NGD to go with my Archon

Yup, the tremonti is not weight relieved. The bridge pickup of that guitar mixed with an archon is an amazing combo though! Anxious to hear your thoughts on the guitar!

Yup, the tremonti is not weight relieved. The bridge pickup of that guitar mixed with an archon is an amazing combo though! Anxious to hear your thoughts on the guitar!

I changed the strings yesterday and set it up a little, though it will go into the shop this weekend for the real TLC.

I got to play for a few minutes last night (a lot of my days are THAT busy) and it was kickass. The bridge pup is tight and live and harmonics jump out. It really pushes the amp. It dials back OK, but the volume controls are pretty steep, so it's easy to overshoot. I can't wait to really crank it up.

The neck pup is MUCH lower output than the bridge, so it can be a shock when switching. It is nice to be able to get a lighter bluesy tone, but going for a neck lead from heavy bridge rhythm it drops off noticeably. Interesting combination. It sounds really good with the selector in the middle. I would say this is set up as a vintage guitar EXCEPT bridge only where it goes to 11.

The guitar body feels comfortable like my SC245, but it is heavy, and it does not play at all like the 245. Part is that the action is way too high, but the longer scale is also probably part of it. Though it feels stiffer than my 25.5" guitars too.

The trem is not my favorite, I am partial to Ibanez edge trems. But it stayed in tune surprisingly well. I am likely to have it blocked as I need to change tuning on the fly in my band. I may go for down-only and use it a little.

Just playing around today with the Tremonti, and it turns out it has push-pull tone pots. Don't know what they do, as I don't have my amp with me. Huh...

Just playing around today with the Tremonti, and it turns out it has push-pull tone pots. Don't know what they do, as I don't have my amp with me. Huh...

Turns out the inside of the control cavity is a mess. The switches are not currently connected. Clearly someone tried coil splitting and whatnot. It will take me some time to clean it up, but no biggie, It's not my first time with the iron.

Now I have to pull the pups to see if they are even the right ones.

I believe that the tremonti bridge if capable of a coil tap but the neck isn't...I myself don't use the trems on these guitars and may pick up some tremol-nos for them, as I am wanting to play around with alternate tunings. Keep me posted on your findings and post some pics of the cavity if you can!

I'm thinking about the Tremol-no as well. I will ask the luthier's advice about it.

Incidentally, the plot thickens. PRS support got back to me (love that guy, Matt is the BEST) and they have a record of the guitar going in to the tech center to get the switch pots and a pickup swap. The "mess" is not their work, it's the work that was done to UNDO the work done by PRS. Some sloppy cuts and resoldering to bring the wiring back to stock.

That makes it nicer, as the pots are likely correct values and tapers, and having switching pots won't hurt me a bit - I can use them or not. From the outside the guitar looks stock except for black pickup rings, which I prefer to the cream.

So now I need to figure out what pups are in there. Looks like one stock (based on the shielded wire) and one not, I'm thinking they added a 4-wire neck pup. But I didn't take more than a few seconds to check it out. Tonight I will have time to open it all up and see what the heck I have in there.

I had already been considering swapping the bridge just to get the square-bobbin look, which I like. If the neck is not stock, I'll get one of those as well. If they're actually stock, I'll likely leave them for now.

Back