NGD - Belated SAS SE Edition

FragileThunder

The Space Between The Notes
So the SAS SE came home last week, upgraded to locking tuners and set up for 10s. A variety of pictures below. Note the chameleon effect of the charcoal finish. There is a lot of tan and brown in it, it can look pretty dark or quite varied, depending on the light. I really dig the finish. Man, this thing plays like a dream. I feel like I should point out, given the frequent SE QC gripes we've had of late, that everything about this instrument is about as perfect as you could expect. I'm sure the set up by my local shop helps, but the fret work is clean and nice and "fit and finish" are flawless. It also clocks in at a back-friendly 7.1# :cool: I've probably got 10+ hours on it now, and I'm really happy with the tonal versatility. Running 'buckers it gives me a familiar sound, with a little extra snap from the maple board. Bringing the middle in and going for single coil tones, there is a lot of versatility to this guitar, and to my ear all the positions sound great and very usable. The neck is phenomenal, really comfortable to play. A keeper for sure, it fits perfectly in my stable and gets high marks for versatility.

Pic dump:

IMG-7724.jpg

IMG-7721.jpg

IMG-7722.jpg

IMG-7723.jpg

IMG-7731.jpg

IMG-7614.jpg

Congrats and nice score! The SASse is a damn solid guitar begging at my can't leave well enough alone mod side.. When they release a RW fretboard..It's on! :)

I'm one that's noticed a lot of se QC inconsistencies lately. The several SASse I've played have been solid with zero complaints. Same goes gone for the occasional Cu24 I pick up. Some other fan favs have been another story, but I think that's more a training and ramping up production than issues here to stay. This is PRS after all, quality matters.

I couldn't agree more, shop care is a big factor. Some shops have been excellent and others the opposite. Buy independent and local if you can..

Nice upgrades! Do you notice any tone difference with the brass shaft locker's? My local Dealer actually got a charcoal SAS that was basically light brown, guess it's the way the different pieces of ash absorb the stain, it looked so cool I wish I had jumped on it.

Nice upgrades! Do you notice any tone difference with the brass shaft locker's? My local Dealer actually got a charcoal SAS that was basically light brown, guess it's the way the different pieces of ash absorb the stain, it looked so cool I wish I had jumped on it.

Honestly, I knew I wanted lockers on there so the only play time it got without them was when I initially checked it out in the shop. I can't make any qualified judgement on tonal differences but I'm more likely to make timely string changes and that definitely impacts tone! :D

Nice! I just played my new SAS SE with the band for the first time today. Lots of fun! I haven't got the locking tuners installed yet, but they're coming and I'll get the factory strings off as soon as they arrive... Enjoy!

Nice! Yours is gorgeous, glad you got it out to make music for the people!

So the SAS SE came home last week, upgraded to locking tuners and set up for 10s. A variety of pictures below. Note the chameleon effect of the charcoal finish. There is a lot of tan and brown in it, it can look pretty dark or quite varied, depending on the light. I really dig the finish. Man, this thing plays like a dream. I feel like I should point out, given the frequent SE QC gripes we've had of late, that everything about this instrument is about as perfect as you could expect. I'm sure the set up by my local shop helps, but the fret work is clean and nice and "fit and finish" are flawless. It also clocks in at a back-friendly 7.1# :cool: I've probably got 10+ hours on it now, and I'm really happy with the tonal versatility. Running 'buckers it gives me a familiar sound, with a little extra snap from the maple board. Bringing the middle in and going for single coil tones, there is a lot of versatility to this guitar, and to my ear all the positions sound great and very usable. The neck is phenomenal, really comfortable to play. A keeper for sure, it fits perfectly in my stable and gets high marks for versatility.

Pic dump:

IMG-7724.jpg

IMG-7721.jpg

IMG-7722.jpg

IMG-7723.jpg

IMG-7731.jpg

IMG-7614.jpg
Noice

Where are people getting locking tuners and are they drop-in exact match of core quality?

Back