Not impressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, I don’t care. You’re just trolling here, and without a speck of knowledg/experience to boot. Play the guitar first, then complain all you want.

Spot on chap. We are all not born with a wealth of experience and a God given right like some others who feel that they just need to shout the loudest from their tower.

Forums should be a good place to build knowledge and experience through raising questions, sparking discussions builds a healthy forum.

There is nothing more productive to a forum than the old members just shouting "troll" to anything that they don't agree with and then just carrying on with the old boys club - getting a cheap high five in the process.

I'm sorry that you have taken my observations on the apparent change in quality of the Zebra SE with the change in manufacturing factory to heart. I had better go an up my post count by commenting "sweet top" to every NGD post to up my knowledge and experience.

From my own experience with other brands, there is typically a quality hierarchy. From highest to lowest; US, Japan, Mexico/Korea (interchangeable depending on model), China, Indonesia. The differences are largley due to “lesser” woods used, as they usually use local types, maybe not completely dried, but it’s also in the electronics, hardware, and laborers (giving a hoot, or not, about what they produce). There is also the choice of factory control, meaning is the factory controlled by the brand, or just a factory making guitars for many different brands. So I can understand some concerns about the Indonesian made instruments. Hopefully PRS can do something similar to Epiphone, having final QC in the US for foreign makes. And, nobody is perfect, I’m sure there can be some lemons that get through QC anywhere, but it is apparent that the lemons are few and far between for PRS.

It seems clear that these forums have a lot of passionate contributors who care deeply about PRS which is great - constantly calling somebody a troll just because they dare to raise a point you don't agree with seems very shallow. Trying to sweep any discussions that aren't necessarily glowing under the rug makes for a very sterile forum - but if the aim is to have everybody all sitting around the campfire singing kumbaya then go for it.

There have been of threads and posts where points have been made that folks here disagreed with and people weren't called trolls.

The troll-calling usually happens when people come in full of p!ss and vinegar and post with an attitude, and there's often a comment that tries to paint the entire brand with a brush that's undeserved. Or complain that PRS Guitars doesn't do things exactly to their own personal preferences, so obviously PRS is doing it wrong. If you come in wanting to vent instead of having a conversation, then you're probably going to get called a troll because nothing anyone says is going to make things better.

I had better go an up my post count by commenting "sweet top" to every NGD post to up my knowledge and experience.

Post counts mean nothing, and aren’t impressive to anyone. No one cares.

Jump into a thread dissing a guitar you have absolutely no personal experience with, and then be defensive about it? Laughable.

Try making a worthwhile contribution. Post a clip, and explain how you achieved your sound; talk about tone, or playability, or just making music. Talk about gear you know something about. Lots of us do all that.

It’s also OK to say you think someone’s new guitar is pretty sweet.

Or just keep trolling, and enjoy the response.

Last edited:
From my own experience with other brands, there is typically a quality hierarchy. From highest to lowest; US, Japan, Mexico/Korea (interchangeable depending on model), China, Indonesia. The differences are largley due to “lesser” woods used, as they usually use local types, maybe not completely dried, but it’s also in the electronics, hardware, and laborers (giving a hoot, or not, about what they produce). There is also the choice of factory control, meaning is the factory controlled by the brand, or just a factory making guitars for many different brands. So I can understand some concerns about the Indonesian made instruments. Hopefully PRS can do something similar to Epiphone, having final QC in the US for foreign makes. And, nobody is perfect, I’m sure there can be some lemons that get through QC anywhere, but it is apparent that the lemons are few and far between for PRS.

I don't understand why Indonesia is different from Mexico/Korea or any other instrument made outside the US. All these guitars start out on CNC machines and PRS supposedly inspects the build before releasing it for sale. My guitar had inspection tags from both PRS and Sweetwater. Hell, folks here badmouth the quality of Gibson and other US manufactures.
I'm a sh**ty guitar player. To put a 5k or 10k investment in my hands would be disrespecting the instrument. My only guitar was an acoustic and I wanted to play around with an electric. I decided upon going the PRS route after a bit of research. I chose the 2018 Indo guitar over the Korean because (and I may be wrong) the only difference was the prettier wood on top. Same tuners, bridge and pickups for 2018. Both Korean and Indonesian were in my predertimed price range. I remember someone buying the Korean because they didn't want the "entry level" Indonesian and I had a nice chuckle over that one. Both guitars are under 1k and I considered any import to be entry level PRS. If I ever graduate from Sh**ty guitar player to Not That Bad, I will then start looking at the US PRS guitars.

That said, I have no complaints about the quality of my Indonesian guitar. Out if the box the action and intonation were good. It looks nice, plays great and sounds good to me. Had the guitar arrived with issues, I would have immediately contacted Sweetwater and PRS. I have no doubts that any issues would have been remedied.

Spot on chap. We are all not born with a wealth of experience and a God given right like some others who feel that they just need to shout the loudest from their tower.

Forums should be a good place to build knowledge and experience through raising questions, sparking discussions builds a healthy forum.

There is nothing more productive to a forum than the old members just shouting "troll" to anything that they don't agree with and then just carrying on with the old boys club - getting a cheap high five in the process.

I'm sorry that you have taken my observations on the apparent change in quality of the Zebra SE with the change in manufacturing factory to heart. I had better go an up my post count by commenting "sweet top" to every NGD post to up my knowledge and experience.

Spot on chap :)

I like this forum better than most and they're are some cool people here but I've noticed the same gang tackling behavior coming from forum "residents". It's a reminder that this forum is primarily a marketing tool for PRS and anything perceived as potentially damaging to their profit margin is going to be immediately gang tackled by koolaid drinking fanboys and those employed/compensated by PRS marketing department to help manage their public image.

All is well in Stepford, the residents are happy, the lawns are all perfectly mowed, the garbage is kept out of sight, and everyone smiles at each other all the time... or else :)

I like this forum better than most and they're are some cool people here but I've noticed the same gang tackling behavior coming from forum "residents". It's a reminder that this forum is primarily a marketing tool for PRS and anything perceived as potentially damaging to their profit margin is going to be immediately gang tackled by koolaid drinking fanboys and those employed/compensated by PRS marketing department to help manage their public image.

All is well in Stepford, the residents are happy, the lawns are all perfectly mowed, the garbage is kept out of sight, and everyone smiles at each other all the time... or else :)
Methinks this forum was created by and for the people who were successful in running and enjoying previous incarnations of other PRS forums.
I might be wrong, but I think we had to ask/plead/beg Paul to let it be created and maintained.
I'm pretty sure it was not created as a marketing tool, although stuff changes when you get up in the morning.:D

I may be a Resident Fanboy, BUT I am not compensated by PRS in any way or kind. Unless the checks are being misdirected before they get to my mail box. In which case I am still not being compensated by PRS in any way or kind. OBTW Koolaide is just sugur water, Drink the wine its better for you.

OK, I have no opinion of the guitar that was offered by Sweetwater that had apparently a number of visible flaws. All I can say is that if it was offered as a demo, and the flaws were shown honestly, then the buyer knew what they were getting. We have no idea how those flaws got there - could have been a good thrashing by the Sweetwater team wringing it out to see how sturdy it was compared to the Korean made instruments, could have been that way straight out of the box (not sure why they wouldn't have sent it back in that case).

Here is a currently offered "demo" of a zebrawood exotic top, with flaws noted. The "debris" under the finish on the neck is probably from the factory (frankly, I can barely see it, but I understand it might bother some folks). Not sure about the scrape-looking blemish on the bottom, looks like a surface scrape that could be buffed out (but that is just one photo):

CTIA03621-detail3-large.jpg.auto.webp

CTIA03621-detail4-large.jpg.auto.webp

If this is typical of the guitars coming out of Core-Tek, I would be very surprised - I don't think PRS want to sully their reputation so quickly. Even if that is the one out of 100, that still is disappointing. PRS QC is supposedly better than that. If the debris was from the factory but the scrape induced in shipping or at Sweetwater, then that is a different story.

For the poster that was looking at a "demo" Zebrawood with all the flaws around the frets, would you have saved any of the photos or links thereof?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back