NGD Strandberg Boden Original 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jazzedout

More Guitars than Time...
So, while trying to downsize I bought a new guitar... o_O:D

DHpWdid.jpeg

Meet my Strandberg Boden Original 6 string. It has a really nice flame top and a flamey ash back!!

RemfuuI.jpeg

To complete the wood specs, it comes with a roasted maple neck and a birds-eye maple fretboard with SS frets.
5jtrIwC.jpeg

ocMG43L.jpeg

Yes the neck shape is unlike any other guitar.
In the few hours I have this it feels less strange than I thought it would...
First impressions?
Wow this is, by far, the lightest guitar I have ever played!!!
The Suhr SSH+ and SSV pickups just sing!!
Looks very well built, fret work looks nice.
The stain finish feels nice...

Anyone else played one of these?

I have one as well, same guitar you posted. It's a great guitar and super light weight. The thing I hate about it is restringing it with the nut lock downs and the way the bridge works. It works, but it's a different process. The only other thing I don't like is is the floating bridge. Many guitars have it and it's just not my thing is all. I am going to make mine lockout so it can only be lowered. Running through the tuners is a pain when the springs aren't set just right. I need to set it up proper and I think I will really have a better outlook. Not complaining because it's a good guitar.

Mine is a hardtail so it should be as easy as: put the string through, lock it and tune it.
I guess restringing a trem is a similar process as a floyd rose. I've done this for years...
Only remark about the tuners is that they are so close together, that I am worried I would detune the next tuner while tuning the adjacent one (if that makes any sense). Could be part of the learning curve...

Mine is a hardtail so it should be as easy as: put the string through, lock it and tune it.
I guess restringing a trem is a similar process as a floyd rose. I've done this for years...
Only remark about the tuners is that they are so close together, that I am worried I would detune the next tuner while tuning the adjacent one (if that makes any sense). Could be part of the learning curve...
I just noticed yours was and was not paying attention. Sorry! They are similar somewhat to other trems but different too, more of a pain on the both ends and slower to restring. On the nut end one has to be careful to not get overzealous as to not spin the blocks. Its like one wood screw under each Allen screw block, anchoring each one into the wood and they aren't that hard to over tighten and get the block loose. A person doesn't want to start loosening that screws good staying power in the wood. On the bridge what is different is you are anchored at the end of the neck and you are taking up all the tension through the barrel nut, instead of most of it up with a tuner like on a Floyd. Then locking it down and fine tuning. Then with the floating trem its a pain. At least for me :) My PRS Artist with the factory Floyd is twice as fast when I timed them. Everyones results of course will vary

Last edited:
I have a strandberg, and while the concept is a winner, the execution just can't touch a core PRS or even a CE.

I hope you got a good one. I had to send mine back for a new neck and then spend hundreds even after I got it back just fixing the finish and getting the frets nice. The pickups are still set wonky and I ended up replacing some of the electronics with parts from PRS just to make it usable.

I have a strandberg, and while the concept is a winner, the execution just can't touch a core PRS or even a CE.

I hope you got a good one. I had to send mine back for a new neck and then spend hundreds even after I got it back just fixing the finish and getting the frets nice. The pickups are still set wonky and I ended up replacing some of the electronics with parts from PRS just to make it usable.
Mine is very good. No buzz anywhere, sounds killer and it plays like a dream. But, I agree with you. Its a neat idea but I would take my PRS any day. The tremolo is a pain and it seems weak around the pickup jack. Where I loved it was a lap guitar sitting down or taking to lessons because it was small and light. I was thinking of trading it or selling it though for another PRS or something.

So far mine seems to be very good. Fretwork is nice and there is even a slight bevel on the top edge of the fretboard at a similar angle as the back of the neck that feels great. I will take some detailed pics in the weekend.
My previous guitar with ss frets was a Carvin DC400 with an ebony board and did not like the feel. This feels very nice. It is loud and clear unplugged and electronics work as they should. I will also pop the hood to see the wiring and take pics.
The jack placement idea is cool, something like the Ibanez Jem or JS but I would guess if you used an angled jack and the cable would get tangled, that small piece of wood on the outside would break.

I've been wanting one of these for a while, the wonky things you've indicated are a turn off. Thanks for the review! I'll stick with my Steinberger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back