Not a PRS Question - anyone using Consumer Cellular. Thanks

Frank McNerney

Shoitza
I hope this post isn't in bad taste - if it is let me know and I'll delete it.

I'm thinking about switching to consumer cellular because my current carrier has the worst customer service in the history of the world

If you have experience and would care to share it ? I'd appreciate it

I hope this post isn't in bad taste - if it is let me know and I'll delete it.

I'm thinking about switching to consumer cellular because my current carrier has the worst customer service in the history of the world

If you have experience and would care to share it ? I'd appreciate it
I got my parents into Consumer Cellular a couple of years ago. The problem is that they sit on top of other carriers’ networks (I believe mainly T-mobile, which doesn’t have as much coverage as the other big guys). What would happen is that there was always a significant wait until a call connected. Also, significant areas with no coverage, where there should be (e.g., when he’d drive between NY and Boston. )

That being said, they’re making sure that all their customers are upgrading their phones to be 5G-compatible, so I think they’re now using newer networks. Since then, coverage, and the delayed connections, are much improved.

I got my parents into Consumer Cellular a couple of years ago. The problem is that they sit on top of other carriers’ networks (I believe mainly T-mobile, which doesn’t have as much coverage as the other big guys). What would happen is that there was always a significant wait until a call connected. Also, significant areas with no coverage, where there should be (e.g., when he’d drive between NY and Boston. )

That being said, they’re making sure that all their customers are upgrading their phones to be 5G-compatible, so I think they’re now using newer networks. Since then, coverage, and the delayed connections, are much improved.
Thanks !!

Been using them for I think 10 years now! Very happy with the service most of the time!! Part of my problem is, I live at the base of a small mountain, so when I am home, I can not get a "triangulated" signal, which leaves many days spotty on coverage at home (installed a signal booster in the house recently and it has helped a bit). That said, I don't care who the provider is, things are tough here at the house because of it's location and lack of tower exposure. As Dirty Boogie stated, they lease their cell tower (network) space from the big boys. Where I am at, they use AT&T's network. One thing that I really like about them is, when you are getting close to your monthly limits on data or texts or voice calls, they send you a warning, and for $5 or something, you can boost it just for that month. This is opposed to what many carriers do which is, let you keep using the coverage, don't tell you about the overage and then charge you an exorbitant rate for that overage! I know many have "unlimited" plans, but those that don't know how these companies can really hit you hard when you go beyond your plans limits!! You get a discount if you are an AARP member (wow, did I just say that?)!!!

I use Consumer Cellular and recommend them. Good customer service. They use At&T cell towers where I live.

If you happen to have an AT&T phone, or one that's unlocked, check out PureTalkUSA. We've been with them 1-1/2 years and get great reception everywhere we go. In our area they use AT&T towers but that ight be different in others.

Back