NGD: 2017 Custom 24 in black cherry, 10 top, wood library.

StSpider

First off I want to thank all of you who chimed into my previous posts about this guitar.

I ended up picking it up after trying in briefly, and I'm happy I did.

First, photos:

wFZoutD.jpg

tGtE4I7.jpg

XzPbDBP.jpg

The color is so hard to photograph, and there's little natural light where I live this time of the year, so apologies if the pictures don't do it justice.

The choice of woods is absolutely regular (mahogany, maple, indian rosewood), while the "wood library" moniker I think depends on the fact that the dealer chose a few unconventional specs: all nickel hardware, custom color, headstock has no veneer, golden logo, pattern regular neck. It is a sort of tribute to late 90s/early 2000 customs, as @garrett pointed out.

I also own a 91 CE with the alder body and maple/rosewood fretboard, all stock with HFS and VB pickups. Compared to that, two things surprised me. First off, the pattern regular neck shouldn't be that much thicker than a wide/thin neck, but you can definitely feel it filling up the hand more. It's incredibily comfortable, might be my favorite neck ever.

Second, the 85/15 pickups are leaps and bounds ahead of the HFS and VB of yore. They are powerful yet clear, with very nice, snappy attack that is not overwhelming. Position 1 and 5 are so much better than position 10 and 6 on the CE's rotary switch. I've never had pickups that sounds so good in a variety of situations, from classic rock to modern metal. They take gain incredibly well.

However, the split positions on the CE are way more interesting than position 2 to 4 on the Custom (especially position 2 and 3). I think I'll go ahead and install a Schaller megaswitch P in the near future.

All in all, very happy that I got myself this nice christmas present.

And happy holidays to all of you!

lEExufT.jpg

First off I want to thank all of you who chimed into my previous posts about this guitar.

I ended up picking it up after trying in briefly, and I'm happy I did.

First, photos:

wFZoutD.jpg

tGtE4I7.jpg

XzPbDBP.jpg

The color is so hard to photograph, and there's little natural light where I live this time of the year, so apologies if the pictures don't do it justice.

The choice of woods is absolutely regular (mahogany, maple, indian rosewood), while the "wood library" moniker I think depends on the fact that the dealer chose a few unconventional specs: all nickel hardware, custom color, headstock has no veneer, golden logo, pattern regular neck. It is a sort of tribute to late 90s/early 2000 customs, as @garrett pointed out.

I also own a 91 CE with the alder body and maple/rosewood fretboard, all stock with HFS and VB pickups. Compared to that, two things surprised me. First off, the pattern regular neck shouldn't be that much thicker than a wide/thin neck, but you can definitely feel it filling up the hand more. It's incredibily comfortable, might be my favorite neck ever.

Second, the 85/15 pickups are leaps and bounds ahead of the HFS and VB of yore. They are powerful yet clear, with very nice, snappy attack that is not overwhelming. Position 1 and 5 are so much better than position 10 and 6 on the CE's rotary switch. I've never had pickups that sounds so good in a variety of situations, from classic rock to modern metal. They take gain incredibly well.

However, the split positions on the CE are way more interesting than position 2 to 4 on the Custom (especially position 2 and 3). I think I'll go ahead and install a Schaller megaswitch P in the near future.

All in all, very happy that I got myself this nice christmas present.

And happy holidays to all of you!

lEExufT.jpg
Nice.

Sweeeeet.

I fully agree on the pickups and electronics differences.
Thanks again garrett. My doubt about going the megaswitch route is that at their core the 85/15s sound way different than the HFS/VB, so I wonder if those pickup combination I love on the CE will still sound good on the Custom..

Have you tried it yourself?

Nice! It is similar to my Custom 24 20th Anniversary 10-Top from 2006 in Black Cherry.

It has the HFS and VB pickups. I’ve sometimes thought about swapping the pickups, but always end up deciding against it because they just belong in that guitar. For better or worse, they just are what that guitar is about, for me.

Last edited:
Thanks again garrett. My doubt about going the megaswitch route is that at their core the 85/15s sound way different than the HFS/VB, so I wonder if those pickup combination I love on the CE will still sound good on the Custom..

Have you tried it yourself?

I tinkered with the wiring on a CU22 with the 85/15 pickups. The outside coils do sound good. I haven't tried the inner coils in series, but it will be a beefier version of what you get with position 4 of the blade.

Back