OK PRS...How About An S2 McCarty 594 Thinline "Plus" ???

CrimesAgainstMusic

Ok, I am quite taken by my newest addition, a McCarty 594 Thinline in Tobacco Sunburst... She is a pretty. But more than than, she has this "well-finished" feel about herself. I mean, by no means a "Core", but the fit and finish of the guitar is something that . maybe intangible, just feels a bit more "right" than my 2 SE's, ... Which are pretties in their own right, and are excellent especially considering their relative "modest" costs.

Yes, she costs more, so what the heck, she should feel cooler ...but there is more to her than that.

So , what would be "The Plus" ? Well I saw something in the SE 245 Line i didn't know existed ...

A SE 245 with a maple cap/ veneer ! :) I had only seen them in "standard" configuration , where they are pretties in their own right.

But PRS is about "over the top pretty ". And it appears to do that, to get the super cool flamed tops with the super pretty burst colors ... Takes a maple cap or veneer (or both) :oops:

So her is my "Proposal" ; An S2 McCarty 594 Thinline, with a slight maple cap (maybe a 1/8" to 1/4 " with a veneer that is wildly flamed to strut the "Super Pretty" PRS so aptly displays !!! :cool:

OK ... so the "Thinline" might get a bit chubby, with the addition of the cap but it not need to be as thick as the S2 Mc Carty's . And I prefer the control layout, and neck profile of the Thinline...

Keep the costs at or around the level of the S2 DC and SC. or at least under the CE level.

I'd have to have one of those ... and maybe make that line my "standard" PRS guitar ...

Do they do veneers on anything above an SE? Picking out the right beautiful finishes in maple caps is part of the thrill I find in searching for guitars. Adding a maple cap to the thinline...would make it a regular double cut McCarty right?

Not Exactly ...

I didn't buy a S2 DC 594... because I was scared off by the neck carve ... (Pattern Vintage)

That may have been an error, as I have since made "peace" with the SE "wide fat" carve on the Hollowbody, which is the next target of lust ...

But my Thinline "Plus" would retain the control layout and neck carve of the current Thinline , (I believe they call it "Pattern Thin") I like it better than the Wide Thin on the SE, and darned if it does not seem to have "rolled edges" (compared to the SE Wide Thin)

The thin maple cap or veneer, would be to only ad the super pretty "flamed " appearance to what is fast becoming my guitar fav ...(And give me an excuse to buy another one !)

AND ... Here's hoping , that without going Harley Benton (crazy exaggerated photo flame) ,that there is some obvious "flame" in the veneers in my desired SE Hollowbody, and my proposed S2 Thinline... as some of them may have maple caps, but not so much "flame" ...:oops:

Dudes ! Re- Tool ? OK ...

Cost as much as a Core ? No Way. It would be very similar to the already existing S2 DC and SC' s so it really does not need to cost Core $$$

Yes I do enjoy the original, which is why I bought it !

Just looking for an excuse (and enough product differentiation) to buy another ! :)

(I just have to find other Thinline mavens to convince Paul & Co to act !)

It don't need violin carves , or to be 3" thick and weigh 10 lbs, , just slap a flamey maple cap on it, and make in Dark Cherry Burst ! (they do an S2 like that... but its chunkier, and thicker in the neck )

As are ALL the Cores ...so they would not fill the bill (save the Hollowbody McCarty, which costs $6K ...:oops:

The Thinline is unique in the S2 line and I believe the Core line too, in that the closest neck profile is probably Pattern Regular, but I'm not sure its available in a 24.594" scale length.

It would be cool ! Folks will buy it ! A sweet, easier to play, more accessible PRS ! :)

And I think there is a large segment of the population, (with XX chromosomes, as opposed to XY) , that may realize that they can play more "comfortable" instruments with more manageable neck carves, scale lengths and overall weight ! (I'm cringing as I reveal this "inconvenient truth ", Here's hoping I don't get beat up , labeled , or zapped by the Forum Police) :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I think I am barking up the wrong tree !

In cruising this site, I saw a thread about S2 Dealer Orders ...

Maybe once PRS is able to catch up on the standard production stuff, and friggin Covid is beaten back ... A large dealer might ,if they saw any market potential in have my "Thinline Plus" (with the stripey maple veneer or cap made !

I'm gonna harass my Sales Engineer at the tasty water place to see what's up. Those guys are probably going crazy trying to get regular stock (took 6 months to deliver my Tobacco Thinline) so it may be awhile , if ever.

But nothing ventured, nothing gained ...

And if it happens, you can thank this crazyguy who wanted to "Turbocharge" the pretty of the "standard" Thinline to one with the super hot stripey top ...:)

If I’m a high volume PRS dealer, I’d opt for a special run with real US made 58/15 or 57/08s. More tone than the rather neutral sounding S2 MIK pups.

I’ve seen special run S2 mccarty single cut asking $2k. The thin profile neck you desire has not been a popular choice for a vintage minded guitar - they typically stick to vintage pattern. The thin type of neck is extremely popular on the CE runs.

If I’m a high volume PRS dealer, I’d opt for a special run with real US made 58/15 or 57/08s. More tone than the rather neutral sounding S2 MIK pups.

Have you listened to the stock 58/15S 'es in a Thinline ? I find its aural presentation to be considerably darker than the 85/15S (I have both, in a CU 24 and the Thinline) and I have "heard" the constant criticism of the 85/15S to the point I replaced one set with the Vaughn Skow "Replacement" set (money well spent)

But I don't feel compelled to run out and replace the 58/15S set. No "ice picky", or thin sounds or muddy tones ,even when coil cut. And Yes, I heard Phil McKnight's video, where the US 58/15. stomp the "S" versions. Might be more a function of where they are installed, as I have not heard that relative lack of "clarity" in the SE Hollowbodies ... where the same pickup is used ...

Adding US made 58/15's would be an "improvement" , I'm sure... But PRS really rains on the idea of using its US pickups in non- core guitars, by pricing them into the stratosphere (Hey I do have a coupla Strats too !) :)

And without any empirical evidence, but based on the scuttlebutt "history" that's available, I'd bet that some of the most famous, history making Rock riffs, (as done by Jimi, and maybe even Clapton) ... were done using "garden variety" stock pickups ...(backed by nuclear powered Marshall Amps) :eek:

No , my lust is driven on upping the "Pretty"... not transforming it into a Core.

Hey ... PRS does the veneer /cap treatment on the SE 245 ... So why not an S2 Thinline ?

So, you basically want a SG Modern, or a S2 594 non-thinline with a pattern thin neck. I really doubt a dealer is going to order a S2 with veneer, I don’t think the market is going to love a US guitar at that price with a veneer top. And a maple cap on the thinline would require retooling so I don’t see that happening either unfortunately. Dealer orders are generally anything you can easily replace on the production line, like colors, pickups, ebony instead of rosewood fretboard, etc. And a used core 594 wouldn’t be a world more expensive if it’s the fancy that you’re after.

Yeah, I like my Thinline alot too...:)

Have you noticed, that in the SE Std and Custom... how much weight the maple cap adds ?

I always "tease" my Custom about her being much porkier than her all mahogany sister !
But the all "hog" version has this rosewood veneer (A Sweetwater Exclusive) that gives her a extra degree of "pretty" ...

Then after seeing the SE 245 with a flamed maple veneer, and the color options it affords, I thought "Why not " ?

I'll have to see how much I like the "Wide Fat" neck once I cop a SE Hollowbody ...

If it is not a "thing", then maybe an S2 594 DC (in the super cool Dark Cherry Burst:) will be on the agenda ...

But I know I will not be crazy about the added "pork" ;)

I do adore the petite size of the Thinline ...:cool:

Last edited:
Take a CE for a spin. Core like grade aside the bridges, typically very light guitars, and I think just about all the new ones are thin profiled.

I love my thinline so much, but I’d love to order one with an ebony board, phase III tuners, and the 58/15 TCI pickups from the core, and a satin finish… it appears the only way I MIGHT be able to get this to happen is if I order 4… I’m seriously tempted.

Last edited:
Just my 2 cents, but I think there are too may "wide-fat" or "vintage" necks. They're on the SE 245 (I believe), SE Paul's Guitar, SE Hollowbody II, S2 McCarty, SE Zack Myers, maybe others. I'd prefer to see more "pattern" (or "pattern/regular)" necks. I'm unsure regarding all of the neck types.

Last edited:
Back