NGD - The joys of live gigs and a expected gift

Fullmoon 1971

Werewolf, there wolf, there castle
Okay so I had a gig on friday night with my band and decided the guitars for the show were gonna be the 3 Bernie's. All last week I had a odd feeling about the gig but couldn't put my finger on why (it's a venue were we have a regular monthly spot and have done for the last 15 years) so I knew it hasn't nerves.

The night arrives and while warming up in dressing room I procede to snap strings on two of the 3 Bernies not once but twice (fresh sets put on earlier in the day and fully strenched in, B string on "Carmelita" and G on "Trouble") leaving me with the Bernie/McCarty for just the first set of the night (we usually do 2x90 minute sets with a 30 min break in the middle) while I waited on a friend to bring me a couple of more sets. We fly through the first set without a hitch and take our break back in the dressing room. During the break we here commotion out by the stage (new faces inand they were getting rowdy). We head back on stage for the second set and it completely soaked in beer. the staff have done their best to clean the stage but its still sticky and slippy and the same time, es[pecially where my mic stand is, we start the show and everything's great - we just can't as energetic as usual, about a 3rd of the way through the set it's time for my intro for "White Lightning" by Def Leppard - a tribute to all the fallen rockstars. Suddenly my foot goes from under me and I end sliding off the stage and cracking my spine just below my ribs and actually passout for about a minute or so(I had a major bike accident when I was in my 20's that put me in hospital for just over 7 months) I still have to be careful of knocks to my back, I'm helped into the back while the band carry on regardless. I'm determined to retake the stage and after 20 mins and a handful of painkillers I make my way back on stage only to find that I'm unable to stand with my guitar on, the owner quickly brings out a stool for me to sit on and we carry on, we change the set around on the fly, to ease the pressure on me. After the gig I go to the emergency room where I find I've give my spine one hell knock and cracked 4 ribs on the left hand side and 3 on the right.

If your still reading this you might be asking whats this got to do with a NGD. Well the clubs owner knew that we have a heavy tour coming up over the next 6 weeks that we can't afford to lose money on and that I just can't play my usual guitars for the duration so the following day he comes over to my house with a gift that should make the gig's a little easier, a 2009 SE Singlecut trem that he'd seen in the Cash Convertors opposite the venue which he said is compensation for me getting injured. It's really light and resonant so I will be using it along side my Zach Myers for the duration of the tour. I'd already modded it before I thought about a NGD

52223905422_a4309d27e3_o.jpg
N

Last edited:
Yeah Doc is really special friend, we've know each other for 37 years since meeting in high school, he's also my brother in law , it was his and my sisters 25th anniversary last week that's what the gig was for (a freebie -so I knackered my back and didn't even get paid for it)

His real name is Phil Holiday and when we were in High school he tried to grow a bread but just ended up with a weird looking bushy moustache hence the nickname "Doc". Him And my sister only took over the club recently, it had closed during covid. They have run pubs before that had live acts but never on this scale.

The band has always done gigs at this çlub from our first gigs in 1988 through to my bike accident and us disbanding in 1995.

We reformed in 2006 after me spending years re-learning to do most things in life included re-learning to play right handed (I was born a lefty)
through it all Phil was always there when I needed him and well out of the way when I didn't.

Last edited:
Yeah Doc is really special friend, we've know each other for 37 years since meeting in high school, he's also my brother in law , it was his and my sisters 25th anniversary last week that's what the gig was for (a freebie -so I knackered my back and didn't even get paid for it)

His real name is Phil Holiday and when we were in High school he tried to grow a bread but just ended up with a weird looking bushy moustache hence the nickname "Doc". Him And my sister only took over the club recently, it had closed during covid. They have run pubs before that had live acts but never on this scale.

The band has always done gigs at this çlub from our first gigs in 1988 through to my bike accident and us disbanding in 1995.

We reformed in 2006 after me spending years re-learning to do most things in life included re-learning to play right handed (I was born a lefty)
through it all Phil was always there when I needed him and we'll out of the way when I didn't.
Funny op I'm a lefty as well but learned right ftom day 1...great decision I believe....been playing right for almost 35 years...on and off of course lol

Wow.
Could have been much worse.
That’s a lot of cracked ribs. I feel ya. Been there on ribs. Yeesh.
Yeah it could of been so much worse, a slightly different angle and it would of been my neck. It only hurts when I
Laugh
Talk
Move
Sit
Lie down
Swallow
Breath
Pretty much anything now I think about it.
On top of the breathing it's super hot here in the UK at the moment.its 2am and it's 22 degrees c and most of yesterday it was around 30 degrees and humid, so hard to catch your breath anyway

I'm of viking / Shetland Isles heritage and as @Alnus Rubra will confirm us far northerners don't do well in conditions like these.

Yeah it could of been so much worse, a slightly different angle and it would of been my neck. It only hurts when I
Laugh
Talk
Move
Sit
Lie down
Swallow
Breath
Pretty much anything now I think about it.
On top of the breathing it's super hot here in the UK at the moment.its 2am and it's 22 degrees c and most of yesterday it was around 30 degrees and humid, so hard to catch your breath anyway

I'm of viking / Shetland Isles heritage and as @Alnus Rubra will confirm us far northerners don't do well in conditions like these.

John, so sorry to hear about your accident. Hope you recover safely and quickly.

As others have said, your behaviour on the night was very professional.

Congrats on the beautiful new guitar. And best of luck on the tour.

Dundee has been like the “devils armpit” the last two days! And yes I’m not built for this heat.

Back