NGD: Feelin' Blue

thx712517

I found myself without an electric guitar recently. After testing everything I could get my hands on (Gibson, Fender, Gretsch, Epiphone, you name it) for a few weeks I made the decision and bought an SE Standard 24.

Never had a blue guitar before, although I'm a fan of Fender's Lake Placid Blue. I'm enjoying the flexibility of this guitar, bouncing back and forth between humbucker and single coil mode. The trem system is very nice, much more like a Bigsby vibrato in the strength required to move it (which I favor) as opposed to the Stratocaster's more wobbly arm.

FrhOFzY.jpg

TV7Uj9J.jpg

Playing through my Vox AC4C1-12 at the moment. It's a good amp, I replaced the stock speaker with a Celestion Alnico blue. I plan to get my pedals dusted off and plugged in - an Electro-Harmonix Holy Grail reverb and a Soul Food overdrive.

I intend to keep the guitar stock for as long as possible, something I've never done before. Although the SE locking tuners look nice.

@thx712517 My first PRS was an SE Standard 22 in Transparent Blue, so I salute your taste. :)

Less than 3 years later I have 8. That's not unusual here, so start making room for them now.

In the meanwhile, thoroughly enjoy your beautiful guitar! (but please remember to eat & sleep -- it's important. You can only avoid those things for a limited time. Don't ask.)

Very nice! Sweet amp, too!
Thank you. It's outlasted a Fender Jaguar, an SG, the old SE Tremonti with a wraparound bridge, and one or two others I'm sure I'm forgetting. It's in need of a new power tube at least, overdue for some TLC.

Okay, help me out here. I bought a new set of strings at the same time I bought the guitar, and my quick Google search said PRS used 9s on the SE line. Got a set of Elixirs. But stringing it up, it felt like the action was off a bit from playing in the store, a little lower, and there was more string rattle.

Ah, I said to myself, it must have been 10s and I simply found an outdated reference. Bought a set of 10s and strung it up. Nope. Action is higher and the bridge is pulled up higher. Huh. So I screwed the claw in a bit to balance the tension, and that helped a smidge. But the action is still higher.

Was I right the first time and PRS uses 9s? Is there some wonky 9.5 set I'm not aware of?

Back