NGD cont.......New Truss rod cover and pick up rings

tip

I got these two items from eBay. 34$ for the wooden flamed maple rings and 40$ for the inlay custom rose truss rod cover.

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Dig it! Nice upgrades! Do they make a switch tip to match those rings?

Dig it! Nice upgrades! Do they make a switch tip to match those rings?

Great idea on the switch tip. Hmmm..... not sure they would clash or have your eye go to it.

Maybe someone could start a company that does different upgrade renderings on the net to help display the choices of cosmetic enhancements?

When I first started looking into this I scouted eBay. I found 4 or more replacement humbucker ring folks.
The seller wanted to talk me into an ebony and showed me why but I found it too high end looking.
I find the 10 top, Leprocaun green, to be more casual.
So I found another example on the internet and IMHO this color matches with the maple ones.
I told my luthier I wanted a beachy, wet, casual look to it so I opted for maple.

BTW: I have quite a few guitars and this is the only one I upgraded in this manner.

These 57/08 pickups are really impressing me. NGD is a winner, so far!

Last edited:
I've put rosewood rings on 3 of my prs guitars. I really love the look. My McCarty has rosewood rings and toggle cap, man does it look cool!

Very elegant and matches beautifully with the faux binding
I never liked the pure white plastic ring and binding they are using

Nice stuff! I like the upgraded look a lot. But I'll be honest, I like the stock look of most PRSi too, and yours stock was not exactly shabby-looking!

Did someone say Rosewood rings?

Oliveti-Mens-Dome-Titanium-Ring-with-Real-Santos-Rosewood-Inlay-Comfort-Fit-Ring-3f99ef50-a1d3-481c-9e7a-774fc1fabde6_600.jpg

:vroam:

OT: I like the upgrades! Very nice!

Did you notice any change in the sound when you put the wood rings on?

Yes Dogrocket, It sounds more Mapley, like Grandma's scratch waffles.

Actually it came back from the luthier with the mods and I got the High E and B stop tail slots de-burred. Which really helped.

With this one I am not sacrificing resonance for speed.
I kept the 10-46 and slightly high action for vibration/lushness splendor. This guitar has such a feel and tone.
But to be honest I couldn't shred fast bends the other night at practice. I got back out my TA short scale for the gig this weekend.

Ooh, I like the flower.

Tell you the truth I been vacillating on the maple rings and loving the rose. Then the next day.... wanting to lose the flower and try some rosewood rings.
Could say Waffling.....

but I already explained the Vermont connection above.
Fast forward.... I am digging on it again. Maple goodness grade A.

Funny what a few things do to vary the original tried and true CU22 design. Next thing you know I'll replace the 57/08's with RIC toasters and have a guitar that would make Aunt Jemima proud.

Last edited:
Back