NickelBack

IKnowALittle

Well, I was plumbing thru the depths of my ipod and came across a live version from 2007 of "Sharp Dressed Man" by Nickelback.
Now, I don't know anything about them except that they seem to attract universal scorn and criticism.
All I can say, is that IMHO, it was mighty sweet. Best version I've heard.
Although I couldn't get a really good look, it appeared that the lead guy was playing a PRS ... a green one at that. Regardless, sounded fabulous.

Also ran across Kris Kristofferson and Rita Coolidge doing a live version of "Help Me Make It Thru The Nite". Classic.

Last edited:
Indeed it rocked.
Just watched in on my HTC One Droid in my work rig plugged into the aux input, sounded great.

I like a few of their songs, but not a huge fan.

Chad was a PRS guy up until 2008 when Gibson offered him a signature model because PRS wouldn't, despite him using nothing but PRS since 1996. Listen to their songs that aren't singles, they're a very good band.

I like Nickelback. This last album was disappointing. Like it has been mentioned before Chad used to be a huge PRS guy until the other company offered him a sig model. He does still play a few of them live though.

I've never understood the extreme criticism of this band. It's as though they became fly paper for every hater out there.

I like the Nickelback that rocks. Usually the older angry Nickelback. I don't care for the bubblegum or drinkin'/partyin' category of songs. I did like the ZZ rendition mentioned in the OP.
I would be surprised if Chad didn't still play a lot of PRS guitars despite that one cute little Gibby signature model.

If I could write even half the number of hit songs that NickelBack did, I'd take the scorn that came with it.

There are a lot of albums and artists that I like which I didn't know I wasn't supposed to like them.

There are a lot of albums and artists that I like which I didn't know I wasn't supposed to like them.

There are a lot of artists I'm "supposed" to like and don't, as well. (I'm looking at you Bobby Plant :box: ).

Personally I love Nickelback (rarely admit it though). The only album I'm not too sure about is the newest one (No Fixed Address). I think the Dark Horse is probably my favourite, some proper Rock 'n' Roll Tunes on that. My mate saw them live fairly recently and said that Chad still used a PRS for a few tracks during the show.

Someone once posted (not here)... "Nickelback sucks! They only play 6 chords!"

I kinda replied... I call that pretty successful, imagine what they could do if they used more!

I'm not a fanboy, but I'm sure no hater of them.

They aren't as easy to cover as you might think. Not hard to play, but it needs to be very tight to sound right. Also, the vocal harmonies are non-obvious. I typically have no trouble at all in nailing harmonies, but find myself getting lost on occasion with some of theirs.

The vitriol makes no sense to me either. I kind of like them also, and from my point of view, they represent a REAL ROCK BAND that actually sold lots of records in the 2000's/2010's. For that alone they should get the love.

Edit: just watched the vid. They were awesome

Last edited:
Early Nickleback = excellent heavy metal without the screaming.

I dig 'em. Dark Horse, All the Right Reasons and The Long Road are all worth repeated listens.

I've played drums for over 50 years and the beginning of Follow You Home still makes me sweat.

Great thread....

Being from the Great White North, there is a particular love/hate thing that happens with Nickelback....

It's always "They suck...but they're Canadian, eh?"

They are hugely successful....I don't begrudge them that....but I do recall listening to Chad being interviewed once on Sirius. The interviewer asked him very matter-of-factly about his "simple" lyrics.

His reply was...he kinda approaches them with a "focus group". He writes...and picks the ones he gets the best response from.

He made no apologies for being formulaic ....

And that's what turned me off. Basically....a modern day Gene Simmons approaching music as a commodity.

Chad...at least attempt to create the illusion that it's about some kind of art. LOL

He is married to Avril Lavigne (another simpleton) and they were on the Howard Stern Show once. They couldn't stop dropping plugs for this or for that.....it was really cheesy.

Just my 2 cents....

my mother always says, "if you dont have anything good to say, dont say anything at all". so i'm not going to say anything at all !

my mother always says, "if you dont have anything good to say, dont say anything at all". so i'm not going to say anything at all !

Same here... Oh wait, I've said something anyways. I'll just leave this here because I'm one of the haters as well as a Nintendo guy at heart even though I game on a Playstation. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
tumblr_m3ev37cD0D1qzgpzfo1_1280.png

Back