NGD, Hollowbody II via Escrow Service

RC Mike

I had a 2008 Hollowbody II delivered on Thursday. It's about as plain-jane as a HBII can get--no piezo and a basic top and back. I hadn't been looking for a Hollowbody. What caught my eye was the date on the hangtag in the ad. This guitar was finished on the day I met my wife! How cool is that? I've not been one to seek out guitars built on a certain date. PRS got going long after I was born, my wedding was on a Saturday, and my son was born during the pandemic shut down--not gonna find a lot of coincidence there. But I'd wanted to get a Hollowbody at some point and the little woman was on board for it.

How the deal got done might be useful/interesting to some. We used escrow.com. The seller wasn't comfortable with shipping the guitar or doing something other than face to face for a transaction, but he's half a continent away from me. He wasn't comfortable with any of the modern forms of electronic payment. The only way he'd do it was with a wire transfer. I wasn't ok with wiring the money directly to him.

I did a little search for escrow services, and found escrow.com. It's super slick and not very expensive. I paid the escrow fees, which came to $87. The wire transfer to the escrow service cost me $20. That's about the same as PayPal's transaction fees. The way it works is that buyer and seller create accounts and set the terms of the deal. I wired the money to escrow.com. Once they receive it, the seller ships the item. When it arrived, I had a mutually agreed upon inspection period. The guitar is exactly what I expected. If it hadn't been, I'd have had the option to ship it back to the seller. I'd have been out the shipping costs and escrow fees. Once I accepted the guitar, they released the money to the seller.

I've rarely seen mention of anyone using an escrow service anymore, but this one seemed cost-effective and reasonable in how it works. I thought that it would be worth sharing, just in case anyone else finds themselves in a similar situation. I'll use escrow.com again, if the circumstances line up right.

As for the guitar--it's awesome! I spent Friday night getting it cleaned up, a setup, and playing it for an hour or so. It's so nice when a guitar is exactly as described and in great shape. It's barely seen any use, having been owned by a collector and then by the fellow I bought it from. He's a bass player, and doesn't seem to have played the guitar much. It's such a beautiful build and finish, with a great feel to it. The frets seem smaller than most of my other PRSs, and one of these days I'll measure and compare them. I'm just enjoying playing it for now.

JnWSEmK.jpg

MacSfsn.jpg

ZLHbDnw.jpg

Last edited:
I had a 2008 Hollowbody II delivered on Thursday. It's about as plain-jane as a HBII can get--no piezo and a basic top and back. I hadn't been looking for a Hollowbody. What caught my eye was the date on the hangtag in the ad. This guitar was finished on the day I met my wife! How cool is that? I've not been one to seek out guitars built on a certain date. PRS got going long after I was born, my wedding was on a Saturday, and my son was born during the pandemic shut down--not gonna find a lot of coincidence there. But I'd wanted to get a Hollowbody at some point and the little woman was on board for it.

How the deal got done might be useful/interesting to some. We used escrow.com. The seller wasn't comfortable with shipping the guitar or doing something other than face to face for a transaction, but he's half a continent away from me. He wasn't comfortable with any of the modern forms of electronic payment. The only way he'd do it was with a wire transfer. I wasn't ok with wiring the money directly to him.

I did a little search for escrow services, and found escrow.com. It's super slick and not very expensive. I paid the escrow fees, which came to $87. The wire transfer to the escrow service cost me $20. That's about the same as PayPal's transaction fees. The way it works is that buyer and seller create accounts and set the terms of the deal. I wired the money to escrow.com. Once they receive it, the seller ships the item. When it arrived, I had a mutually agreed upon inspection period. The guitar is exactly what I expected. If it hadn't been, I'd have had the option to ship it back to the seller. I'd have been out the shipping costs and escrow fees. Once I accepted the guitar, they released the money to the seller.

I've rarely seen mention of anyone using an escrow service anymore, but this one seemed cost-effective and reasonable in how it works. I thought that it would be worth sharing, just in case anyone else finds themselves in a similar situation. I'll use escrow.com again, if the circumstances line up right.

As for the guitar--it's awesome! I spent Friday night getting it cleaned up, a setup, and playing it for an hour or so. It's so nice when a guitar is exactly as described and in great shape. It's barely seen any use, having been owned by a collector and then by the fellow I bought it from. He's a bass player, and doesn't seem to have played the guitar much. It's such a beautiful build and finish, with a great feel to it. The frets seem smaller than most of my other PRSs, and one of these days I'll measure and compare them. I'm just enjoying playing it for now.

JnWSEmK.jpg

MacSfsn.jpg

ZLHbDnw.jpg
Nice.

I just mean plain in terms of options. It’s a pretty guitar, for sure.

String Swing had a buy a five-guitar hanging rack, get a 3-guitar rack free sale going on (might still be going). Those showed up on Thursday, too. I was going to get that up on the wall this weekend, but the new guitar has been monopolizing my time.:D

Congraluations on a sweet guitar! Sometimes fate steps in and like they say, the guitar finds you.

Last edited:
That is so cool!! That guitar was meant for you! It's a stunner!! Enjoy
Thanks! I'm guessing PRS was finishing somewhere between 50 and 60 guitars a day in Maryland then. I feel fortunate to have found it. Not a lot of sellers put a hangtag in their ad, and I just happened to be poking around and found it.

I'm a person who very much attaches memories to objects. Just picking the guitar up brings to mind so many emotions and moments. I'm not much of a musician, but what an inspirational instrument in such a personal way. It's going to be fun to see what it brings out of me.

I just mean plain in terms of options. It’s a pretty guitar, for sure.

String Swing had a buy a five-guitar hanging rack, get a 3-guitar rack free sale going on (might still be going). Those showed up on Thursday, too. I was going to get that up on the wall this weekend, but the new guitar has been monopolizing my time.:D
Careful with those wall racks. This guitar may be too nice for hanging.

Really fantastic "plain" PRS! :D

Congrats on the new guitar! That is one of my all time favorite PRS finishes. I have a CU22 in that finish. It was my first PRS guitar.

Thanks for sharing the info on the escrow service. I hadn't thought about doing something like that for a sale.

Back