Odd pickup shapes

Actually, you didn’t tell her. You asked me (with guesstimate) in front of her. I was put in an impossible situation for pulling off a convincing lie. :eek::confused::p

And the only difference between you and Paul is he did it in front of a thousand people and then put it on YouTube. LOL!

Link?

What’s funny is when I first saw that video, I thought that to be an unattainable amount of PRS guitars to own. :oops::rolleyes:;):p

That’s what I thought when I first saw the video of Markie’s basement...now I show it to my wife whenever I’m expecting another delivery...

That number is the great mystery, kinda like “What is the meaning of life.”

Thank God there are people not afraid to try and solve this mystery...

Last edited:
Actually, you didn’t tell her. You asked me (with guesstimate) in front of her. I was put in an impossible situation for pulling off a convincing lie. :eek::confused::p

And the only difference between you and Paul is he did it in front of a thousand people and then put it on YouTube. LOL!

At dinner when we had Hansomatic Menus to choose our meals. I believe a fair amount of Seafood was eaten, then we went out & met G-money at his Birthday party..........

I will be the first to admit it, it was impressive the first time. However, from that point forward:

It must be nice having your own personal Guitar Center Vault to pillage. It’s so convenient, too! (GC wishes they had that kind of volume, quality, and variety)

I understand where you’re coming from 11Top. Totally get it.

I’ve had three guitars with 408s; the Sig Ltd., a 408, and PS20th. I bought the guitars because I wanted the pickups, and I’m happy with them, so the pickup change issue isn’t a concern.

But I can see that it could limit the potential number of buyers, though when I sold my Sig Ltd and my 408 before I got the PS20th, they both sold the first day. That could have been because they were very pretty guitars in mint condition.

I feel similar, but That's my G.A.S. excuse!!! I think of it as a reason to own another guitar...we all KNOW all Humbuckers sound different (right???). But different Shaped Pickups HAVE to sound different. (which they usually do)
Actually, my real main concern is how long the guitar will be in production, in case there's an issue with the stock/original pick-ups, will I be able to obtaining another direct replacement pick-up that will fit the route without mortgaging my Dumble (LOL)...In other words, I haven't found a model where I don't like the stock tones it offers.
or if that guitar model goes by the wayside, will PRS/MannMade/etc... still keep a stash of any particular "odd-shaped" pickup??

I would have serious difficulty routing out a 513, 305 or NF3 for "normal replacement (HB or SC) pickups".

I'm now a firm believer in not changing pickups although I have in the past.Am also a proud 408 owner but I have no need or desire to change pickups I like it the way it is. Had a Gibson All American didn't like the single coil pickups but I couldn't bring myself to enlarge the cavities for a standard size single coil, these are semi rare guitars and I didn't want to ruin it. A long time ago I had a 73 Fender Tele really nice routed it out for a humbucker in front of the bridge didn't like the sound. As far as I'm concerned I ruined the guitar remember once you route it there's no turning back and you will devalue the instrument.

Taking a twist on the OP, when I swapped the HFS in my CU24 with a squabbin 59/09, I wasn’t sure I liked the shape change. Then, after a few days, I really started to like the oddity of the combination of pickup shapes in that guitar. I’ve since changed back to the HFS - AGAIN - to try my luck at giving it a chance, but in that guitar I just can’t do it. After listening to several recordings, the 59/09 in t thinner body plays with the harmonics and overtones in a cool way, and one that I miss. Time to warm up the soldering iron...

The mixed squabbin look kinda rem8nds me of my LP with a mini and full sized humbucker, which I’ve grown to expect in that guitar and really like.

Back