Brand New 35th Anniversary 10 top Coil Split DOA

Brett Robinson

I received my 35th Anniversary 10 top 2 weeks ago from Sweetwater. As I started using the coil tap I have found that when I have the master switch in the neck position and if I split the coil using the toggle switch closest to the neck, to the up position and then return the switch to the down to the humbucker position my guitar is dead with no output. I have replaced cable and tried on 2 different amps with the same results. I did find if I touch a paper clip to the pickup when it is dead it comes back to life. I am wondering if the pickup is not grounded properly, has a bad component or cold solder joint.

I sent an email to PRS customer service on 8/24 & 8/25. I also called and spoke to Brenda at PRS on 8/25. She stated that customer service is very backed up and someone would get back to me. As of 8/28 no one has gotten back to me. I would normally be understanding with a little delay but I spent 4 times as much as I ever have for a dream guitar and would hope they would have been all over this issue. I can't believe this made it thru QC.

Has anyone else had this issue or have a suggestion on how to get my new guitar fully working???

I know this is weird so I made a video to show the problem and I cannot post a link as I am new to the board but if you go to youtube and type or paste /watch?v=45PwUaUz02A after the youtube.com you can see my issue.

I have had a similar issue with a 509. I wouldn’t say it made it through QC with that issue. More likely a bump during shipping. Mine happened to be a broken solder joint. Also, if you got it from Sweetwater, they have their own inspection before it ships. I’d either wait to hear from PRS, or contact your rep at SW

Yeah Sweetwater are the ones who should've been all over it!

Are you comfy with wiring? Pulling off the controls cover plate and gently poking the wire with a wood chop stick will show the offending wire.

I had one case like this with a S2 594, it was a broken solder joint from shipping, and would work most of the time.

Good luck and welcome!

Last edited:
I have had a similar issue with a 509. I wouldn’t say it made it through QC with that issue. More likely a bump during shipping. Mine happened to be a broken solder joint. Also, if you got it from Sweetwater, they have their own inspection before it ships. I’d either wait to hear from PRS, or contact your rep at SW
Yes, both Sweetwater and PRS were notified earlier this past week. I am good with a soldering iron but after breaking my budget on this one I will wait to see what PRS or Sweetwater can do before I go reflowing the solder joints.

Yeah Sweetwater are the ones who should've been all over it!

Are you comfy with wiring? Pulling off the controls cover plate and gently poking the wire with a wood chop stick will show the offending wire.

I had one case like this with a S2 594, it was a broken older joint from shipping, and would work most of the time.

Good luck and welcome!
Yes, I am good with a soldering iron but after breaking my budget on this one I will wait to see what PRS or Sweetwater can do before I go reflowing the solder joints.

Back