NGD! '94 McCarty in Tortoise Shell...

AndyK

Just got this one yesterday. It was advertised on eBay as Root beer, but it says Tortoise Shell under the pickup, so now I know what color she is! Buying a used 20 year old guitar is always a crap shoot, and can be interesting. This guitar has some buckle scrapes on the back, and a few minor dings on the top, but overall, has been very well cared for over the years.

It also looks to me like it has had at least on refret, judging by the sloppy looking nut ends. And, a recent grind and polish probably. The action at the first fret was terrible until I filed the nut slots down to match the fret height better. Now she plays fine, intonation is perfect - but I think I will be sending her to the PTC for a fret job in the near future. I want PRS perfection!

Another interesting 'feature' - someone put dual toggle switches in (both non PRS). So, you could pull the tone knob, and only the bridge pickup is single coil. Pull the volume knob, and only the neck pickup is single. A useless feature for me, and I just ordered a PRS drop in wiring harness to bring it back to stock - adding the single push pull tone knob that wasn't around in '94.

The pickups must have been changed recently since there is no tarnish on them. Both McCarty - bridge and neck. I was kinda looking forward to the original Dragon bass pickups, but I guess I can always sell the McCarty pickups if I want to change later on.

Here she is!

IMG_3267_zpsd715f358.jpg

IMG_3261_zps0e29a734.jpg

IMG_3255_zpsea7bf96f.jpg

IMG_3256_zps5b13b4cd.jpg

IMG_3260_zps360422df.jpg

That's awesome! It does look lighter in color than my tortoise shell. Good buy I'd say! Enjoy the weekend.

That's awesome! It does look lighter in color than my tortoise shell. Good buy I'd say! Enjoy the weekend.

Thanks. I think it depends on the wood, the flames, etc. Tighter flames could mean darker color? Or, paint and stain colors vary from year to year.

Every piece of wood takes stain differently.

But that's a looker, and a very cool buy!

Every piece of wood takes stain differently.

But that's a looker, and a very cool buy!

Thanks. Not only does each piece of wood differ, the same guitar looks completely different in different light. That's why I took photos outside, inside with flash, inside no flash.

Great finish and sounds like - with a couple of tweaks - still a great player!

Couple of tweaks - and a fret job!

But I figure they're not making '94 McCartys anymore, so it pays to get it back in shape.

Hard to beat a good McCarty. I don't think you're missing out on much not having the original pups, there are tons of great choices for replacements, both PRS and other...

I was watching that one last week, these pics really do it justice. Good pickup.

Yeah, the auction pics were lifeless. I took a chance based on the seller saying the top and sides had no damage. Worked out well. I usually don't win no reserve auctions.

Back