NGD* PTC Makeover

Kine

Large Member
So I got my McCarty back from the PTC yesterday and all I can say is that I'm completely floored. It is indeed a new guitar: DGT refret, Black Gold Wrap refinish and Rosewood Treatment of Extreme Awesomeness!

It was pretty difficult to capture the nuances of the new stain properly with the camera. I know this type of character in the wood isn't for everyone, but I absolutely love it! Also the finish is satin.

Just wanted to thank Shawn and the PTC for their hard work! Everything is of outstanding workmanship and quality.

Here's what she looked like before

Last edited:
Killer! I love the character of the top, and it's my favorite PRS color.

Aren't the setups to die for?

Superego: Why are there two references to death in one little pair of sentences. Anyone?

Ego: Ask the id. He's always screwing up.

Id: Must be because I just watched the death metal chef guy again. 'The boss' has me on the brain.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! The refret is just unreal. So tight feeling and smooth on the edges. With the setup it's playing unbelievably well. Better than ever!

I'm really blown away by how the top came out. I love the unusual random stuff going on! There are flames, dark storms, and other cool imperfections that I'm really diggin. The satin finish is epic! I really would love all my guitars in this finish.

The rosewood treatment is indeed AWESOME! I've been playing my new DGT now for the time that this one was at the PTC. I have to say I love the neck on the DGT but I love rosewood much more as compared to the V12 finish. It is also much smoother and better feeling than before. I'm glad I decided on it!

Last edited:
Looks killer man!!!

Can you expand on the Rosewood Treatment of Awesomeness? How does it compare to the feel before?

Again, congrats!!! You're guitar looks truly awesome..

Do the rosewood necks not ship from the factory with awesomeness originally or is that purely a PTC upgrade? If so...weird. Or is it just a new thing that they weren't doing to previous guitars?

Is the "Rosewood Treatment of Awesomeness" a completely new neck or did you already have a rosewood neck and they simply stripped the finish off?

Regarding the Rosewood Treatment of Extreme Awesomeness:

It is the same rosewood neck as before but has been treated in some mysterious way by the PTC. It feels much slicker than before. It is also darker so I'm thinking some type of oil was used and maybe some very fine sanding or filling?

Moving around is virtually effortless with zero drag. I couldn't believe the difference as compared to my V12 finish. Night and day! The V12 is definitely stickier.

I do believe all newer rosewood is already treated this way, but I'm not sure... This guitar is an '05 and before it was still smooth but you could feel slight unfinished wood as you moved. Not now. It's indeed extremely awesome!

Last edited:
yesssss, New Old Guitar Day threads are the best - especially when PTC knocks it out of the park!

Back