NickelBack

He made no apologies for being formulaic ....
Why should he, he's trying to write hits not symphonies.
Next we'll be dragging AC/DC out back for a beating because they've been pretty much using a formula for the last couple of decades.

I was having this discussion a week or so ago with a friend. I think every now and again kids need a band that it's cool to hate. I think of Nickelback as a later generations version of Winger.

Of course, I like a few Winger songs and Nickelback songs (this thread made me go back and crank up "Animals"), but I already know I'm not "cool" and I don't even try to be.

And "formulaic" as insult really doesn't work. If it were as simple as plugging some things into a formula, at least 90% of us here on the forum would just pop out a hit next time we ooooh and ahhhhh over some Private Stock.

The funny thing is nobody points at a blues guy doing a standard 12-bar, or a Jazz player a ii-V-I progression as using a formula, but they are.

He is married to Avril Lavigne (another simpleton) and they were on the Howard Stern Show once. They couldn't stop dropping plugs for this or for that.....it was really cheesy.
When you're a celebrity you get paid for such things. Avril is a lot of fun to look at, but I've never heard her talk, and I'd rather keep it that way. The Vandals have a song called "But then, she spoke" about being very attracted to a woman and going over to talk to her, and when she starts talking her personality is so repulsive that it ruins the attractive exterior.

NomadMike - I thought in the case of the blues, you weren't allowed to use any other chord progression or it wasn't the blues any more.

Early Nickleback = excellent heavy metal without the screaming.

I dig 'em. Dark Horse, All the Right Reasons and The Long Road are all worth repeated listens.

I've played drums for over 50 years and the beginning of Follow You Home still makes me sweat.

Can't say I'm a huge fan of Dark Horse, but there are some great songs on it - If Today Was Your Last Day and I'd Come For You are great, well written songs.
And totally in aggreance, Daniel Adair's drums on Follow You Home...wow. The tones on that album are ridiculous too. That albums guitar sound is the absolute epitome of a PRS through a Mesa hard rock guitar sound.

Also any local or unsigned band that has bad to say about Nickelback, I only have two things to say -
1. Where's your diamond and platinum selling cd's?
2. When was that last sold-out arena tour you did again?
Yea. if so many people hated them, they wouldn't be filling those arena's.

tumblr_m3ev37cD0D1qzgpzfo1_1280.png

I always thought Dave was cool. Being from the DC-area we crossed paths a bunch of times back in the day and he seemed like a good guy, and he's still friends with one of my best buds too. But, wow! what a dickish thing to say about fellow-artists when you are in the position he is. Not cool at all.

I always thought Dave was cool. Being from the DC-area we crossed paths a bunch of times back in the day and he seemed like a good guy, and he's still friends with one of my best buds too. But, wow! what a dickish thing to say about fellow-artists when you are in the position he is. Not cool at all.

If I were to guess, I'd say this is not the real Dave Grohl. It's probably one of the many fake accounts.

It was a fake account. There are very few actual rock bands that write their own songs proudly waving the flag and performing to large crowds. That's not something to be acting like a jerk about

I'm not a fan of the band at all but chad understands the business. He knows how to write a hit song to make money so that's what he does. He's a fan of various types of rock/metal but that's not where the money is, he's a business man and it seems to be working quite well for him.

The music business is exactly that, a business. I often listen to the pop radio station to try and understand the psychology behind it all. I never cringe and turn it off (with the exception of Maroon Five). I often refer to AC/DC as the greatest terrible band of all time. Taylor Swift doesn't even like her own music. The idustry is shallow, and is an art mainly in making money, but it doesn't seem like things were always that way. On the other hand, I find myself quite enjoying some of these tunes, so I go with it, all the while both understanding, and not caring about others disdain for such things.
-Music D@$k

The music business is exactly that, a business. I often listen to the pop radio station to try and understand the psychology behind it all. I never cringe and turn it off (with the exception of Maroon Five). I often refer to AC/DC as the greatest terrible band of all time. Taylor Swift doesn't even like her own music. The idustry is shallow, and is an art mainly in making money, but it doesn't seem like things were always that way. On the other hand, I find myself quite enjoying some of these tunes, so I go with it, all the while both understanding, and not caring about others disdain for such things.
-Music D@$k

You know what sucks about Maroon 5 is that as musicians, they are all pretty fantastic. They just put out kind of cringe worthy albums.

tumblr_m3ev37cD0D1qzgpzfo1_1280.png

Haha that's pretty funny, for me Nickelback are one of those bands that sound good when you're driving in your car with the windows down when its been a really hot day & its getting nearer sunset & then you pull out their CD, throw it out the fu**ing window & put on some Rage Against the Machine instead! :) Just kidding folks, I actually like both Nickleback & RATM! Remember that magical word: 'subjectivity' ! :)

Last edited:
OK, how about an OG's take on it. Bear in mind I became totally disinterested in rock after the death of the lead guitarist period, the post-Nirvana time. I used to be the lead guitar in most of the rock bands I was in back in the day (meat & potatoes rock ala AC/DC, etc) and used to do a Santana tribute show (20 tunes including a couple instrumentals) so with punks influence on things I turned away and focused on Jazz, Fusion, R&B, and songwriting.

All the rock I've heard since that time has been extremely boring to me due to the lack of improvisation, Nickelback like most of the successful rock acts put out seamless rhythm guitar based music that puts me to sleep, (Green Day is another), but like several others mentioned "it's a business" and these acts are extremely good at it(I've gotta respect that).

Although I can go on youtube and hear some incredible guitarists playing lead guitar solos that are mind-blowing on "guitar idol", go to abstract logix site to hear fusion guitar that will make you feel like a beginner, and go into a guitar center and see a 14 year old blowing Aerosmith licks,................ I just don't hear that much decent guitar work out there on the airwaves.

As for Dave of the Foo, I agree that the comment was probably a fake, pros don't usually disrespect other artists in the media, but I must admit........ ....I throw him in the same bag of rhythm guitar boredom.
I can't help it guys, I'm from the Van Halen/Ozzie/ACDC days.:adore: Forgive my rant.

Last edited:
I can't help it guys, I'm from the Van Halen/Ozzie/ACDC days.:adore: Forgive my rant.

There actually are leads in Nickelback songs, just not in many of the one's you hear that end up as radio singles. It's one thing to tastefully place a solo in song and it feels right, it's another for the song to take a backseat so the guitarist can play a solo

There actually are leads in Nickelback songs, just not in many of the one's you hear that end up as radio singles. It's one thing to tastefully place a solo in song and it feels right, it's another for the song to take a backseat so the guitarist can play a solo
Good point, and it shows the big difference between the times (now & back in the day), if that was the attitude musically back then Jimi, EVH, Carlos, SRV might not be remembered at all. It's a different time now and I even ask my younger friends about lead guitar & solos, they are not very interested in the aspect, it's something I've had to accept.

As for Nickelback, (my sister likes them and she's older than me), they're one of the most successful rock acts that reaches a lot of people, still puts me to sleep, but they DO have their own unique sound, that's half the battle right there.

Good point, and it shows the big difference between the times (now & back in the day), if that was the attitude musically back then Jimi, EVH, Carlos, SRV might not be remembered at all. It's a different time now and I even ask my younger friends about lead guitar & solos, they are not very interested in the aspect, it's something I've had to accept.

As for Nickelback, (my sister likes them and she's older than me), they're one of the most successful rock acts that reaches a lot of people, still puts me to sleep, but they DO have their own unique sound, that's half the battle right there.

Not that I'm against solo'ing, but even in my own bands songs if it doesn't work or seems too long it's just not staying. I'd rather have a great song that jerk off just because I can play. A good example is Alter Bridge's "Blackbird." That song was named a few years ago as having been voted as the best solo of all-time knocking out "Stairway to Heaven." Now I'll admit that Myles solo in the song is actually very well done, but then once Tremonti comes in it's all about flash and show. I like Tremonti but that extra solo really doesn't make the song better and the way the song drops out just so there can be this solo section is just like...why? EVH does some tasteful, well placed solo's, but they also fit the mood of the song, especially the DLR era stuff. Santana is different though, it's mainly jam based music and most of his solo
s sound the same anyways :p SRV is blues though with, again, a lot of feel. So comparing SRV and Santana to Nickelback kind of doesn't work because they weren't exactly 'song based' rock acts.

Back