NGD - Belated SAS SE Edition

What are your thoughts on the SAS’s tone? Is it as twangy as a lot of the demos have made it out to be, or is that just due to the way that players are picking?

I still need to get one in my hands. I just haven’t had a chance to make it to my local PRS shop.

Do you have a pic of the back?

Here’s that ass pic you were asking for…

IMG-7739.jpg

What are your thoughts on the SAS’s tone? Is it as twangy as a lot of the demos have made it out to be, or is that just due to the way that players are picking?

Hmmm…well, twang-ocity being in the ears of the beholder, it is hard to say. It can definitely get twangy, but that’s part of the reason it is what it is. Running ‘buckers it has some snap I’d attribute mostly to the maple board but they are pretty warm. The single coil positions are where you can dial up the twang-ocity but there’s quite a bit of range between the positions and the tone pot. For me, it added some snap and twang to my arsenal I didn’t quite have…when I need it. Seems like it would be a very versatile gigging axe.

So the SAS SE came home last week, upgraded to locking tuners and set up for 10s. A variety of pictures below. Note the chameleon effect of the charcoal finish. There is a lot of tan and brown in it, it can look pretty dark or quite varied, depending on the light. I really dig the finish. Man, this thing plays like a dream. I feel like I should point out, given the frequent SE QC gripes we've had of late, that everything about this instrument is about as perfect as you could expect. I'm sure the set up by my local shop helps, but the fret work is clean and nice and "fit and finish" are flawless. It also clocks in at a back-friendly 7.1# :cool: I've probably got 10+ hours on it now, and I'm really happy with the tonal versatility. Running 'buckers it gives me a familiar sound, with a little extra snap from the maple board. Bringing the middle in and going for single coil tones, there is a lot of versatility to this guitar, and to my ear all the positions sound great and very usable. The neck is phenomenal, really comfortable to play. A keeper for sure, it fits perfectly in my stable and gets high marks for versatility.

Pic dump:

IMG-7724.jpg

IMG-7721.jpg

IMG-7722.jpg

IMG-7723.jpg

IMG-7731.jpg

IMG-7614.jpg

Sweet!

BTW, the neck pickup is flipped the wrong way round...

Where are people getting locking tuners and are they drop-in exact match of core quality?

The PRS SE locking tuners drop right in and they work fantastic.

Back