NGD McCarty PF-09 and some questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by slev, Feb 14, 2016.

1. slev

slev New Member

Just picked up this excellent McCarty PF-09 in a trade and I am amazed by the tone. I've had other McCartys, DGTs, and 5708 equipped PRSi but this is hands down the closest thing to "the tone in my head" that I have played.

This one came w/o the hang tag and the deal was not with the original owner so I only know that it was originally purchased at the 2009 Experience. It's been hard to find much more info on these so I'm curious to hear from any one out there with anything to offer. How many in this run? How different from or similar to the smokeburst and Dallas shootout versions? Whatever you've got would be of interest to me.

BTW, I can't put this one down!

Some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

grausch, Kazz and Screamingdaisy like this.
  2. toothace

toothace Zombie Thirteen, DFZ

Can't help you with any info but congrats...that's a beauty!

3. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

Me either, but she's a hottie?

4. rugerpc

rugerpc A♥ hoards guitars ♥A Soldier 25, DFZ

I've never heard of this specification before, but there are lots of things I've never heard of...

I found this, but cannot vouch for its accuracy:

This guitar is part of a rare, limited-run series in 2009. It features the lust-worthy, gorgeous PF-09 finish, consisting of hand-rubbed nitrocellulose satin lacquer, buffed to a semi-glossy sheen. It is absolutely breathtaking in person, and though we've tried, pictures do not do this guitar justice. The satin-finished neck mahogany neck is incredibly fast-playing, and has a comfortable "wide-fat" profile that brings to mind certain great mahogany-bodied sunburst guitars of the vintage era. This is a truly special guitar; don't miss the opportunity to own this perfect example at a great price.

Features:

Finish: Nitro-Cellulose
    Back Wood: Mahogany
    Top Wood: Maple
    Number of Frets: 22
    Scale Length: 25"
    Neck Wood: Mahogany
    Fretboard: Wood Rosewood
    Neck Shape: Wide Fat
    Inlays: Birds
    Headstock: Santana
    Bridge: Stoptail
    Tuners: Vintage-Style Tuners
    Hardware Type: Nickel
    Truss Rod Cover: McCarty Logo
    Treble Pickup: 57/08
    Bass Pickup: 57/08
    Pickup Switching: Volume and push/pull tone control with 3-way toggle pickup selector
    Hardshell Case Included

In another location I found a reference that "PF-09" refers to 'Paul's finish 2009'

5. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

Looks like it'll be an awesome guitar!

6. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc Too Funky

7. slev

slev New Member

That's it minus the Santana head stock and push/pull coil split. Interesting, may be more of an oddball than I thought. The satin nitro finish is very cool I must say.

8. prsrocker1988

prsrocker1988 New Member

9. TFC

TFC That guitar really tied the room together

Sweet! Congrats!

Coincidentally, I just picked up a PF-09 SC245 locally a few weeks ago (see thread here). I was curious like you and did some research. I don't know how accurate this info is, but I read that there were about 80 guitars (McCarty, SC245 and Custom 22) total produced with that finish for Experience 2009.

Funny you mentioned about the "sound in your head". I had heard so much about the 57/08s that I expected the same with mine, but it wasn't quite there. I put in some Duncans and now I've got that sound. Couldn't be happier with mine. Like you said, it's a tough one to put down.

Here's a photo I found from the 2009 Experience (notice the wood in the background). That's not my specific SC245, but maybe that's your McCarty?

[​IMG]

grausch likes this.
  10. TFC

TFC That guitar really tied the room together

I should add that my hang tag has the model listed as "Sunburst245" and it has a date of 10-13-2009. My MODCAT uses "XR" for the color, which is not one we have in the MODCAT decoder. The model is "S4" (Sunburst 245). Someone else reported a Custom 22 from the same run as having "SU". What is the MODCAT for your guitar?

11. Korina Jack

Korina Jack New Member

The PF means Paul's Finish. Which is a very thin nitrocellulose finish. Not a lot of those made, Nice score for you! Enjoy!

12. vchizzle

vchizzle Zomb!e Nine, DFZ

Nice! I love the PF finish. Careful with leaving it in an overly humidified room. There was one a store by me and I've played it a few times and loved the feel, then I went in one day and it felt really humid in the room and neck felt really sticky. Doubt it would be an issue in any normal conditions, someone must've cranked the humidifier all the way up - it felt like a steam room.

13. slev

slev New Member

Thanks for all the info guys. Knew I'd get some good feedback here.

I'll check next string change. I'm curious now.

TFC likes this.
  14. xjbebop

xjbebop Yippy ki yay...

PRS Customer service would be glad to answer your questions....

Nice guitar!