NGD McCarty PF-09 and some questions

slev

Just picked up this excellent McCarty PF-09 in a trade and I am amazed by the tone. I've had other McCartys, DGTs, and 5708 equipped PRSi but this is hands down the closest thing to "the tone in my head" that I have played.

This one came w/o the hang tag and the deal was not with the original owner so I only know that it was originally purchased at the 2009 Experience. It's been hard to find much more info on these so I'm curious to hear from any one out there with anything to offer. How many in this run? How different from or similar to the smokeburst and Dallas shootout versions? Whatever you've got would be of interest to me.

BTW, I can't put this one down!

Some pics:

image.jpg1_zpsikhw8slj.jpg

image.jpg1_zpsus6oa6hx.jpg

image.jpg1_zpsvqhazxtd.jpg

I've never heard of this specification before, but there are lots of things I've never heard of...

I found this, but cannot vouch for its accuracy:

This guitar is part of a rare, limited-run series in 2009. It features the lust-worthy, gorgeous PF-09 finish, consisting of hand-rubbed nitrocellulose satin lacquer, buffed to a semi-glossy sheen. It is absolutely breathtaking in person, and though we've tried, pictures do not do this guitar justice. The satin-finished neck mahogany neck is incredibly fast-playing, and has a comfortable "wide-fat" profile that brings to mind certain great mahogany-bodied sunburst guitars of the vintage era. This is a truly special guitar; don't miss the opportunity to own this perfect example at a great price.

Features:

Finish: Nitro-Cellulose
Back Wood: Mahogany
Top Wood: Maple
Number of Frets: 22
Scale Length: 25"
Neck Wood: Mahogany
Fretboard: Wood Rosewood
Neck Shape: Wide Fat
Inlays: Birds
Headstock: Santana
Bridge: Stoptail
Tuners: Vintage-Style Tuners
Hardware Type: Nickel
Truss Rod Cover: McCarty Logo
Treble Pickup: 57/08
Bass Pickup: 57/08
Pickup Switching: Volume and push/pull tone control with 3-way toggle pickup selector
Hardshell Case Included

In another location I found a reference that "PF-09" refers to 'Paul's finish 2009'

I've never heard of this specification before, but there are lots of things I've never heard of...

I found this, but cannot vouch for its accuracy:

This guitar is part of a rare, limited-run series in 2009. It features the lust-worthy, gorgeous PF-09 finish, consisting of hand-rubbed nitrocellulose satin lacquer, buffed to a semi-glossy sheen. It is absolutely breathtaking in person, and though we've tried, pictures do not do this guitar justice. The satin-finished neck mahogany neck is incredibly fast-playing, and has a comfortable "wide-fat" profile that brings to mind certain great mahogany-bodied sunburst guitars of the vintage era. This is a truly special guitar; don't miss the opportunity to own this perfect example at a great price.

Features:

Finish: Nitro-Cellulose
Back Wood: Mahogany
Top Wood: Maple
Number of Frets: 22
Scale Length: 25"
Neck Wood: Mahogany
Fretboard: Wood Rosewood
Neck Shape: Wide Fat
Inlays: Birds
Headstock: Santana
Bridge: Stoptail
Tuners: Vintage-Style Tuners
Hardware Type: Nickel
Truss Rod Cover: McCarty Logo
Treble Pickup: 57/08
Bass Pickup: 57/08
Pickup Switching: Volume and push/pull tone control with 3-way toggle pickup selector
Hardshell Case Included

In another location I found a reference that "PF-09" refers to 'Paul's finish 2009'

That's it minus the Santana head stock and push/pull coil split. Interesting, may be more of an oddball than I thought. The satin nitro finish is very cool I must say.

Sweet! Congrats!

Coincidentally, I just picked up a PF-09 SC245 locally a few weeks ago (see thread here). I was curious like you and did some research. I don't know how accurate this info is, but I read that there were about 80 guitars (McCarty, SC245 and Custom 22) total produced with that finish for Experience 2009.

Funny you mentioned about the "sound in your head". I had heard so much about the 57/08s that I expected the same with mine, but it wasn't quite there. I put in some Duncans and now I've got that sound. Couldn't be happier with mine. Like you said, it's a tough one to put down.

Here's a photo I found from the 2009 Experience (notice the wood in the background). That's not my specific SC245, but maybe that's your McCarty?

CIMG0853.JPG

I should add that my hang tag has the model listed as "Sunburst245" and it has a date of 10-13-2009. My MODCAT uses "XR" for the color, which is not one we have in the MODCAT decoder. The model is "S4" (Sunburst 245). Someone else reported a Custom 22 from the same run as having "SU". What is the MODCAT for your guitar?

Nice! I love the PF finish. Careful with leaving it in an overly humidified room. There was one a store by me and I've played it a few times and loved the feel, then I went in one day and it felt really humid in the room and neck felt really sticky. Doubt it would be an issue in any normal conditions, someone must've cranked the humidifier all the way up - it felt like a steam room.

Thanks for all the info guys. Knew I'd get some good feedback here.

I should add that my hang tag has the model listed as "Sunburst245" and it has a date of 10-13-2009. My MODCAT uses "XR" for the color, which is not one we have in the MODCAT decoder. The model is "S4" (Sunburst 245). Someone else reported a Custom 22 from the same run as having "SU". What is the MODCAT for your guitar?

I'll check next string change. I'm curious now.

Reactions: TFC
Back