NickelBack

I always thought Dave was cool. Being from the DC-area we crossed paths a bunch of times back in the day and he seemed like a good guy, and he's still friends with one of my best buds too. But, wow! what a dickish thing to say about fellow-artists when you are in the position he is. Not cool at all.

If I were to guess, I'd say this is not the real Dave Grohl. It's probably one of the many fake accounts.

Not the real Dave Grohl.

I just found Dark Horse in the 5 dollar bin at wal-mart but mine wasn't there, wait, I don't have one!

So comparing SRV and Santana to Nickelback kind of doesn't work because they weren't exactly 'song based' rock acts.

...and that's exactly my point, right now "song based" is what time it is. It wasn't always that way, and that's why I went on to jazz, which is more about developing a unique voice that can be presented over any song (the jazz standards), it's a different musical philosophy.

Although I do admit talking about this and coming onto this forum with a lot of rockers makes me want to start up a rock songwriting project after I'm finished with the R&B project I'm doing. It might be hard for me not to write like an old fart rocker or sound like it a Billy Squier reject, but I just might have to give it a shot. ....................... I think I'll name it "Stickleback".............after the fish.:rock:

I just found Dark Horse in the 5 dollar bin at wal-mart but mine wasn't there, wait, I don't have one!

I saw one of my CD's for sale on the Big Lots website... Crying in the shower helps reduce the red puffiness around my eyes.

It might be hard for me not to write like an old fart rocker or sound like it a Billy Squier reject, but I just might have to give it a shot. ....................... I think I'll name it "Stickleback".............after the fish.:rock:

Just, aaaah, no fartin' while rockin' and it'll all be OK. :rofl:

Just, aaaah, no fartin' while rockin' and it'll all be OK. :rofl:

.....aw man, but burritos are perfect jammin food, they fit exactly right on the amp head with the salsa dripping on the tubes . Gives me that "sizzle" sound.

I hope you're right. It he really said that I would lose a lot of respect for him.

if it was really him saying it, why would you "lose alot of respect for him"? in this absoloutely sickening, candy-a$$ed, touchy-feely, politically correct world we're forced to live in anymore, why is someone answering a question or giving a opinion "HONESTLY and TRUTHFULLY" the wrong thing to do?

if it was really him saying it, why would you "lose alot of respect for him"? in this absoloutely sickening, candy-a$$ed, touchy-feely, politically correct world we're forced to live in anymore, why is someone answering a question or giving a opinion "HONESTLY and TRUTHFULLY" the wrong thing to do?

It's just not a respectable thing to do. Hypothetically speaking, even if deep down, Dave really did hate Nickelback, it's just rude to talk sh!t about someone else's band like that. If I already liked NB, it's not going to change my opinion of them just because Dave says he doesn't like them. It just makes Dave look like a douche. It's one of those cases where if you don't have something nice to say, you probably shouldn't say anything at all.

Edit: And this is coming from someone who isn't particularly fond of Nickelback at all.

Last edited:

I'll express an opinion about your post. It's sh!tty.

Was that the right thing or the wrong thing to say in this absolutely sickening candy-assed, touchy-feely world we're forced to live in?

I would say that's the right thing to say.

He is absolutely right in his description of what our society has devolved into, and you absolutely have the right to your opinion on it.

Now we can all get our medals for participating in this post.

I'll express an opinion about your post. It's sh!tty.

Was that the right thing or the wrong thing to say in this absolutely sickening candy-assed, touchy-feely world we're forced to live in?

There are plenty of places you can go on the 'net where manners don't count. This isn't one of them.

I would lose respect for him for using his position within the music business to bash a peer. There are precious few musicians/musical acts that have the talent or drive to make it to the level that a band like Nickelback or Foo Fighters have, whether you like the music they make or not. I have always believed that those of us who do now or have ever played in a band, whether they make a living that way or are just having fun, are members of a fraternity and as such respect one another whether they are in the same genre or not.

I am really glad to hear that it's been reported as a fake Dave (I was too gullible), so this is all a moot point anyway. I knew the guy years ago and he sure never seemed like the type to do something like that. My feelings on the matter in general stand though - if you're a real pro you don't piss on your brothers.

Nice way of putting it gball.

To be honest, I put Nickelback on a higher pedestal then Foo Fighters - and before you all start slamming me because everyone likes to act like it's sacriligous to dislike Dave Grohl because he's supposed to be 'the nicest guy in rock' (which is bs, there are a ton of super nice people in rock, including the guys in Nickelback), Nickelback got to where they are with A LOT of hard work. They started in 1992 or something the same way a lot of bands did, playing covers and peppering in originals at paying gigs. They didn't actually put out a major label album until 1999. They toured their butts off consistently and even when they got big they always treated the bands they brought out as openings acts with respect and took good care of them.
As for DG and the Foo Fighters, they got big right from the start due to the nirvana attachment. People were buying their first album when it came out looking for clues and songs about kurt. People went to shows to see the drummer for nirvana. It just so happened that they had good songs too, but I highly doubt that they would have been AS BIG had they not had the nirvana allure and attachment to them.

Last edited:
Very interesting take on Foo Fighters. I had not considered it that way. Also appreciate the brief history of Nickelback. I wasn't aware of that. You have to appreciate any of these bands that worked from nothing and played their hearts out before finally getting a break!

Such a nice change from the pop scene where so many acts / groups are pieced together artificially in order to be stars.

Nice way of putting it gball.

To be honest, I put Nickelback on a higher pedestal then Foo Fighters - and before you all start slamming me because everyone likes to act like it's sacriligous to dislike Dave Grohl because he's supposed to be 'the nicest guy in rock' (which is bs, there are a ton of super nice people in rock, including the guys in Nickelback), Nickelback got to where they are with A LOT of hard rock. They tarted in 1992 or something the same way a lot of bands did, playing covers and peppering in originals at paying gigs. They didn't actually put out a major label album until 1999. They toured their butts off consistently and even when they got big they always treated the bands they brought out as openings acts with respect and took good care of them.
As for DG and the Foo Fighters, they got big right from the start due to the nirvana attachment. People were buying their first album when it came out looking for clues and songs about kurt. People went to shows to see the drummer for nirvana. It just so happened that they had good songs too, but I highly doubt that they would have been AS BIG had they not had the nirvana allure and attachment to them.

Can't say I'm a huge fan of Dark Horse, but there are some great songs on it - If Today Was Your Last Day and I'd Come For You are great, well written songs.
And totally in aggreance, Daniel Adair's drums on Follow You Home...wow. The tones on that album are ridiculous too. That albums guitar sound is the absolute epitome of a PRS through a Mesa hard rock guitar sound.

Also any local or unsigned band that has bad to say about Nickelback, I only have two things to say -
1. Where's your diamond and platinum selling cd's?
2. When was that last sold-out arena tour you did again?
Yea. if so many people hated them, they wouldn't be filling those arena's.

I've never been a fan of Nickelback... in fact typing this is the most thought I've put into them in years, but your argument is lazy. If I apply that logic then you, or anyone else here, would only be able to have a handful of opinions at best. I often wonder why people seem to get worked up when others don't like (or even trash) something that they like. I'm not speaking of you, per se, but rather in general terms.

Is Nickelback popular? Obviously
Do I like Nickelback? Nope
Are both of these things okay? Absolutely

I've never been a fan of Nickelback... in fact typing this is the most thought I've put into them in years, but your argument is lazy. If I apply that logic then you, or anyone else here, would only be able to have a handful of opinions at best. I often wonder why people seem to get worked up when others don't like (or even trash) something that they like. I'm not speaking of you, per se, but rather in general terms.

Is Nickelback popular? Obviously
Do I like Nickelback? Nope
Are both of these things okay? Absolutely

It's fine, I always put more info :p
It only bugs the crap out of me when I see people hate bands for no good reasons. It's fine if you say I just don't like their songs, they don't do anything for me, whatever. But you hear a lot of garbage about 'repetitive,' (yea, so is AC/DC and most artists in general), or my favorite one, 'I used to like them but I heard them on the radio so much that I got sick of them.' Seriously? So a band that you yourself liked you just got annoyed with hearing all the time. If that's a way of thinking that people have god help every soul who wants to try to play for a living. I see people in their teens, early 20's who get surprised when a band they used to heavily beinto have more then 3 albums. 'wow, really, I didn't know they were still around after (their second album). Yes, just because you moved onto the next big thing doesn't mean everyone abandons listening to an artist.

Back