No more MR purple! Pomegranite PS problems solved!

Tag

Good news.

I was able to meet with Paul, Tina, Paul Miles, and another real nice guy whos name I just can not remember. I believe he is the head of domestic sales. Anyway, first off, I can say without any hesitation, Paul Reed Smith is a genuine, nice guy. He had zero attitude, and never talked "down" to me or anyone else in the room. Paul Miles I love He really knows what he is talking about, and if he can not answer a question, he will seek out the correct answer and not try and talk around it. VERY good. Tina is also totally cool, and seems to be a calming factor. Like a great bass player, never lets things get to crazy!! Paul did not rush me, he listened to all of my concerns, and came up with what I feel is totally fair. It was nice to lay the guitar on the table, put the sample piece of wood with the Pomegranite color I had originally picked next to it, and have everyone agree the colors were very different. I think between that and the chambering/semi hollow differences, they realized I was not nit-picking, and that my frustrations were well founded. (At least I hope they felt that way.)

What helps my piece of mind is I found out exactly why 3-4 of my major issues over the last 3 guitars happened, and while PRS did make some mistakes, it seems most were between the dealer/PRS communication process. I can say this, for a PS, its best to go to PRS, pick your woods, and go over every detail to the nth degree with the PS team themselves. Leave NOTHING to chance, or left to be figured out and or communicated between the dealer and PS team. (This is not as easy as it sounds, so plan things out WAY ahead of time) This is where the problems seem to occur. After speaking with them face to face and seeing their confidence, I feel much better about letting them refin the Pomegranite to the color I want. They believe, without any doubt, they can get it right on. (See, it wasnt the wood!) They have two guys who spray, and one tends to mix things much darker. Guess who sprayed mine? Soo... A refin it is to the correct color, and if I am let down by it changing the killer top in any way, I can have a full refund on the guitar, and start over. It also ends up the chambering (semi hollowness) on this one is actually correct, its my last one that was wrong.
eek.gif
The last one, which to me seems more "semi hollow" is what they call chambered, (Although I ordered it semi hollow , and it even says so on the certificate) and my new one that seems to me to be chambered, is what they call semi hollow. (But also says semi hollow on the certificate)
ack2.gif
From what they tell me, if you xray the guitars, the one that looks more solid from inside the cavity, is actually more routed out. So my blue one that sounds more semi hollow to me, is actually less so. I would really like to see xrays of these!!!!! Maybe I will take them to my dentist.
biggrin.gif
It does seem like this new one has the correct inner structure (whatever you want to call it) of the original production Artist 3s, so this one IS what I always wanted!

On top of that Paul is taking my first private stock, (the one that has the1/8" thinner body, and oddly, no one there can figure out why or how) and is going to make it sound as good as possible. New Frets, new pups, new tuners and a new nut, all on him.
smile.gif
(WAY more than I thought, the guitar is 8 years old!) At that point, I said with all of that, I am going to pay for a refin on it. It will be like a totally new guitar. I picked out two different blue/green colors, and told them to use which ever they thought would make the top "pop" the best. So it will be a surprise. He also offered to see what he could do with my blue ebony board guitar. He could not retop it, and it sounds to good as is to mess with, so that one is being left alone. I am still upset that a refin has to be done, but I can see that without getting my note and picture, its not 100% their fault. They should have matched the pomegranite sample I handed them, but the darker maroon color has gone out to a lot of people who seem to really dig it. I happen to not be one of them. I have no idea when this will be done, but of course pics as soon as possible.

A few more nice things. When Paul first picked up the Pomegranite guitar, the first words which were more or less to himself...."This thing sounds GREAT. Rings like a bell. We talked about the body depth, semi hollow/trem construction adding to the tone, and he said maybe they should start offering them again. You could see he was genuinely impressed with the tone. He kept playing it, tapping the body, and listening, over and over, with a half smile on his face. Kind of like what I do, but I get the drool as well! . :redface: VERY GOOD! I have been saying this for years. The trem, deep body, semi hollow combination is like magic. One more thing.. PRS guitars are thought of by many to be "pretty guitars" with no soul. I am sure Paul knows that the nice woods, and beautiful looks makes his guitars stand out, but when you talk to him, and watch him play, this is of zero concern. None. Its all about how the guitar plays and sounds. Thats it. For someone who makes such beautiful guitars, he does not even mention it. Maybe thats why his guitars sound and play so good. Underneath it all, he is "just" a guitar player.

VERY GOOD, VERY GOOD!!!

Last edited:
Tag I'm so thrilled that you had "your day in court" and was able to come out a double winner, I had no doubt that PRSh and his awesome team will rectify the BIG mishap but was waiting for you to set a date to go to the meeting, but lo an behold i read your post this morning and can't wait for more updates in the near future.
well done brother :congrats:

what a great resolution! Glad that is all cleared and behind us...can't wait to see the pics when it arrives!

Paul is a really good guy!

By the way, I hope he resurrects the semi-hollows or whatever it is you're talking about, too, because they are awesome.

Thrilled to hear this!!! :)

Not surprised to find out the miscommunication was (in part) between the dealer and PRS.

You deserved good customer service, and it sounds like you got it. I look forward to the update.

Thrilled to hear this!!! :)

Not surprised to find out the miscommunication was (in part) between the dealer and PRS.

This is the hard part, because both Phil at alto and Eric from Wilcutts are really, really good guys. I dont know how so many things went wrong, but moving forward, I know what i have to do to get things right. That is why the semi hollow issue was done right this time. Paul Miles was directly involved, and what he was not sure of, actually went to the drawing board and got it right. It was the other times that were wrong, although I still have no idea how that could have happened.
As it ends up, I may like the "mistake" tones even more, and hopefully can order another of those (but a bit differently) in the future. :rock: That guitar (Blue with ebony board) sounds AMAZING to me. Paul liked "the guitar formerly known as Mr Purple" more I think. What I may want next is actually an F hole hollowed guitar, (which looks to me to be totally hollow except for center block, but I may be wrong) but with no F hole. Wonder if it could be done? Now THAT would resonate like a MFer! :eek:

Last edited:
Damn! I was looking forward to picking up used MR PURPLE for myself. :laugh: (Just kidding, even used it was out of my range)

Glad to hear things went well for you. Fingers crossed that everything turns out the way you want.

Another story that speaks volumes of what this company is all about. It's so uplifting to me that time and time again I keep reading these stories that further solidify my trust in this company. I really feel that one won't find this level of service, passion, and dedication to customers in other companies that you get with PRS. Mr. Smith and all of his affiliates show true passion for what they do and I couldn't be more proud to be using the instruments they produce, and have also converted at least two other guitar players to PRS.

Congratulations Tag, I'm really happy to hear that you are getting what you truly wanted. Kudos for keeping up with it and staying determined and level headed with the situation. And congrats to the Private Stock team that is helping you through the process...there are other companies out there where there would be A LOT more leg work, and possibily lawers, in order to get what you paid for.

Looking forward to the future NGD....Cheers!!!!

Congratulations! This is one of the reasons why you spent the big bucks; to deal with a First Class Company and Owner. PRS, the man and the Company are #1 in my book!

Great story Tag, and glad it worked out. I also spent some time with Paul, and as you found out, it is ALL about the sounds to him, first and foremost. Of course the quality and looks are magnificent, but anyone who spends any time with Paul quickly realizes that he is obsessed with finding the perfect tone at any cost, and then trying to improve on it!

And your positive experience speaks volumes about the character of the company.

This doesn't surprise me at all after my experience with PRSh and how he personally got involved to make my PS dream guitar a reality. All class all the time with this company. I'm sure you'll be blown away by the eventual results. Paul has only one response to his customer's concerns...."The answer is YES!".

I was able to meet with Paul, Tina, Paul Miles, and another real nice guy whos name I just can not remember. I believe he is the head of domestic sales. Anyway, first off, I can say without any hesitation, Paul Reed Smith is a genuine, nice guy. He had zero attitude, and never talked "down" to me or anyone else in the room. Paul Miles I love He really knows what he is talking about, and if he can not answer a question, he will seek out the correct answer and not try and talk around it. VERY good. Tina is also totally cool, and seems to be a calming factor. Like a great bass player, never lets things get to crazy!! Paul did not rush me, he listened to all of my concerns, and came up with what I feel is totally fair. It was nice to lay the guitar on the table, put the sample piece of wood with the Pomegranite color I had originally picked next to it, and have everyone agree the colors were very different. I think between that and the chambering/semi hollow differences, they realized I was not nit-picking, and that my frustrations were well founded. (At least I hope they felt that way.)

Tag, first off, let me say how happy I am for you. Going down to Stevensville was absolutely the right thing to do, and I'm glad to hear how well it worked out for you.

BTW it's "pomegranAte." ;) (I had a Klein Electric for years that was finished in "pomegranate burst")

Paul Miles is The Man, as far as I'm concerned. The Private Stock program got a huge boost when he took over. With all due respect to Mr. Knaggs. And Tina is another great person, perfect for the gig. The bass player analogy is right on.

A few more nice things. When Paul first picked up the Pomegranite guitar, the first words which were more or less to himself...."This thing sounds GREAT. Rings like a bell. We talked about the body depth, semi hollow/trem construction adding to the tone, and he said maybe they should start offering them again. You could see he was genuinely impressed with the tone. He kept playing it, tapping the body, and listening, over and over, with a half smile on his face. Kind of like what I do, but I get the drool as well! . :redface: VERY GOOD! I have been saying this for years. The trem, deep body, semi hollow combination is like magic. One more thing.. PRS guitars are thought of by many to be "pretty guitars" with no soul. I am sure Paul knows that the nice woods, and beautiful looks makes his guitars stand out, but when you talk to him, and watch him play, this is of zero concern. None. Its all about how the guitar plays and sounds. Thats it. For someone who makes such beautiful guitars, he does not even mention it. Maybe thats why his guitars sound and play so good. Underneath it all, he is "just" a guitar player.

This is SO true, and totally agrees with my own experience of Paul, whom I've known for over 20 years. I wish I could get over how tweaked I am every time some idjit on That Other Forum carries on about how PRSh is just in it to sell pretty guitars that have no soul. But I can't. It just pisses me off. There is nobody in the industry who works harder to keep improving every product that goes out the door. And, as anyone who has sat in a room with Paul playing and listening to guitars can attest, TONE is ALWAYS at the forefront of his mind. I love watching him get revved up about a guitar. And how cool when it's YOUR GUITAR. :)

Good story, man. You made my night.​

Last edited:
Back