NGD: My first PRS

guitarzerosteve

Here is my first PRS. I've been on the hunt for one of these for over a year now, this one happened to fall into my lap last Friday. It was listed as a Custom 22 McCarty, so I don't really know if it is a McCarty or if it's a Custom 22 with McCarty Sunburst finish????? It has a push/pull tone pot and I'm not sure what that is supposed to do. Thinking it may be a coil splitter for the bridge pup????
S/N dates it at 1995.

The important part is it plays and sounds awesome. I do a lot of practicing unplugged so it is critical for me an electric sounds great unplugged. This one has beautiful clear acoustic tones and sustain is great. Plugged in it simply rocks. So much control of break-up with a twist of the volume knob. Even though I've only had this a few days, it's easy to see why these guitars are so popular. This one is a keeper for sure.

normal_prs1.jpg

normal_prs3.jpg

normal_prs2.jpg

Thanks for all the replies. Forgive my ignorance, but if I understand correctly, with the tone pot pulled out it makes both pups single coils???? I've never had a guitar with that feature so it's all new to me.

Thanks for all the replies. Forgive my ignorance, but if I understand correctly, with the tone pot pulled out it makes both pups single coils???? I've never had a guitar with that feature so it's all new to me.
Yes, in a nutshell. You'll probably hear a slight volume drop and less fullness/bass in your sound. If playing with a good amount of gain, you'll likely hear a little bit of hum that one would normally associate with single coils(though maybe not quite as much).

Since I was doing a string change, I decided to pull the pickups and snap a few pics. McCarty Bass pup in the neck and McCarty Treble pup in the bridge.

normal_Custom22_12.jpg

normal_Custom22_9.jpg

normal_Custom22_13.jpg

Back