NGD! Paul's Guitar is now MINE!

markintime

Wood Grain Devotee
After weeks of watching and hoping that it wouldn't disappear to another buyer right before my eyes, I finally managed to score this beauty.

DSC_0017_zpsd771e576.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The specs:

• 2013 PRS Paul's Guitar Standard MSL Limited Run
  • McCarty Tobacco Sunburst
  • Mahogany Body
  • Mahogany Top
  • East Indian Rosewood Neck
  • Pattern Neck Profile
  • Brazilian Rosewood Fretboard
  • Brazilian Rosewood Headstock Veneer
  • Brushstroke Bird Inlays
  • PRS Narrow 408 Pickups
  • PRS Stoptail Bridge with Brass Inserts
  • 3 Way Toggle Switch
  • Mini Toggle Coil Tap for Each Pickup
  • PRS Phase III Low Mass Locking Tuners
  • Hybrid Hardware
  • 22 Frets
  • Scale Length 25"
  • Weight 7.70 lbs
  • PRS Deluxe Paisley Hard Shell Case w/ Candy
  • Serial # 13 205862

Plugged her in as quick as I could get her out of the case. So different from my SE CU 24, but WOW! what a sound! And what an adventure it's gonna be finding out how it's gonna sound on the Studio Pro. This thing rocks 'way beyond my meager abilities. I have a long way to go to live up to the potential of this one.

The neck feels so fine, even though I can definitely tell considerable difference from the wide thin of my SE. But, even unplugged, I can strum it and just feel the sound in the wood.

I know, I know. It is not a maple top. But that mahogany top spoke to me like no other mahogany top I've seen. And take a looky here at the back!

DSC_0020_zps558cb776.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Mwahahahahahaha! :tongue: I am simply beside myself! Can't stop gloating. This is the nicest ever. Even though I know what I said in another thread about the Brushstroke birds, I will have no problem whatsoever with them growing on me. <sheepish>Amazing what you can get used to.</sheepish - over>

'Scuse, gotta go plaaaaaay now!

Last edited:
Really beautiful guitar. I had similar feeling about those brushstroke birds...all reservations faded immediately once I played one of these, great guitars. Enjoy!!

Thanks for all the wonderful comments, guys. Y'all have inspired me as I have lurked in these forums for these many months. I have gained so much insight from you all that helped me tremendously on deciding on this particular instrument.

Regarding the tone. While I have not truly had much time to fully explore its nuances, I can say that it can be quite warm in humbucking with a little roll off on the tone control. A lot of roll off gives you a very muted tone, like talking with a mouthful. Also true with the single coil flip. In fact, in single coil on the bridge pup I do not get the "in your face" quack sound, but at the same time it is distinctive enough. Also, I am basing it on the sound from my little Ibanez 15 watter. That was all I had time for this morning, and should not have picked it up because it made me late for work. :redface: Couldn't help myself!!! But I know it will rise and shine on my Studio Pro. I know this, however. There is absolutely no drop off whatsoever in switching from hum to single. None. On my SE I set volume at 8, switch to single and roll up to 10. The change in tone is more pronounced on the SE, perhaps, but I like the subtlety of the PG.

I think I did find something misleading in the booklet that came with it. Where it describes the mini toggles, in the diagram it shows the mini toggle in the "forward" position as controlling the treble pup. That felt backwards from what I was expecting. So, in part, that was also the reason for my coming in late for work (that's my story and I'm sticking to it!). It's actually the other way around, just as you would expect if you hadn't read the manual. Did any of you PG owners find the same thing?

Oh yeah, I apologize for the pics. At night bedroom light just doesn't work too well. I throw up some better ones a little later.

Lord!!!! I can't wait to get off work. And it's Friday! Going to browse PSF now (don't tell anyone). :cheers:

So, better pictures from outside, no sun, rainy day. A good day here in the Southland.

DSC_0021_zps7a880314.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Headshot:

DSC_0024_zpsa8263bca.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back of head and rosewood neck:

DSC_0026_zps8a4f9e11.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Finally, I love these knobs! They feel Great!

DSC_0025_zps6210b62b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Snuck off on my lunch break. Played some, too, through the Studio Pro. Holy cow, this think has some real Presence! And, oh yes, it can spank given the right motivation. I believe the 65 watts through the 12" could blow out my windows if I closed them.:laugh:

Gorgeous! And to echo Les's comment, PRS generates some kind of magic on hog guitars w/RW necks. It's a fabulous combination.

Congrats!

Thank you all some more! It just hit me a little while ago. I think I am gonna name her ... "Rosie". Much better than something like "Hogback" (never happen).

Thank you all some more! It just hit me a little while ago. I think I am gonna name her ... "Rosie". Much better than something like "Hogback" (never happen).

What - was Hoggy Guitarmichael taken?

Back