Noisy Tremolo Springs... What do you do?

Gibson67v

I'm wondering what everyone here does for Noisy Tremolo Springs. I know we're working with guitars that are a few grand and all, but what do you do to fix the Ringing?

Here's what I do. I know it's extremely cheap, but, it works! I use some electrical tape and put it over 2 of the springs on both sides. Stops the ring and lasts quite a while! You'll also notice that I leave the back open incase I want to make some adjustments for the trem arm (I only do it when I first buy the guitar, so kind of pointless... I guess!)

wr5LtTX.jpg

Here is a CE 22 in Whale Blue with... Electrical Tape
yno31PV.jpg

Here is a Custom 24 in Autumn Sky (bought it 2 days ago...) with Electrical Tape
P5opiEV.jpg

Here is a Custom 24 in Fire Red with Electrical Tape
dvk18uz.jpg

and finally... Here is a CE 22 VIntage Yellow with... You guessed it!! ELECTRICAL TAPE!!
i3Heh7s.jpg

so again... what do you guys use?

I noticed that my guitar has a bit of this as well. Would love to hear peoples' opinions on this :)

I bought some SpringNO Tremolo Spring Silencers from Allparts to try them out in my #1, which also happens to have a Tremol-no installed.

I put them in, played for about two minutes, and immediately took them back out. Turns out I like what the springs contribute to my guitar's tone. Makes it sound livelier.

I bought some SpringNO Tremolo Spring Silencers from Allparts to try them out in my #1, which also happens to have a Tremol-no installed.

I put them in, played for about two minutes, and immediately took them back out. Turns out I like what the springs contribute to my guitar's tone. Makes it sound livelier.

I always just hated the Ringing when I was playing without an amp... on my CE's it seemed like something was wrong. The tape just stops them from vibrating it not on tight or anything haha.

I've noticed lots of people blocking out the tremolos over my last almost 20 years of playing... it's a preference... but doesn't that stop you from pulling the bar up?

It does. :D Works well for me though as I don't use trems and play in alternate tunings sometimes. I also prefer the feel/tone when blocked. Not to derail your thread...

I used to slip a thick rubber band over the strings (it required removing them from the claw), but then decided to remove them as I believe the spring vibration has a positive effect on tone and sustain.

I realised the noise only bothered me when I was palm muting, then completely stopping playing and listening for the noise. In a normal band situation I didn't notice the noise, ever.

I used to slip a thick rubber band over the strings (it required removing them from the claw), but then decided to remove them as I believe the spring vibration has a positive effect on tone and sustain.

I realised the noise only bothered me when I was palm muting, then completely stopping playing and listening for the noise. In a normal band situation I didn't notice the noise, ever.

Exactly! I could only hear it when I was playing without an amp. I'm currently in an apartment (which is painful!!) so I play mostly without an amp as I don't usually get home from work until 6 (only a few amplifier hours available)... I usually take the tape off when I'm recording (not for tonal reasons... I just do it instinctively hahaha). I know a lot of players that will tape off the High E and B strings when they're recording (if they aren't using those strings...) I just never understood that because I always thought that it was kind of cheating yourself.

Exactly! I could only hear it when I was playing without an amp. I'm currently in an apartment (which is painful!!) so I play mostly without an amp as I don't usually get home from work until 6 (only a few amplifier hours available)... I usually take the tape off when I'm recording (not for tonal reasons... I just do it instinctively hahaha). I know a lot of players that will tape off the High E and B strings when they're recording (if they aren't using those strings...) I just never understood that because I always thought that it was kind of cheating yourself.
I've heard this on a couple prs guitars. It's odd. I was curious as to what it was. But , I hear a ringing overtone, almost as if it's an octave note bleeding in, which it isnt but seems to have that effect kind of. Only when unplugged. Is this spring vibration I am hearing or a certain pitch that's getting an ovetyone from the spring? Which is odd, but it is definitely there on a McCarty but not a cu24

The “noise” from the trem springs definitely can be picked up by the pups and then amplified by the amp, though I wouldn’t call it noise, I like it. :)

Demonstrated in this video, guitar straight into a POD, so there is no acoustic sound, only what the pups hear. Skip the sloppy playing and go to the end to hear the springs ringing.

The “noise” from the trem springs definitely can be picked up by the pups and then amplified by the amp, though I wouldn’t call it noise, I like it. :)

Demonstrated in this video, guitar straight into a POD, so there is no acoustic sound, only what the pups hear. Skip the sloppy playing and go to the end to hear the springs ringing.

Cool strat tones!! I heard it only when you raked the springs at the end. Didnt hear it the playing tho. If I did I liked it:) mine is only on A notes it seems. 5th on the D ,12th on the A strings mainly, I can hear it vaguely on the g on the 2nd fret and somewhat 10th on the b string. I was concerned it was possibly truss rod rattle, took the back plate off and it seems it's the springs... I hope! Thanks for the reply and the vid!!!

Thx. :oops: Oh yeah, I couldn’t hear it while playing with distortion, but do when playing clean, albeit much more subtle than when I strummed them. I only made the vid to demonstrate that pups hear more than just the strings, in response on another forum where there were many who emphatically denied any other influence on a guitar sound besides strings vibrating. They absolutely had nothing but disdain for the term “tonewoods”. Thankfully I discovered this forum where they just get it. ;)

There is another type of ringing/reverberation that I can hear with fixed bridges too, only when amplified, which I attribute to tubes ringing.

Thx. :oops: Oh yeah, I couldn’t hear it while playing with distortion, but do when playing clean, albeit much more subtle than when I strummed them. I only made the vid to demonstrate that pups hear more than just the strings, in response on another forum where there were many who emphatically denied any other influence on a guitar sound besides strings vibrating. They absolutely had nothing but disdain for the term “tonewoods”. Thankfully I discovered this forum where they just get it. ;)

There is another type of ringing/reverberation that I can hear with fixed bridges too, only when amplified, which I attribute to tubes ringing.
I am curious why I hear it on one guitar with trem and not another. Same trem system, same scale length. I guess I should be thankful lol

Back