NUGD - 2013 SE Cu 24, 7 String

That would be cool, but with this shorter scale (25”), tuning the low string to A leaves it too loose and floppy, doesn’t sound very good. Maybe one day I’ll try a SVN with the 26.5” scale, which should be better for tuning down. Maybe some bigger strings would help on this one, so I might try that soon and see. It will be a long time before I might be good enough to justify a SVN, but in the meantime I’m having fun with the B. :cool:

All Benedetto archtop jazz guitars along with many, many other fine jazz luthiers use a 25 in scale. It happens to be perfect for a 7-string but most use 12s to 70s. It would, however, work on longer scale fretboards also.

Wow, those are much bigger than what I have on there now, which measured 10 to 62. I have a new set that are 10 to 64 (using first 7 out of an 8 pack), but sounds like I need to go bigger still. Maybe I could lose the high string and use the 13 to 74 strings. :eek:

As a reformed jazz player, I can tell you that B is just as common as A on the low string. The bottom two strings become 5th/root instead of root/ 5th. Down for the 5th is one of the most common sounds in jazz.

Back