only reason that one went recently is trade for the handmade howard leese private stock. I still own an 88. For my money id go vintage. The other reason would be resale value if she has to fly the nest.

I have several thoughts, all negated by your self-proclaimed love/hate relationship with the old ones. While 1990 and earlier PRS guitars will likely never get cheaper than they are today, why bother if they eventually fall victim to the vicious cycle?

The core PRS guitars made right now are, in my opinion, the best playing/sounding. Even "hand made" Private Stock guitars start live in a CNC machine. That, however, has nothing to do with the fact that an 80's PRS with birds will always be an object of desire.

Any love for the old ones still, or has everyone moved on? After all Paul did once famously instruct us to sell them and buy the new models...lol.
For the record, he said that to me; not to everyone. I just started a thread about it and got to trudge through the sh!t storm it caused.

Paul's point was simply that he felt like his old guitars could be improved and that if I wanted the best sounding PRS available, I should either have the old ones updated or sell them for new ones. Not many guys out there willing to replace original parts on an 80's PRS.

Last edited:
I have played an 85 CU24 and it is a sweet guitar but in my unskilled hands my 2008 and 2006 fit the bill just fine.
If you are buying to collect the the 80s are the way to go, if it is to play any year will do just fine IMHO

Last edited:
The new ones are still being crucified on the used market which is a shame and there's an awful lot of Pattern thin necks about which I so dislike. The dealers are all asking silly prices for early ones including those having moons. The last one I tried to buy a couple of years back is still for sale at twice the price the dealer paid for it on ebay. Having bought PRS since the late 80's I really struggle with the notion of paying £3000 for an old one. Nice to see Garrett Park are still asking plenty for them. The last PRS I had was a '90 and for some reason the neck joint felt a little unstable to me when playing, anyone else experience that?

Based on the tweaks, updates and calling his latest pickups the ones he'd have made in 85, IMO, the latest PRS are his best ever. I wasn't a fan of the older models because of their tone. They have always been built well, much better than other brands. I suppose if you're looking for re-sale, the originals might be a better investment, but as far as sound and playability you cannot go wrong with a new one. The few times I've seen or talked to Paul Reed Smith he never struck me as a guitar maker who looks at the past of his instruments other than making them better.

The old ones are still popular with me. I don't doubt that the newer ones are better based on all the updates but there is something about the earlier ones that just work for me. Not sure if there is a good explanation. One upgrade that I wish I could easily retrofit would be phase 2 tuners. I've never liked the winged tuners.

Can't really go wrong with a PRS from any period. The nice thing about PRS is that there has never been a dark period like with Fender/Gibson. Paul has done a good job of controlling the company and prioritizing making the best product possible.

The guys are 100% right about resale though. Definitely grab an older used one if you want the best resale. New PRS don't have great resale although they can sometimes if you know how to buy.

I was at a meet 'n greet with PRSH last night and one of the attendees asked Paul if he thought the new ones were better than the old ones. His answer...."Absolutely". He was basically talking about the evolution of their learning how to make a better guitar over the last 30+ years.

Jim
0zyGVep.jpg

Ya it's kind of nuts...I bought an as-new CU22 last year, a couple years old, never played, I mean NEVER, not a scratch. Blank warranty card, all tags, for less than half of retail. It's a beautiful guitar, really exceptional and it's just a "lowly" base-model core.

The buyer's market persists...bad for some, good for the rest of us.

I would ask the question why the love hate relationship with the brand? And if so, why get back into the fray? Would I buy an old one? Yes if it was what I was looking for in the right color, a great playing guitar. And, sadly yes, there are a lot of over priced guitars out there for no reason other than buyers remorse or not wanting to lose money on a high ticket item. Unfortunately, guitars are like cars...drive it off the lot and it is worth 60% of what you paid for it.

My 2013 CU22 is spectacular but I always reach for the CE 22. It just has mojo.

The core PRS guitars made right now are, in my opinion, the best playing/sounding. Even "hand made" Private Stock guitars start live in a CNC machine. That, however, has nothing to do with the fact that an 80's PRS with birds will always be an object of desire.

For the record, he said that to me; not to everyone. I just started a thread about it and got to trudge through the sh!t storm it caused.

Actually, I do remember Paul hisself standing up in front of a mob at some Experience or the other saying "sell your old ones and buy new ones."

Now his job is to sell new guitars (duh) but I do like pretty much everything about the post-2008 and especially the post-2012s better than the older ones. I sold my pre-2001 PRSi (and haven't really missed them), and the pre-2008 guitars have had upgrades to post-2008 pickups. Oh, except for the '01 Singlecut that's perfect except for the Klusons.

In my opinion, build quality, pickups, and tuners have all gotten better on the newer guitars. Now the 80's/90's guitars have their own thing going and I definitely respect that.

I believe both Hans' and Squid's stories are correct (but I think Hans heard it first). Paul has been very vocal about the evolution of his craft and how fickle the market can be. There are collectors and there are players...with a few in between...but their standards remain static. Quality and innovation transgresses those groups' desires but production volume dilutes market value. It's still a buyers' market, regardless of the guitar. Personally, I buy the guitar that makes me happy, regardless of price or market value.

All I'm going to say is I love the old ones and new ones both. But like some one said, I don't like switching out parts out of a 87..
I have to admit I always go for my vintage custom24, always..

In terms of CU24 anyway, by far, I prefer the latest 30th anniversary models to the "vintage" ones. For my tastes anyway.

That's not to take away from the gestalt of playing an older piece. I have a couple of 54 Les Pauls, and while the psychological playing experience is far and away better than with an historic reissue...objectively, the new ones are just as good unless you like to pick nits regarding plastics and whatnot.

I like them all. I have played the 80's customs quite a bit, and some of those guitars have exceptional tops with unique flame and character in the wood---it looked old when it was new.

I currently have 4 PRS that i consider the best I have played, with a good range of years. A 2004 Santana II, a 2008 CU24 Artist/ebony board, a 2008 CU22 Artist stoptail with rosewood neck and ebony board, and a recent DGT Artist with a rosewood neck and ebony board.

The QC has always been superb. The sounds of the guitars have changed, with the larger heel, different tuners and the pickups have become more PAF-like over time. Its just a matter of what speaks to you.

Back