NGD - Holcomb SE

alantig

Zombie Four, DFZ
Finally pulled the trigger on a Holcomb SE at Brian's event in CT last week. It turned out to be the one Mark played on stage that night, so I have proof that the guitar CAN sound good. And Mark signed it.

Headback.jpg

Neck.jpg

Body1.jpg

Body2.jpg

Body3.jpg

Pretty neat how the color and quilt shift as the angle changes.

And maybe it's just me, but I see a bit of a vampire clown face in the top.

Face.jpg

I'm really looking to play around with dropped timings with this. Mark talked about a few things at the clinic that made me think about it a little bit differently. And he popped the sixth string down to A, and it stayed in tune beautifully, so there's even more flexibility than I was imagining.

Congrats Alan! What photo effect are you using in that last pic? It looks kinda like a buddha face:)

Congrats Alan! What photo effect are you using in that last pic? It looks kinda like a buddha face:)

Photoshop Elements 10 - I just used the lasso tool to select the 'face', inverted the selection, removed the color and took the brightness way down on the rest of the picture. I think maybe a little added saturation on the color.

How'd I miss you again? First Experience, now Brian's...

@alantig,
Amazing opportunity to own an instrument played recently by its godfather.
Question: Does your TRC is laying on the headstock completely?

Awesome snag, congrats! You mentioned Mark dropped his bottom string to A reliably. Do you know if this string was the stock string normally supplied/shipped with these guys - 52 gauge?

That guitar sounded amazing.....now all you need is a Fractal unit and his skills :)

Funny - I said something similar to him after the clinic. I said, "Well, this thing is never going to sound THAT good again!"

Awesome snag, congrats! You mentioned Mark dropped his bottom string to A reliably. Do you know if this string was the stock string normally supplied/shipped with these guys - 52 gauge?

As far as I know. To the best of my knowledge, it went from the box to the stage.

I grabbed one of these as well at the event and i have a Core Holcomb as well, To me these feel like an 11-56 set as i have the 10-52's on the Core and the SE is noticeably tighter in drop c than the core is (i keep the Core in Eb w 10-52's). I know Mark uses 11-56 live and if he was going to be playing one at the event i wonder if he had them setup with them before hand, if he didn't know which one he would be playing.

Finally pulled the trigger on a Holcomb SE at Brian's event in CT last week. It turned out to be the one Mark played on stage that night, so I have proof that the guitar CAN sound good. And Mark signed it.

Headback.jpg

Neck.jpg

Body1.jpg

Body2.jpg

Body3.jpg

Pretty neat how the color and quilt shift as the angle changes.

And maybe it's just me, but I see a bit of a vampire clown face in the top.

Face.jpg

I'm really looking to play around with dropped timings with this. Mark talked about a few things at the clinic that made me think about it a little bit differently. And he popped the sixth string down to A, and it stayed in tune beautifully, so there's even more flexibility than I was imagining.

That is gorgeous Alan,
Congrats, enjoy it but take it easy on the neighbors' ears :D

Nice! I picked up the Holcomb not too long ago but haven't used it too too much yet. I needed something for Drop A but it's usage is still pretty limited.

Back